Author Topic: Magazine Question  (Read 690 times)

Offline Original Ken

• Trade Count: (0)
Magazine Question
« on: March 07, 2003, 09:04:10 AM »
I have heard everything on loaded magazines from leaving them loaded forever to changing them out once a week.  I have a Ruger automatic as well as a 1911.  My general rule of thumb is that I change to different mags about every 10 days or so.  Having 4 mags for each will give the spring "a rest" if that is really necessary.  I did have a guy tell me his spring in his mag went to the happy hunting ground from not being changed or rested.  I asked him how long it had been since the mag had been touched and he told me 3 years!!!  I would think that would be excessive for any magazine spring.  I think that if you change them once a month you should be fine.   :-D
This Be The Original Ken
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Shooters: We have lost an old friend, and I am saddened by his passing. Ken Stufft, who we knew as The Original Ken, passed away unexpectedly on March 22, 2004.

Offline R. Tillery

• Avid Poster
Magazine Question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 09:25:08 AM »
I carry an auto on duty and off. I rotate my mags every 3-4 MONTHS. This has been my standard practice for the past 20 years.

I also rotate my duty/carry ammo at the same time.
'I hope that's not my ivory-handled Colt your fingers are ticklin'!'

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Magazines
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2003, 10:11:49 AM »
ck:  I'm a bad boy in this regard and even moreso since the Original Ken responded as to how much of a good boy he is in this regard.  

I have used magazines for 1911s tht have been loaded and left in desk drawers, glove boxes, tool boxes or fishing kits, for years.  I 'try' to take all my different magazines to the range about once every 6 months when I go out to blast off ammo, kick cans or re-establish my 'skills' - and shoot the ammo I have had loaded into them for that time.  I have never had a 45 magazine go south on me with that practice.  The same applies to the magazines in my Tokarev, Berettas or Walthers.  None have failed on me.  But, I also make certain each one of them works properly before I start carrying the gun.  I have seen and shot magazines full of ammunition that have been laying around for years.  About 15 years ago I purchased a bunch of loose 45 ammo from a friend who said his Dad had picked it up years before - I thought it was WWII steel cased stuff but it turned out to be WWI cupro-nickled bulleted ammo.  The box also contained two magazines that were fully loaded.  They functioned perfectly - can't say the same for the ammo, but the mags worked just fine.  

I wouldn't worry too much about leaving a mag full of ammo around for a while - just make certain it continues to work for you before you need it.  Hope this helps.  Mikey.

Offline TopGun

• Avid Poster
Magazines
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2003, 01:37:49 PM »
I shoot a M92FS competetively. From April through September the magazines are loaded and used once per week. From September through end of March, it is usually loaded and I empty the loaded mags at least once per month. I have used these same mags since purchasing the gun in early '94. The only problem I ever encountered was the lips get worn paper thin from being used so much. I replaced 2 over the years. I have about 6 hi-caps and 2 factory 10rds. The only time my 92 misfed was due to teh worn lips. I also use a Kimber Custom Combat as much, and the mags do not wear the same. Anyway, my magazines can sit as much as a month idle. My 45's are idle at least that long, cuz sometimes I use my S&W 625 Mountain gun and full-moons. I vote to keep em loaded. I'll bet Law enforcement are kept at least a month or two without getting changed.
Good luck.
The first shot is the best shot, it may be your only shot!  Do it with a single-shot.
NRA Life Member 1980
HHI Member #2933
NAHC Life Member
RMEF Member