Author Topic: New toy in need of good scope...  (Read 371 times)

Offline M1A Scout Squad Rifle

• Trade Count: (0)
New toy in need of good scope...
« on: December 05, 2005, 12:54:47 PM »
I am returning soon from my third tour over here in Iraq, I have found me a new toy the M1A Scout Squad Rifle from springfield-armory. I was wondering what type of scope you would put on this gun. I have never had to buy a LER scope I would like to keep it under $500. But  since I am pay abbot $1700 for the rifle, I want a good scope for the gun and will consider a little more money if need be. I will be doing a lot of shooting at 200+ yrds. If you can please give me some info, One of my buddies suggested a burris handgun scope but I don't know anything about handgun scopes dont know if it would be good at 200+yrs.
          SemperFi
Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
-George S. Patton -

Offline jamie

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 01:26:47 PM »
The Burris scopes have been hit or miss for me.  One was awsome and the other has been nothing but trouble.  For whatever the reason they can't seem to get the particles off the inside lens of the scope.  They have good eye relief but it changes as the power setting changes.  The Bushnell Elites 2x6 have pretty much a fixed eye relief (give or take a mm) through out the magnification range.  These scopes are extremely good in quality both optically and mechanically.  If you must have more magnification than that Burris does make a 3x12 but like I said you need to make sure that the eye relief will be sufficient at 12x.  Nikon makes a 2x8 but again the eye relief changes with magnification.

Yes, handgun scopes are very legitimate for 200 yrd shooting.  I shoot prairie dogs at that distance (and then some) with my 15" Encore.
AMMO...
LiFe, Liberty and the Pursuit of all those that threaten it!

Offline M1A Scout Squad Rifle

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 03:26:52 PM »
But is there a LER rifle scope out there that I might want to look into, Instead of a handgun scope??? Some were around 10+ Inches for this rifle. Like I said don't know anything about LER scopes.
Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
-George S. Patton -

Offline one eye joe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 02:28:06 PM »
Burris, and a few others I think, used to make an IER scope (intermediate eye relief) just for scout applications. They are typically about 2.5x. I shot a .308 scout in Wyoming a few years back antelope hunting, and found that this was all I needed for magnification. It surprised at the range, that I was able to hold sub moa groups with such little power.