Author Topic: Peep sight hunting question  (Read 357 times)

Offline jpstrait

• Trade Count: (0)
Peep sight hunting question
« on: December 13, 2005, 08:43:21 AM »
I've been hunting with a lyman 66 peep sight and williams fire sight front on my marlins. The fire sight measures 3/32" and when I take aim at a target at 50 yards, it seems to cover most of what I'm shooting at. I've  been looking at replacing the fire sights with a lyman or marbles 1/16" gold or ivory bead. Does anyone have any experience with either sight and is it easy to pickup the bead in low light? Which would be better in low light application or woods hunting, gold or ivory? Finally, do you think 3/32 to 1/16 would make a big enough difference in seeing the target better? Thanks for any replies. J-P

Offline VA Jim

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • Avid Poster
Peep sight hunting question
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 03:55:06 PM »
I've used all the sights you're talking about.  I used the ivory bead before the fiber optics became available and I did like it better than the brass, but you will still lose the front sight well before you would lose the fiber optic.  I've been using the Marbles green fiber optic for a few years now and it seems to give me a few extra minutes of shooting time over the orange.  I don't think the 3/32 is a problem for shots under 100 yds.

Jim