Author Topic: What Scope/mounts for $300  (Read 495 times)

Offline MarkM

• Trade Count: (0)
What Scope/mounts for $300
« on: December 05, 2005, 03:55:00 AM »
I have got a Savage 116 in a 270 WSM on order. Need to scope  it and I have $300 to spend on scope and mounts/rings. What are some scope ideas for around $250 and can I get good mounts/rings for $50?

Mark

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 04:05:30 AM »
Check The Optic Zones prices. Nikon Monarch scopes are in that price range. A fixed 4x Leupold is a bit higher. Talley light weight one piece rings are about $40.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 05:34:10 AM »
I also would recommend the Nikon Monarch.  Very nice scope.  As for the rings and bases, I would go with the Burris mounts with Signature Rings.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline june6th1944

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 07:57:37 AM »
You could go with a Burris Fullfield II and use Burris Signature double dovetail and Signature inserts.  I've got these on a .30-06 Remington ADL.  That scope is outstanding and an excellent value.  I've got the Ballistiplex reticle, but I don't use it.  You can get a scope w/o that reticle.

The Signature rings w/ inserts are self-centering, so mounting a scope is easy and flawless.  You can adjust the scope in the rings, if needed, before touching the adjustments on the scope.  By doing this, you are truly looking down the center of the scope, more so than if you make large adjustments with standard rings (no inserts).

You should be able to buy all of this for <$250.  As mentioned above, the Nikon Monarch would be another excellent choice.

Good luck.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 12:12:43 PM »
My vote also goes for the Nikon Monarch.  I own several (and I mean several) Nikon scopes (both Monarch and Pre-Monarch) and they have never failed me.  It's hard to find a better scope in the $250 to $300 range, except for the Elite 4200, but they tend to be a bit more expensive.

As for the scope mounts, I tend to prefer the Leupold Dual Dovetail, especially on harder kicking rifles, although you can't go wrong with the Burris rings that Jon suggested.  The good thing about those rings is that they have those synthetic inserts and it prevents making ring marks on the tube, plus it seems to help with the alignment of the scope so that the tube is not pinched during installation.

Zachary

Offline Lawdog

Re: What Scope/mounts for $300
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 12:21:02 PM »
Quote from: MarkM
I have got a Savage 116 in a 270 WSM on order. Need to scope  it and I have $300 to spend on scope and mounts/rings. What are some scope ideas for around $250 and can I get good mounts/rings for $50?

Mark

When ever someone wants a scope and is on a budget I tell them to go to Ebay at http://sporting-goods.listings.ebay.com/Scopes-Optics-Lasers_Rifle-Scopes_W0QQfromZR4QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ31714QQsocmdZListingItemList and look at the over 2,500 they have offered there.  I have bought brand new Leupold's, Burris's and other top brand models there for less the $250.00 budget you have.  Stop by and check, you're not out a penny for looking.  By the way I have a Savage .270 WSM and you really need a decent variable in the 4-14x, 4-16x power range to take full advantage of the cartridge.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.