Author Topic: Rocky Bearclaw 3D Boot? Need feedback  (Read 4518 times)

Offline Gray

• Trade Count: (0)
Rocky Bearclaw 3D Boot? Need feedback
« on: August 02, 2005, 07:18:26 AM »
I am looking at a pair of these Bearclaw 3D boots.  Can anyone provide any feedback on them?  Comfort, wear?  Are they much different than the Bearclaw Classic boot?  Thanks, Greg.

Offline tucoblue

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 02:56:35 AM »
I've had two pairs of Rocky boots. Won't do it ever again. Had the Rocky Bearclaw II boots. Cabela's took them back when I could not wear them because they hurt the top of my foot even without laces. The replacement Rocky boots I also cannot wear. The boots are comfortable but no matter what combination of socks I wear the boots swallow them and I wind up with socks and toes fighting for space. Cost me $140.00. Don't recall the model. They're sitting in the garage. I didn't return them to Cabela's even though they will take them back. Tried to deal with Rocky because the issue is with THEM and not Cabela's. Lots of discussion with them over the "Socks" issue and they won't do anything to "Satisfy the customer".

I have had Herman, Wolverine, and Sorel boots (Plus others I cannot recall at the moment). My current favorite is Irish Setter boots. I have two pairs. They are great.

I have hunted and fished and worn boots for over 50 years and have never had issues with any boots until I tried to team up with Rocky. In my view they are not concerned with quality and customer satisfaction.

Offline Greenhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 09:09:01 AM »
I have owned 3 pair of Rocky BearClaws and each time the soles fell apart. I rotate my boots regularly and don't overuse any one pair. But the soles would be in good shape and then start falling apart as I walked through the woods. I called Rocky to advise them of the problem with the composition of their boot soles and they seemed not to care. I resoled all three boots with quality Vibram soles at $50 a pair and have not had a problem since.

Offline 379 Peterbilt

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 07:10:00 PM »
Tough pill to swallow knowing that hard earned money is spent on gear that the manufacturer will not back up. I would call them and keep asking for the supervisor of whoever you are talking to. Dont give up with the first person that you talk to. Good luck.

tucoblue, That is kind of surprising that you wont send them back to Cabelas, seeins' how they failed ya. I would think that if Cabelas recieved a ton of these boots back, they would be inclined to discontinue that line of Rocky boots.

Offline MI VHNTR

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 02:27:37 PM »
I had the same problem with the Bearclaw boots. The soles fell apart. You could tell where I had walked by following the pieces of sole material that I left behind. Never again. There are a lot better boots out there.              MI VHNTR
NRA Endowment Member
The Second Amendment isn't about hunting. It's about Freedom.

Offline tucoblue

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 02:37:28 PM »
379 Peterbuilt, I read your post the other day and agree 100% regarding returning the boots to Cabela's in order to make them aware of the Rocky boot problem. Today I called Cabela's customer service and had a 20 minute conversation with them regarding my displeasure with Rocky boots. Cabela's will take the boots back with no problem but as I already mentioned I'm not doing it. The issue is not with Cabela's but with Rocky. Cabela's has records of my complaints on Rocky and that information goes to the buyers.

Hopefully someone from Rocky reads these posts. After MUCH dialog with Rocky and their disinterest in resolving the issue I can and WILL in clear conscience forever offer negative views on Rocky. If someone from Rocky wants to correct my issue with them fine. I wanted credit for HALF the value of the boots towards another pair of boots. Rocky was not interested. In my circle of friends I'm sure I've cost them more than half the value of a pair of Super Brute boots. Good for me.

As far as Cabela's I can say nothing but GREAT things about them. Even though they offered to take the hit for Rocky I do not feel they should  have to do this. That's just me.

Offline 379 Peterbilt

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 04:19:25 PM »
tucoblue, well said.

I have always been impressed with Cabelas, especialy with their customer service dept and friendlyness. There is a reason they are 'the worlds foremost outfitter' Also impressed with the fact that you are eating these boots like a man instead of passing them back to Cabelas.

As per your boot failure -That's what this forum is for. If it is something you are unhappy with, post it so others might be warned. On the other hand, if it is a quality item that you're happy with, please post that too.

Its all opinions, I know. But it all helps too.

Offline Kodi

Re: Rocky Bearclaw 3D Boot? Need feedback
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 03:34:29 AM »
I had the sole issue with a pair of Rocky boots.  Contacted Rocky customer service and they are sending me a new pair of soles.  I have to pay to have the soles put on.  This is on a 3 year old pair of boots.

Offline S & W 642

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 04:02:39 AM »
Yes I know this is hard to belive but, I have had a pair of Rocky cornstalker boots for 14 years they have been great Now I only wear them for about 3 months a year, and this year the soles got soft and started to come off but I attributed this to age. I just wonder about quality boots of several years ago verses quality of boots of today.
Eph2:8-9

Offline .54

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 02:51:58 AM »
I also have a pair of Rocky Corntsalker boots that are about 12 years old. They've been thru hell and just won't wear out. The soles finally started deteriorating about 5 years back and I had them resoled with new Vibram soles. I have a feeling the boots will be here long after I'm gone. I have worn them for days at a time in sub zero weather and never had to worry about cold feet.
I finally just got a hankering for a new pair of boots and just bought some Wolverine boots that I really like. Whether they'll last as long as the Rocky boots remains to be seen.

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 07:28:02 AM »
         I had the Cornstalkers for 12 yrs. hunting and construction, the warmest boot I ever used. I didn't take very good care of them but they stayed waterproof right to the end! I didn't get them at Cabelas but at there factory outlet store in Nelsonville Ohio about half the price. They were made there- USA but not any more, now made someware south of the border- NAFTA. Maby thats the problem with the newer ones, I hope not because I have a new pair of the Bearclaws fine sofar. I found out don't wear tube socks with any boots.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline gt2003

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 03:33:17 PM »
I've got a pair of rocky bear claws and the soles are disintegrating on them also.  They were great for maybe 3-4 years.  I had them out last week and it looks like my dog has gnawed off the bottoms of the soles.  I'm currently considering the LaCrosse Alpha burlys.  Any other advice?  Thanks, Greg

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 06:14:47 AM »
My son and I each have Bearclas's.  His sole fell apart last year and mine did this year.  Rocky sent each of us a free replacement set of soles.  I took my boots to a shoeshop and the owner refuse to put the Rocky soles on, but agreed to put on Vibram soles.  Cost was $50.

Don't think I'll try anyone's boot with knobby soles. 

Offline theoldarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 05:11:59 AM »
Same problem as Greenhunter: two pairs (different models) on which the soles fell apart.  Will not buy another pair of Rockey boots.

Arch

Offline credns

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2024, 05:38:12 AM »
Regarding Rocky boots. Note my post of Jan. 2006 under my name at the time of Tucoblue (Now Credns). I think Rocky is still doing business with Cabelas. I did have a talk with a Cabela's buyer voicing displeasure with Rocky. Of course he said that Cabelas would note my complaint and pass it on to Rocky. Looks like not much has happened. I still badmouth Rocky any chance I get and still have not bought anything from them. I have to assume I have hurt Rocky in some small way. I surely haven't helped them.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2024, 03:29:07 PM »
I thought I had posted about this
years ago, but there must have been
a similar topic elsewhere.

Yes. Long story short- 3 pairs of
Rocky with the crumbling soles.
First pair- BOOM BAM !
Replacement boots in 2-3 days.
Replacement boots lasted 3/4
season before crumbling. Those
were replaced after much complaining
and unhappy letters. 3rd pair were
sent back and nothing happened.
No letters or phone calls answered.
The problem is widely known of
all over the www.

I probably wouldn't have been so
upset if I hadn't been a mile or so
out in the middle of a plowed field
hunting when one pair completely
self destructed and I had to hobble
back to the vehicle basically bare footed.
Bottom line- Rocky sucks and they
don't care
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .