Author Topic: 12 vs. 20  (Read 881 times)

Offline hunter1134

• Trade Count: (0)
12 vs. 20
« on: December 03, 2005, 04:44:10 PM »
I was wondering what your opion for the best deer slug. Most people I know hunt with 12 gauge slugs. But then I know a few people that swear by the 20 gauge slugs. They say there is less recoil, and feel know need to have a 12. I was just wondering what gauge you shoot and the reasons why? THANKS

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
12 vs. 20
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 01:50:57 AM »
I have both. I switch depending on my mood. I have killed deer just as dead with my 20 gauge as I did with my 12. In my opinion, the 20 gauge is not just for women and children. If you don't like recoil, get a 20 gauge and go hunting.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Charlie Tango

• Avid Poster
12 vs. 20
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 11:33:08 AM »
I have hunted with both 12 and 20 in a smooth bore barrel.  I use a 12 now because it has open sights, while my 20 just has a bead on the barrel.  I have not had any problem with either killing the deer at reasonable yardage.

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
12 vs. 20
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 01:21:46 PM »
I'm fortunate enough to live in a rifle hunting area and haven't had any experience hunting with slugs.  Several of my hunting buddies, however hunt in Ohio which is slugs only.

Either will kill a deer DEAD!  A rifled slug from a 20gauge is about .6"  even moving slowly, thats a real big hole.  

If you're using a rifled bbl, I think there are more options to choose from in the 12 gauge and the larger size allows a large projectile, even saboted.  If using only a smoothbore, whatever you've got use it.

As far as recoil goes, the nastiest gun I've ever shot was a 20 ga.  It was one of the little NEF or H&R 'pardner' model shotguns.  I popped off a rifled slug out of the little thing and thought it ripped my arm off.  Very light gun and crappy stock design make it a dream to carry, but a pure bear to shoot.  I preferred my 10 ga to it any day of the week.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
12 vs. 20
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 01:55:53 PM »
As with anything else, shot placement is key regardless of what gun you use. I've dropped deer dead in their tracks at fifty yards with a 44 mag revolver, and had them run for a 1/4 mile with a 12 ga. slug in them. Anybody with any woods time under their belt can tell you, they are amazing animals and can run 'til they are almost completely drained. Whether it's instinct or adrenaline, I don't know.

As for me, I prefer the 12 guage but I'm a pretty big guy and I enjoy shooting something that gives you a good shove. I guess it boils down to which one you are most comfortable and most confident with. If shooting the 12 makes you a little wary, or you're flinching because you know the recoil is coming, then you may want to go with the 20.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
12 vs. 20
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 01:09:06 PM »
Neither!  I grew up in Ohio and hunted with both until I was 18.  I got wich ever my Grandfather didn't want that day.  Check your local laws, is black powder an option for you?  A Ruger 77/50 is the first firearm I ever purchase, so I could get away from the d@*n shotguns!   :) I shot 1.25 inch groups at 100 yards, and I've never seen a smooth bore shotgun do that.  I now own an Omega, and I am comfortable with shots out to 200 yards.  It will drop any deer with AUTHORITY.
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
12 vs. 20
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 02:58:51 PM »
Quote from: WylieKy
Neither!  I grew up in Ohio and hunted with both until I was 18.  I got wich ever my Grandfather didn't want that day.  Check your local laws, is black powder an option for you?  A Ruger 77/50 is the first firearm I ever purchase, so I could get away from the d@*n shotguns!   :) I shot 1.25 inch groups at 100 yards, and I've never seen a smooth bore shotgun do that.  I now own an Omega, and I am comfortable with shots out to 200 yards.  It will drop any deer with AUTHORITY.

Smooth bore shotgun, come on out of the stone age. We shoot rifled barrels these days. Very accurate.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
12 vs. 20
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 04:52:20 AM »
Rifled shotguns! :shock:  Wow!  You know, I even heard about that new, smokeless powder too.  I think it's a rumor. :) I must say that I honestly have never shot a rifled barrel shotgun.  May be nice to not spend an hour of cleaning for every shot.  I can still think of another advantage to BP though.  I many states you have 1 or 2 extra seasons.  When in Ohio, I got 1 week of early BP, 1-2 weeks of gun, then 1 week of late BP.  I got to double my gun hunting time!
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline slayer

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
12 vs. 20
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 02:15:41 PM »
I have a first year camo Mossberg 500 12 gauge and the matching smoothbore camo slug barrel. The sights suck, but out to 50 yards, I can double lung a deer. With 3 inch mag slugs, they hit pretty hard, oh and the deer also :) I actually liie heavy guns and heavy kicking guns, I am a wierdo :-D Jack.

Offline wink_man

• Contributor
12 vs. 20
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 04:17:26 PM »
Quote from: Redhawk1
Quote from: WylieKy

Smooth bore shotgun, come on out of the stone age. We shoot rifled barrels these days. Very accurate.

I guess I'm still in the stone ages, to a point. I have 3 slug guns all 12 gauge, 1 smoothbore, 2 with rifled barrels. Most of the time, I prefer the smoothbore, with foster slugs. The areas I hunt are thick and dense, even the deer I've shot in New York with a rifle, I really had within bow range. The longest shot I ever had at a deer was 75 yards, and an iron sighted slug gun put a foster slug right through his lungs, he sorta ran 15 yards towards me on dead legs. The reason I like a smoothbore, is because here in New Jersey, slugs or buckshot are legal, and at times, my son and I will do a one man push to the other, in heavy mountain laurel. The pusher is better off with buckshot in the gun if he gets a fleeting glimpse of a buck veering off in the wrong direction, and with the smoothbore barrel, one can easily go from slugs to buckshot. My smoothbore is a Remington 870 Wingmaster, on which I drilled and tapped the receiver, and mounted a 1.5X4.5 variable scope on a weaver tip off mount and rings for a Remington 760 rifle(it fit the receiver excellently), so I can swing the scope aside when I'm doing a push with buckshot in the gun. I did this way back in 1980, so I can say from experience it works. No, it won't shoot an inch and a quarter group at 100 yards Wylieky, but it WILL hit a deer in the lungs at that distance every time, if I do my part right(I've shot at enough targets at 100 yards with it to know that).  Prior to the advent of saboted slugs, when Hastings first came out with rifled barrels(intended for foster slugs at that time) they had an advertisement, which stated that they reccomended a scope, because tests proved that a scope will increase accuracy 350%, and what they were really saying, without realizing it, was that if you put a rigidly mounted scope on your smoothbore slug gun, you didn't need one of their rifled barrels, and again, this was before the advent of saboted slugs. Don't get me wrong, I like the rifled barrel slug guns and saboted slugs, they are wonderfully accurate, I like muzzleloaders too, heck, I like ALL guns. I just think a smoothbore slug gun does have it's place and purpose in deer hunting, same as a rifled barrel slug gun or muzzleloader, depending on conditions or season. My daughter shoots a Remington 1100 20 gauge with a smoothbore slug barrel, seems to work just as good as a 12 gauge. I'm sure a 12 has an slight advantage over the 20 gauge at the outside limits of it's intended range, however, it's a moot point to us. Just my personal thoughts and opinions.
Sincerely,
 Garry
Garry
'Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun' - Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
12 vs. 20
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 06:31:49 AM »
I have found the 20 gauge to be slightly more accurate with the fosters and Brenneke slugs out of my smoothbores than the 12 with similar ammo. I can easilt take a deer with either out to 75 yards and they are my rainy day guns.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Gregory

12 vs. 20
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 04:17:24 PM »
wink_man

This is off topic so please excuse me.  
I grew up in NJ (1952-1974) and only buckshot was legal back then for deer (1970-74 were my hunting years with a gun).  I was talking to my brother the other day and he said a 700 lb bear was taken during the recent season in NJ.  Is buckshot legal for bear hunting also?  What are the legal guns allowed for bear?  There was a bear season back when I was a kid, but it was rare for one to be killed.  I wouldn't want to shoot one with  buckshot myself.
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline wink_man

• Contributor
12 vs. 20
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 05:26:17 PM »
Gregory,
     You are correct, buckshot was the only legal hunting implement for deer or bear, till 1975, when NJ legalized shotgun slugs. The last bear season till modern times was in 1970. Buckshot is not allowed for bear, this link will give you the legal weapons:
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2005/dighnt55-69.pdf
My son tells me the largest bear taken was 634 pounds, and 297 bears were taken in the 6 day seaon, this link will give you the breakdown by zone:
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/bearseas05.htm
Things have changed considerably in NJ with regard to bears since 1974. They are a downright nuisance in north Jersey, and a dangerous one at that, and, there are way to many of them. Despite 297 bears being taken, more need to be taken. The animal rights activists did manage to get the season blocked one year, but they aren't succeding anymore. Six were arrested at the Waywaynda check station on the last day of the season, and more were arrested during the week, for harrassing hunters in the woods. I lived in Vernon, till I moved to the central Jersey shore a year ago, and you couldn't even keep a bird feeder out up there, the bears would come up on the deck at night(double tier deck with 2 flights of stairs) and destroy the feeders on the second tier of the deck. Early September, 8 o'clock in the evening, my son just walks in the house from the deck(doing homework out there), not 3 minutes after he walks in, a bear comes up on the deck. Another time, son opens the garage door to get the lawnmower out to cut the lawn, walks upstairs for a drink, comes back down, and 2 bears are in the garage, with the garbage can turned over already. And these are only 2 of many occurrences. Bear hunting in NJ is a bit of a hassle, as they require you to take an additional hunter safety course to hunt bear, therefore doesn't interst me, but the point is, they do need to be taken. Hope this answers your question.
Sincerely,
 Garry
Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.

Offline Qtip

• Avid Poster
12 vs. 20
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 11:24:21 AM »
wink-man,

Glad to see you again! My brother Bob is sick of the bear problem too in W. Milford. They have to keep air horns around to warn other people in the neighborhood of roaming bears and keep a constant watch at barbecues. If a little kid ever gets killed I wonder if animal rights people would send flowers. He recently had an additional 150' cleared out behind the house just so he can see the bears sooner. Maybe PETA would like to pay for that.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

Offline wink_man

• Contributor
12 vs. 20
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 11:44:10 AM »
Qtip,
     Good to see you to, hope all is well up there with you & your wife. How did you make out deer hunting? Give me a call when you get a chance, I'd call you, but don't want to wake you up, I know you're working crazy hours. Good to see you, hope to hear from you soon.
Sincerely,
 Garry
Garry