Author Topic: DEER SLED????????  (Read 532 times)

Offline DECKAPE

• Trade Count: (1)
DEER SLED????????
« on: December 16, 2005, 03:52:54 AM »
as im getting older i look for easier ways th do stuff......last year i shot a deer and had a heck of a time getting it out of the swamp........when i was at the sport shop i saw a ice fishing sled.........thought maybe this would work for getting out a deer..........bought it ....called .the otter II....used it this year and it worked GREAT....slides over the top of everything......cost was about ......$44,00...these are made to pull behind a atv.....made a handle out of a 10 ft piece of 1/2" electric conduet.......and 2 pcs. of chain 8" long......(this way the sled is not lifted off the ground in the front)....

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
DEER SLED????????
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 04:39:05 AM »
The best deer hunting tool / skill I've developed is learning to filet on the spot of Kill. I take everything including heart and liver. Never, even for the biggest bucks more than 60 lbs....................... Sure my 6'5" 205lbs affords me the torque to get them in the tree easy, but anyone can do this, even halfway off the ground. In a backpack a deer is easier to deal with than on a sled, or one of those rickshaws. Oh, the real key is to stay in shape! The human body changes very little year to year, from age 25 to 75 for those who take care of themselves. Last year I shot a nice buck
less than 400 meters from my car. I still fileted. It was still easier.
I love hunting like I was 18, but hopefully with a little more experience.
Seems to me I have seen videos on this skill....

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
DEER SLED????????
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 08:34:31 AM »
The best thing I found is the haul carts with wheels. It is also good for hauling in and out your climber stand and back pack.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline DaveP

• Trade Count: (0)
DEER SLED????????
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 12:01:06 PM »
I bought a cheap plastic sled from Cabelas in '99 before a moose hunt(Under $20).Worked like a charm.All 5 or 6 trips! Have used it for LOTS of deer since,sometimes 2 at a time.

Offline Charlie Tango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
DEER SLED????????
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 01:56:43 AM »
my dad and i use a couple of home made carts. one is made from conduit and bicycle tires and the other is made from two hand carts and bike tires.  the boys in the camp next to us used to bring an old horse to drag the deer out with that worked pretty good too.