Author Topic: recoil reducer question  (Read 425 times)

Offline mainegobbler

• Trade Count: (0)
recoil reducer question
« on: December 18, 2005, 05:03:17 PM »
Ive heard of a lot of people adding weight to the stocks of their pardners to lower recoil.  How does this effect the shouldering/shooting/carrying characteristics of the gun?  seems to me an extra pound or so in the stock would make this gun very stock heavy, which I guess wouldnt really be a problem, but Im curious what others think about this, and whether or not they feel its worth it?

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
recoil reducers
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 02:51:51 AM »
I did this for my son's 12 Ga. when he was younger. I poured some #6 shot in the hole in the rear of the stock where the bolt goes that fastens the stock to the receiver. I doubt there was anywhere near a pound of shot in there. Maybe half of that at the most, but I could be wrong. A little weight goes a long way in reducing recoil. As a few years went by I was thinking about taking a router and making a small trough in the forearm to place some shot in to help even out the balance some. When I asked my son if he wanted me to do that he said no, but I think I'm ready  to try taking the weight out of the butt.
  We took the weight out and added a slip on recoil pad and he's been shooting it that way ever since.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff