Author Topic: What Barrel Length on a Pardner 12 guage??  (Read 634 times)

Offline Mulegunner

• Trade Count: (0)
What Barrel Length on a Pardner 12 guage??
« on: December 10, 2005, 01:31:08 PM »
Im looking at the Pardner shotgun in a 12 gauge for hunting and possibly a truck gun on occassion.  Im pretty sure that I want it full choke (for small game and turkey hunting too),  but looking in the catalog I see that there are 3 different barrel lengths.  The standard Pardner comes in both a 32" and  28" barrels.  The Pardner Turkey 12 gauge has a 24" barrel.  Ive never really paid all that much attention to shotgun barrel length until now.  My question is:

Is there any significant adavantage to one barrel length over another for hunting small game and turkey?  I was alway under the impression that choke determined range and pattern for effective performance.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 01:56:32 PM »
You are correct about the choke.  If you want the Ultimate, go with the TDC 12ga.  It comes with a Mod. choke tube and you can pick up an ExtraFull for turkey or an Improved if you want to shoot slugs.  One gun and lots of hunting options.  Just my 2 cents.  However, it might be a little longer than you want for a "truck gun", as the barrel is 28in.  Also, may be a mite spendy for something your gonna just "Throw in the truck".  A Youth Pardner in 20ga comes with a 22in barrel, so its quite compact and at less than $100...New, you won't mind a few dings and scratches.  If you just gotta have a 12ga then send it off for the Youth 12ga barrel from the factory.  That's a Mod choke barrel and chambered 3".  It will take anything you want to put through it.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 02:38:27 PM »
A shorter barrel is handy for carrying through the woods,makes for a lighter gun, and fits in a gun rack in the back window of a small truck. If you are looking for a truck/knocking around /turkey gun a 24"barreled gun would be great. I personally like a longer barrel for shooting moving target like running small game or birds. My truck gun is a 12ga nickle survivor with a regular synthetic stock and a 22" barrel. For small game I'd take my old topper deluxe 20ga with a 28"barrel or the 12ga TDC barrel that I have'nt had a chance to use yet. If I've been a good enough boy this year I'll get a sb2-MAD 10ga turkey gun. Pick any barrel you want. You'll be adding more barrels or guns to your collection soon.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 02:38:47 PM »
OK, here is my 2 cents worth of opinion, get the 24" 12 gauge barrel with choke tubes. With it you can hunt and shoot anything your heart desires and it makes a dandy "truck gun" at that length. Depending on the season or game you can adjust the choke to suit your desires. I have one and it's GREAT!!!!. If you don't like the barrel I'll buy it from you!!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 12:27:58 PM »
Man you guys on here are great, you all covered it all.  like said above get the 24 in barrell with the choke tubes.  I brought a 12 ga 28 in mod baerrel and had a poly choke II installed on it.  Well the choke install cost more then the gun did.  But it shoots great.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)