Author Topic: First trip to range with 20 gauge USH Deluxe  (Read 920 times)

Offline TNhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
First trip to range with 20 gauge USH Deluxe
« on: December 16, 2005, 01:29:05 PM »
As you know from my recent posts I just got my Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe.  I finally got to go to the range with it today.  I had 4 boxes of shells - 2 boxes of Federal 3" Premium Vital-Shok Barnes Expander (1900fps, 5/8 oz) , 1 box of Remington 2-3/4" Premier Core-Lokt Ultra (1900 fps, 260 grain) and 1 box of Winchester 2-3/4" BRI Sabot Slugs (1400 fps, 5/8 oz).  My game plan was to shoot the Winchester loads from 25 yards to do the initial setting of my scope.  Then move out to 50 and shoot the Federal and Remington loads and do some final tweaking of my scope.  Then shoot 100 yards with the Federal and Remington loads.

My first 2 shots out of the gate (Winchester loads mentioned above) were 1-3/4" right and 3-1/2" low and 3/4" right and 3-3/4" low.  I adjusted my scope up 4" and to the left 1-1/5".  Next 3 shots hit the bullseye as can be seen by the image below.

I then moved my target out to 50 and took 2 shots with the Federal loads and 2 shots with the Remington.  The 2nd and 3rd shots from the top on the following target were the Federal loads, and the bottom 2 were the Remington loads.  The top most shot was a final verification shot from 50 yards I took using the Federal loads after shooting from 100 and making a slight tweak to my scope to move the point of impact up a little at 50 yards.

The following shots were from 100 with the Federal loads.  I believe I flinched slightly on the leftmost shot.  (BTW - the Remington shots from 100 were spread out a little more - 3.5" left/.5" high,  .25" right/4.75" low, and 4" right/1" high)

How do these shot groups look to the experts?  The 25 and 50 look pretty decent.  The 100 could probably improve with a different load and maybe putting the rubber o-ring under the forearm.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
First trip to range with 20 gauge USH Delux
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 04:56:59 PM »
You might not win the postal match, but they are well within the "one minute of deer" range.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 05:21:42 PM »
No expert here...just a question:

Did you adjust your scope up or down after 50 yds.?

According to Federal's balistics, 3/4" high at 50 should zero at 100.
You look like you were right there at 50.
Shouldn't be 2" low at 100.
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline TNhunter

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 06:06:11 PM »
I made no adjustments of the scope between the 50 yard shots and the 100 yard shots.  The only adjust I made was after the round at 100 - I adjusted slightly up (1.5").  This definitely doesn't match the ballistics on that round.

Offline Paul Mohr

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 07:27:59 AM »
Try using some slower rounds. My 12ga. ultra doesn't like the faster rounds at all. It might tighten your groups up some.

I tried the federals in mine and couldn't even keep them on paper at 100 yards. So yours is better than mine. The 20's have a faster twist in them though, that may help.

I have no doubt with more work you can find something more accurate than that, providing you shoot that well to begin with.

Everything I have tried out of mine shoots really well at 50-75 yards, but some just don't cut it at 100 yards. It seems to be a bit finnicky at that range.

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 08:56:34 AM »
Once you find a round you like stick with it and do the 25,50 and 100 yards shots and see how you do.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline TNhunter

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 03:20:47 PM »
BTW - those Federal Barnes Expanders are the 3/4 oz and not the 5/8 - they still seemed to drop a little more between 50 and 100 than the ballistics chart for them says.  I'm going to look for some 5/8 loads as well as a couple of different rounds to try.