Author Topic: Model 70 Featherweight Stainless  (Read 664 times)

Offline Big Tom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Model 70 Featherweight Stainless
« on: December 17, 2005, 11:29:59 AM »
I have wanted to add a deer rifle to my arsenal for the mixed hardwoods that I hunt in Michiigan's Upper Peninsula. Something fairly light to carry, accurate and effective....

I settled on a Model 70 Featherweight Stainless in 7mm 08.

I will get it in about two weeks. Thinking about a compact scope but I need something with about 4" of eye relief....kinda looking at the new Burris Short Mag scopes.

Any suggestions? :grin:
Tom Gursky
Northwoods Guide Service
"May all your trophies be worthy of The Book"

Offline gunpilot

• Avid Poster
model 70 scope
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 06:32:28 AM »
I just got a model 70 stainless in 6.5 x 55 swedish. I mounted a Leupold 3x-9x compact silver scope  all the way to the rear with low mounts. Very light weight and up to 4.0 inches eye relief at lowest power. I personally would prefer medium height mounts, and if I had the money, I would get a Leupold VX II 2x-7x --only slightly heavier but with up to 4.9 inches eye relief. I could custom order it in a silver finish for about $125 extra. I dont know much about the burris scopes.

Offline Muskie Hunter

• Avid Poster
Model 70 Featherweight Stainless
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 10:01:05 PM »
I have a 2x7 Leupold on my 30-06 featherweight Winni and it has about the best eye relief of any scope out here.I'm thinking about puting it on my 45-70 guide gun and taking the 1.5x5 leupold off and putting that on the 06.My 45-70 is an eye opener with the heavy loads.I put a $650 burris scope on my 22-250 a few years back and since then I have tried bushnells and tasco's on other's varmit rifles.There's were brighter and clearer.I always felt that I made a bad chioce with a burris but then again,my experiense has only been with my 6x24 power scope.The burris that you are thinking of may well be the cat's mewo.Good luck with your rig.
Vietnam, 66-67, 173 rd. Airborne Brigade, point man, tunnel rat
Vietnam 68, 82 nd. Airborne Div. , sniper.
NRA Member