Author Topic: Ruger p95 opinions, anyone use own?  (Read 946 times)

Offline Sharps-Nut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Ruger p95 opinions, anyone use own?
« on: October 28, 2005, 07:42:47 AM »
I have a little interest in a Ruger p95.  I have looked and even shot a friends.  How well is ruger getting along with the platic gun technology?  Anyone have any experience with this model.  I like the price weight and feel, not wild about the 9mm part.  Looking for home defense automobile  carry, yes leagal in my state.  The price looks attractive and 9mm is cheap practice, plus goos service from ruger products in the past all make the gun look attractive to me. Any  thoughts?

Offline greenjeans

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 11:00:58 AM »
I have had one since they first came out. Mine is the stainless decock version. I have shot everything from Wolf steel case, CCI aluminum, and just about everything else. Have never had a failure with it. Not pretty by some people's standards, but totally reliable and plenty accurate for my purpose. I don't ask for 2" groups at 25 yards and if I had pistol that was capable, I couldn't hold it that well. I highly recommend them.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Steelbanger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 12:03:05 PM »
I too have the decock model for a long time and it has never failed to feed, fire, and eject. It would be one of the last of my guns to go.
And that's my opinion on the Ruger P95.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, NRA Life

Marlin - a hard habit to break.

Offline gino

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 07:56:28 AM »
I bought a 95DC in '97, I like it. Feeds ANYTHING, reasonably accurate, no malfunctions at all. JMHO
gino  :D

Offline Sharps-Nut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Thanks for the replies
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 07:21:50 AM »
I appreciate the replies, the quickets way to rate stuff is owner satisfaction.   Sounds like everyone likes the 95 very well.  I  Got to play with one a little more this weekend and it did seem a little loose in the groups.  10" steel plates at 75 feet took careful shot placement but were doable if the shooter did his part but the gruops at that range were very open, more than shooter eneogh for self defense.   Thanks for all the input this will cause me to start looking for good buy.  Sharps-Nut

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 05:50:51 AM »
Paid $269 for one back in 98. Bought it for my wife. It saw service as an IDPA loaner for years. All types of shooters and all types of ammo. Never malfunctioned. Reasonably accurate in spite of the trigger. This one has been well worth the money. I would reccomend this pistol to anyone needing an inexpensive, reliable 9mm.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Holman

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 02:03:02 PM »
I bought the P95DC around 1997 right before I got my conceal carry license. It is my CCW and fires everything and anything I have put through it. It has never jammed or let me down. Its rugged tough and keeps on doing what I ask of it.   :-)
In my opinion, anyone pushing through anti-gun legislation is a bloody traitor and should be sent up for treason.

Holman    8)

Offline Zeke Menuar

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 05:48:07 PM »
I bought a P95 in 1997.  After six months, it turned into a keyholing piece of junk.  Ruger refused to fix it.  Ruger had the gun for over a year AFTER I sent it to them before they declined to repair the gun. I sold it at a loss.  I refuse to purchase another Ruger product.

It was clunky with a long, heavy trigger.  I should have bought a Hi-Power or (egad!) a Glock 19.  

Went to 1911's and never looked back.

This is my opinion.  Your opinion may vary.

ZM
Official Guardian of the Arsenal of Paranoia

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 01:22:21 AM »
Zeke,
Just curious, you don't suppose your barrel was heavily leaded do you? Or possibly the or ammo was out of spec. That's about all that could cause a sudden case of the keyholes------------- :-) OR, I guess severe damage to the barrel crown-----------.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline kimber45fan

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 03:37:02 PM »
Hello
I am a CCW instructor and I have several guns for people to qualify with. I have a Ruger p95 decocker blue on black, it has always performed flawlessly, could have sold more than a few times to people in the class.BTW I have a p94 40 s&w Ruger, and an early p85..all are good reliable accurate guns, outstanding values for what I paid for them.

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 04:48:31 PM »
my p95 was as reliable as a rock. never failed, and was the most accurate 9mm i have shot.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.