Author Topic: Small-Bore First Purchase?  (Read 180 times)

Offline Grizzly_A

• Trade Count: (0)
Small-Bore First Purchase?
« on: January 01, 2006, 03:21:08 PM »
I’m looking to buy my first single-shot. I wanted to try a new caliber and was dead set on a new NEF in .204 (22" Bull) after holding one at the local sporting goods store. I'm a little more cautious though with some of the posts on the mixed results in performance from their NEFs (on a whole).  Are the QC problems so bad that if the store has 3 in stock, I should look at all 3 new-in-box rifles, disassemble them, shake them, check for wiggle/gaps and decide that way?  It sounds like I’m buying a used car. :wink:  
I would like to make sure I get one of the 90% that shoot well! Any additional tips on preventative measures to increase the chances I get a good one?

I’m certainly not against the NEF by any means, but I’d rather have a positive first experience than a bad one. I want my money to go toward a purchase that is going to be a “good” (on par with Rem/Ruger/Savage) shooter out of the box so I can have fun concentrating on perfecting the load, not trying to get the gun to shoot straight.  I was drawn to the TC/NEF style because of the ease to change barrels.  

So…how has the performance of NEW small caliber Handi’s (.22H, .223, .204, .243) been for you?  Problems? (I know ya’ll don’t care for the ultra-light .243) Praises? (anyone seen a .220 Swift Handi?)
Is the Handi any better/worse than the dedicated rifles from Spartan (now Rem formerly Braztech) or Rossi? The prices are about the same. What about the quality?

Is it true that a single dry-fire of the NEF will ruin accuracy?  
Is this a feature of all single-shot rifles?  
What’s the difference between the hr1871 Ultra and the NEF Handi? (aside from the obvious stock/barrel design) If they are stamped different, are they still made on the same machines (same QC problems?) The models are all similar, so is there a difference between them that leads to better or worse accuracy?
Too many Questions?  Did I forget one?  :wink:

Thanks for all the information and opinions on this site already!  I'm so glad that I stumbled across GBO!
And a special thanks to whoever fixed the site!  Whew!

Griz