Author Topic: Shooting the Christmas micro-mortar  (Read 512 times)

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
Shooting the Christmas micro-mortar
« on: December 31, 2005, 01:24:44 PM »
First of all, thanks again to Kap!

Here are some shots of the little mortar in action.

Projectile is a standard paintball, no patch.

The powder charge in the first photo is a chamber level full of FFFg, roughly three grains. In the other photos, the mortar was loaded using the .3cc dipper from my Lee kit, approximately 4 grains of FFFg. This charge slightly overfills the chamber, but not by much. This was done mainly for convenience, since I don't yet have a measure that throws the exact volume of the chamber.

I've found that the .3cc charge gives a little more smoke/fire but about the same downrange effect as the level full chamber, while any more powder gives very erratic results. I believe that this is becuase the soft paintball will give enough to fully seat over a slight hump in the powder charge. I need to make the correct measure.

I also tried FFFFg powder and was not impressed. The FFFFg gave very poor report and only threw the paintball about half as far as an equal amount of FFFg.

I was using the premium 1/16" fuse, which is a little fatter than the cheap stuff, and it's a VERY tight fit in the vent. The vent must be cleaned thoroughly after each shot. Not a big issue, and I definitely do NOT want to drill the vent larger.

The paintballs will only break if they hit a certain way on hard pavement. The best shot I could confirm point-of-impact was 45 paces with the .3cc charge. Most of the shots were just for fun and lobbed onto the roof of the empty duplex next door. :D

It's not easy to see, but there is a small block of wood sitting behind the barrel. This was to keep the sparks from the fuse off the base. I plan to mount a brass plate to the base in the future.

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 07:46:30 AM »
I've edited the post to change the photo links from HTML to BBCode. I prefer HTML because of the way the board treated BBCode links, further shrinking images that I had already resized to the posted recommendations.

For some reason now I can't see the HTML photos unless I'm logged in.

If anyone has a problem seeing the photos in any of my posts, let me know and I will go back and edit out the HTML.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 08:04:47 AM »
For some reason now I can't see the HTML photos unless I'm logged in.

I noticed the same thing last night.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill