Author Topic: Scope question  (Read 620 times)

Offline MI.sabot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Scope question
« on: January 03, 2006, 01:37:39 PM »
This may sound like a silly question but:

Once I've zeroed in my scope....would someone of similar height and stature.....but not necessarily the same vision....theoretically be able to shoot my gun with the same accuracy?

I'm assuming the scope may need to be re-focused for the 2nd shooter, but would there be any need to adjust the windage or elevation?  I'm thinking that once zeroed, the reticle (crosshairs) would almost force the secondary shooter into nearly the same alignment as the primary shooter to get a clear and full field of view through the scope.

I am asking this because I'm thinking of letting my son use my scoped S/G but don't have the time or $$$ at $2.50 a round to keep going back and forth to the range.

Am I off track on this one?
Once it's zeroed, is it essentially zeroed for one and for all?
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Scope question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 04:02:57 PM »
My buddy and I go back and forth shooting each others rifles and have no problem.  You are correct.   I would think the only difference in impact would come from differences in how the rifle is held, trigger pulled etc...

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
Scope question
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 05:13:21 PM »
I wear prescription glasses, my son-in-law wears contact lenses with safety glasses when we shoot.  When we both shoot the same scoped rifle, very consistently he will group about 2-3" at 2 o'clock from center of my group at 100 yards, or I will group about that distance at 8 o'clock from his.  This has been very consistent with several rifles.  Of course each of our own rifles is zeroed to our own centers, but it tells me that either there us some visual distortion due to corrective lenses, and/or some issues with the differences in eye relief, and perhaps other physical factors between the two of us.  Before experiencing this, I never gave it much thought and assumed that shot placement would be (visually) pretty much consistent with the same rifle, no matter who shot it.  Seeing this consistently happen with with my son-in-law indicates to me that this is not always the case.  Perhaps our differences are unusual - I haven't tried this with other people, so I don't know how exceptional this 2-3" difference is. I think everyone shoots everything just a little different than the next guy, but probably not as much of a difference as my son-in-law and I.  I bet a couple shots would confirm that for you. Good shootin'.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Catfish

Scope question
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 01:20:12 AM »
It really depends on your eyes and not your build. When I was younger I had a friend that I could shoot any of his rifles to the exact point of aim as he and vise versa. Now, as old men, we could deer hunt with the other guys rifle but but we no longer shot the other guys rifle to the exact point of aim. Let you boy shot acouple and see where he puts them. My guess is that he will be able to use your gun without resighting.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Scope question
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 01:31:13 AM »
It is always wise to let the other person shot it to see where it is hitting for them. I mount optics on peoples scopes and sight there guns in for them all the time. I always have them check the guns accuracy and point of impact, and make any fine adjustments if needed.  : D  JMHO
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
Scope question
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 10:53:13 AM »
I agree, a couple of slugs are a good investment to make sure your son will have the same (or close to) POI as you do with the same ammunition. Everyone should make sure that what they are shooting works for them before they go hunting.  I would guess that he would - I think the differences between myself and my son-in-law are on the further end of the spectrum.  It isn't entirely vision related though, as physical factors do influence hold, cheek weld, distance and alignment from eye to lense, trigger pull, etc. and all of these factors do impact  accuracy to some degree. :D
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
Scope question
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 12:19:46 PM »
Different shooters are more opt to cheek the rifle slightly different, which may put the eye position optically off from the previous shooter. So if there is any parallax evident, this indeed will have an effect on different groups per shooter..

Also, each shooter has his or her own style of shooting. The shot follow through is very important and will have an impact on groups. If each shooter has a different shooting style and follow through, it can and will cause groups to be in slightly different areas of a target. Remember, things happen before the bullet leaves the bore and its that split second that can determine where you point of imapct will be.

MO