Author Topic: screw-in choke 24" barrel  (Read 600 times)

Offline Jack Pine Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
screw-in choke 24" barrel
« on: March 11, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
Lotus, back in October you posted info on your 12ga. Pardner with a 24" barrel with screw-in chokes and mentioned the fine groups your gun was shooting. Is your gun a Pardner Turkey Gun? I was wondering because I want to get a 24" shotgun barrel that will shoot slugs well (As the planned Tracker 1 barrels are no longer available). You seemed to have impressive results with an Imp Cyl choke shooting slugs. The screw-in choke option would give me a more versatile gun without having to buy other barrels. New choke tubes must be cheaper than buying different barrels! Do you use H&R chokes or a different brand?

Thanks for you help.

JPS

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: screw-in choke 24" barrel
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 01:26:34 PM »
JPS, I have the same setup and usually use the modified choke tube that came with the barrel from the factory. I shoot 12 gauge 2 3/4" Brenneke slugs and get excellent groups with them out of the modified choke....<><.... ;D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Jack Pine Savage

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 03:45:29 PM »
MSP, so you have a Pardner Turkey Gun with a 24" barrel with a screw-in choke? Sounds like a nice way to go. I could order the 24" Turkey Gun barrel with screw-in chokes and have a versatile set up for less $$$ than buying different barrels. I have read a couple of comments on this forum that some folks like to use chokes made by other manufacturers. Do you feel there is a benefit to using chokes made by other companies or is this mostly noticed when shooting shot, not slugs?

JPS

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 05:16:51 PM »
JPS, I would much prefer custom choke tubes when shooting shot from the gun, I personally think the standard H&R choke tubes are junk. They do seem to work OK for slugs but I usually get better tubes for shot. The 24" smoothbore 12 gauge barrel with choke tubes is a real do-it-all barrel eclipsed perhaps only by the 12 gauge TDC barrel with a vent rib and screw in chokes. I do suggest aftermarket choke tubes for all purposes other than slugs, and even they may benefit by aftermarket tubes. I also suggest you polish the bore using 4/0 steel wool and a wooden dowel on an electric drill, it helps tremendously with POI and velocity is also supposed to be increaased as well as reduced barrel leading....<><.... :)

P.S. -  my 24" 12 guage Turkey barrel has been D&T'd, a scope rail and a scope added for slug use for deer hunting. It would also work great with the proper choke and shot for Turkeys and coyotes. I have shot it with both a Red Dot and a scope and it works great!!!....<><.... ;D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Jack Pine Savage

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »
Thanks for the info, MSP. I appreciate the help.