Author Topic: nikon for 375 H&H  (Read 624 times)

Offline 45north

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
nikon for 375 H&H
« on: December 27, 2005, 08:48:18 AM »
I am sure nikon can handle the recoil of the 375 H&H. My question is could I use the 1.5 x 4.5 x 20  monarch scope that nikon makes,I know that the scope is parallex adjusted for 75 yards. If I use it past 100 or 200 yards will the scope lose accuracy or the cross hairs become fuzzy. Or should I just get a leupold 1.5 x 5 x 20 VXIII and be happy with that. I have a 2x7x32 nikon monarch but it sits on my 270 win.
  If you have comments please voice them.  Thanks
  45north

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
nikon for 375 H&H
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 01:47:38 AM »
Given the choice, I would and did get the Leupold 1.5 x 5 x 20 VXIII. I am very happy with mine.  It is on my CZ 550 in 416 Rigby.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
nikon for 375 H&H
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 02:00:34 AM »
45 North,

Just out of couriosity, how do you know that the Nikon Monarch can withstand .375 recoil levels?  Don't get me wrong, I own SEVERAL Nikon Monarchs, and they have performed flawlessly for me on a variety of cartridges, but I have never mounted one on a .375, so I was just curious about that.  Have you ever mounted a monarch on a .375?  If yes, for how long?  How many shots?

On my .375 I have an Elite 3200 1.5x-4.5x-32mm.  I'm not sure what the parallax setting is, but I have not had any problems with shots between 50 yards through 100 yards.  I haven't taken any shots past 100 yards, so I don't know.

Do you know what the parallax setting is on the Leupold?

Here's a simple thought.  Why don't you take the Monarch you are talking about, hold it up, and look through it at various distances before you mount it.  As such, you can probably answer your question  better than any of us.  Am I perhaps oversimplifying things a bit?

Zachary

Offline akpls

• Contributor
nikon for 375 H&H
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 09:15:56 AM »
I believe the Nikon 1.5-4.5 is advertised as a shotgun slug scope so it should handle recoil without a problem.  I have one I use on a .450 Marlin and it does just fine.  You are correct, it is parallax adjusted for 75 yards.  I think most centerfire rifle scopes are set for 100 yards (?).  Optically, it appears better to me than my VariX Leupold's.  I don't have any of the newer VX's to compare it to.

Offline 45north

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
nikon for 375 H&H
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 09:01:09 PM »
you are correct zachary, I have never mounted my 2x7 nikon scope on anything bigger than a 300 win. mag. but as akpls said the scope I am interested in is advertised as a shotgun scope. I don't think the recoil will be an issue.
  I do not own a 1.5x 4.5 nikon scope so I will not be able to test if it will work for me or not. I was even thinking of ordering one from Jon but he does not carry them.
  I have read in other posts that you use a bushnell 3200 1.5x 4.5 on your 375, but it only comes with the firefly cross hairs and I do not care for those, they are just to thick. I already have a 4200 1.5x6 with the firefly reticle. That scope is on my 338 win.  There is a fixed four power leupold on my 375 right now and it does work fine, but the grass is always greener on the other side. Maybe something else will work better.

Thanks for the reply's

45north

Offline Zachary

nikon for 375 H&H
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 02:00:23 AM »
I am not certain if the Elite 3200s 1.5x-4.5x only comes with the Firefly reticle, but mine does and I completely agree with you - it is too dang thick.  I know that some people like the German reticle (you know the particular one that is very thick as well), but I personally can't stand thick reticles.  Kinda blocks more of what you are trying to look at.

Zachary