Author Topic: Super Redhawk trigger work  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Varmint Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Super Redhawk trigger work
« on: March 09, 2003, 02:09:37 AM »
Trigger is rather bad on my new Super Redhawk. I will do most of my shooting single action. Much less concerned about the double action pull. Can the trigger assembly be sent to a smith who can clean this trigger up? Who might that be?
VH

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
Change spring, it will help
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2003, 02:47:07 AM »
You can change the trigger spring and reduce pull considerably.  I put a wolff spring kit into my super redhawk and reduced trigger pull to a decent level.  I still have a little creep but not all that bad.

The spring kit cost is $10-11 and is easy to install.  

Try midway.com or this url for a look at kit:

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/351363

Good luck
Fred :D
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2003, 12:21:16 PM »
Varmint Hunter,

I have redone several Super Redhawk trigger/hammer springs with Wolff Springs. Also a Ruger Security-Six...They make the handgun almost completly different and new!!!  Order them directly from the manufacturer.

http://www.gunsprings.com/

Good-luck...BCB

Offline Varmint Hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2003, 12:40:26 PM »
I'll order the springs but that still leaves the creeeeeep. :?
VH

Offline RON KONTOWSKY

• HTTP://WWW.DEANSGUNSHOP.COM
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2003, 01:47:09 AM »
VH,
     You are right about leaveing the creep, the revolver must be shipped to have this work done.  The S.A. mode can be tuned to crisp 2.5 to 3lbs,
while the D.A. mode can be smoothed out to 9 to 10lbs.
Making it to a finely tuned machine.

RON KONTOWSKY
DEANS GUNSHOP II
GUNSMITHING DIV.
YOU`RE ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR LAST JOB!
MAKING THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE ONE GUN AT A TIME.
DEANS GUNSHOP 2
586-716-3460
www.deansgunshop.com

Offline HappyHunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2003, 08:04:22 AM »
Nice commercial.
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline globemountain

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2003, 09:03:20 AM »
I put a Wolf hammer spring in my SRH and my RH it made for a great feeling triggers.  I put the 9 pound spring in my SRH first and later switched it for the 10 pound spring after a couple of misfires.  When you do go to a lighter spring you have to make sure your primers are FIRMLY SEATED.

I wasn't sure how to install the trigger latch spring...can anbody help??
\"Life is tough, but it''s tougher if you''re stupid\"
John Wayne :D

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2003, 11:02:33 AM »
globemountain,

I agree with you on the 10 pound spring.  I also had the same problem with the lighter springs.  They would fire probably 95% of the time, but there was always that inconsistency.

I changed the trigger spring, but I really don't remember how I did it!  I am certainly not a gunsmith and I don't have any special tools, yet I got the job done.  I think just look at it closely and make your moves very deliberately!  I may have clamped the trigger assembly in a rubber-faced vice to allow for a steady, sure hold as I was doing the work.  If I remember correctly, the small springs can go flying so be careful.  Maybe place a cloth over your hands so if the spring/holders go flying, they will hit the cloth and not go far...Very, very small...  Must not have been too difficult as I am mostly all thumbs unless 1" drive sockets and tools of that size are being used!!!  Good-luck...BCB

Offline HappyHunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2003, 01:46:46 PM »
Like BCB I do not remember how I changed my spring.  I will look at my srh this evening and get back to you on procedure.  It was not difficult, just looked it over and did it.  If I can do it so can you.

Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline Bullseye

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2003, 04:18:40 PM »
Just follow the takedown instructions in the manual, it will take you step by step where you need to go.  The last step is the only one it will not tell you and that is how to get the trigger spring out.  Look at the diagram and you will see the spring, if I rememeber right you just push a pin to release the mechanism.  If you want to change the mainspring, put one end in a vise between two pieces of wood, loosly pust vise grips on the stamped metal piece and push down and remove the disassembly pin.  There is not much pressure on the spring.

Offline HappyHunter

• A Real Regular
globemountain
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2003, 05:24:11 PM »
With the trigger assemly out you will see a very small pin directly above the plunger.  

While holding the plunger in with one hand (unloading the spring) press out the pin with a very small drift punch...a small allen wrench or drill bit will do the trick.  This will allow the plunger to come out and expose the spring in question.

I did change the main spring a few times to find a spring that would not give me misfires.  The heaviest spring supplied with the wolff kit is what I ended up with.  If you do not use this spring I would start in middle first and then change as needed.

I ended up with a considerably differnet  trigger (better).

Hope this helps

Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.