Author Topic: Good Questions!  (Read 546 times)

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
Good Questions!
« on: January 06, 2006, 01:00:11 AM »
My 20 gauge TDC hammer/trigger doesn’t work, like it’s jammed up, froze up! Neither of them will move. The gun is not a year old and has not had 50 rounds fired through it. Last night I shot 25 rounds of skeet and then went to the trap range. It made it to number 17 round and was cocking the hammer for 18 and the hammer would not cock. I was hitting the birds pretty good too! I went to the website and I will pack it up tomorrow for shipping back to the company for repairs. The wife said I could have it fitted with a 20 gauge Tracker II barrel. I will have to employ the Old Tracker I 20 ga. for the rest of the hunting season. Well it was a Tracker I until I took the sights off of it and added a big gold bead. The guys use to fun me, until one day I harvested 5 rabbits with 5 shells. That ended the funning of me and my single shot. I had it fitted with the 26” mod. barrel and it will do a number on the squirrels and doves. I still like the TDC and it’s a very good-looking weapon. Stuff happens and I’m sure H&R will repair it. This brings up a couple of question.

1.   What is the life span of these guns? Say a guy shoots 50 round of skeet a week, 200 rounds on dove and maybe 50 rounds on small game. 3,000 rounds a year.
2.   How long before it needs to go for repair or maintain? (Spring weaken and parts wear)
3.   I have read on post that they will not hold up under a lot of rounds or a lot of heavy rounds, which I do not know what is meant by “A lot of Rounds”
4.   I take above average care of my weapons. Is there any special thing I can do to prolong the live of the TDC? I do enjoy it, it’s a good gun for the money.
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Good Questions!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 02:19:54 AM »
hello froghunter -

i would call the factory and make them really aware of your return. my experience is that they have always been quick to turn around warrantee repairs.

i've had 2 handi's fail from fatigue. the first was an SB2 frame that has a bunch of barrels. the firing broke after approximately mixed 2,000 rounds. it broke while shooting the 410 barrel. the factory repaired it for free.

the second was a 357 mag handi that had a similar failure at about 2,500 very mild cast bullet semiwadcutter rounds, the spring for the firing pin failed and "No Body" or "I Didn't Do It" closed the receiver with the firing pin sticking out. the pin bent then broke when the shell casing hit it. but once again it was a free repair. this gun is the visitors plicking gun at the camp that gets a lot of use and was less than a year old when. it was fixed in june or 2005 and has had another 15 pound box of star 148 grain wadcutter hand loads pumped through it since with no failures.

all guns break, some after 500 rounds some after 50,000 rounds. springs, firing pins, trigger sets, barrel selectors, etc. break not every day, not a big deal at all. if you really depend on your handi, for trap league or for lunch, i would simply get a backup and leave it in the closet for that day when that little pin or spring breaks again. (excuse #1,962 to get another handi !)

hope this helps !

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Good Questions!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 11:02:42 AM »
Froghunter,

That must have ticked you off, having to withdraw because the gun broke. Knock on wood, I haven't had anything go wrong with any of my 6 H&R/NEF guns and they all shoot great. Hope I didn't just jinx myself by making that statement. :cry:

I would take them walnut stocks off before sending it in for repair. They don't always come back the way you sent 'em in. Call Customer Service and see if you can just send in the frame, since that is really all they need to fix it. If you are handy, I think someone in the rifle forum had CS send them the parts and they put 'em in thereself.

Seems like there have been a rash of broken transfer bars over the last year or so. Makes me wonder if there wasn't a change in production, a step missed or something. I have also heard of the transfer bar falling off the end of the pin because they were not peened in good. Good luck.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Critter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Good Questions!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 06:48:06 PM »
My 28 guage has over four cases of ammo through it plus misc boxes so maybe another case and it still works fine.  However the transfer bar broke on me the very first time I had it out hunting.  Called NEF and they had the part to me in no time.

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
Good Questions!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 01:47:09 AM »
To All,

Called the customer Service yesterday, (I think I talked to the LADY and I will just leave it at that) She said to just send receiver, I have taken it a part to just the receiver and will send it today. Busta thanks for the advice, for the walnut stocks are pretty. While the receiver is in for repairs it will give me time to refinish the stock with an oil finish.
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Good Questions!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 02:00:56 AM »
Froghunter,

Sounds like a plan, and I know what ya mean about the LADY!  :?
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member