Author Topic: Slugged my .50 CVA & need cast bullet recommendation.  (Read 412 times)

Offline Lives2hunt

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
Slugged my .50 CVA & need cast bullet recommendation.
« on: February 24, 2013, 12:27:52 PM »
So after slugging the .50 caliber muzzleloader barrel it reads .560 grove diameter. What size cast bullets would you recommend for this barrel? I don't cast so I'd need to find a supplier like Western Bullet to get them from. Thanks for your suggestions.
Will hunt for food.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Slugged my .50 CVA & need cast bullet recommendation.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 02:56:56 AM »
It is a muzzle loader. You don't care what the groove diameter is. Load bullets to fit the bore. The twist rate will tell you how heavy they need to be.

BTW, are you sure it is a 50 cal? You would expect more like .508" - .510" in the grooves of a 50.

"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline bosephus

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 07:16:46 AM »
i think nobades right ..  you have a .54 there not a .50

as to what you should shoot out of it .... what rate of twist is the barrel  faster twists do better with mini's and maxi's  , slower does better with round ball

Offline Lives2hunt

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 09:10:06 AM »
Mistake was mine, barrel is stamped .50 cal. but measurement should have been .506 instead of .560. The twist is 1:28 but I was wanting as tight a fit to the bore as possible for better accuracy. Any suggestions for a cast bullet about 350 or more grains (I'll be shooting closer than 75 yards).
Will hunt for food.

Offline bosephus

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 02:52:52 PM »

i think youll have pretty good luck with nearly any comercial  hollow base  mini' ball  if you stick to something around 350 grains .

muzzle loaders can be very forgiving and most times will shoot near anything  if you take the time and effort to develope a load and loading procedure the rifle likes