Author Topic: 308 and 44mag  (Read 519 times)

Offline bigshooz

• Trade Count: (0)
308 and 44mag
« on: January 13, 2006, 09:59:01 AM »
hey guys im going to order a 308bull barrel and a 44 mag barrelfrom h&r can anyone with these barrels tell me how well they shoot out of the box ,and how muchcoaxing theyneed to shoot well .also any favorite food they have.
:?
slide it where it fits jam it where it doesnt  :wink:   [/quote]

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
308 and 44mag
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 10:12:06 AM »
From what i have read here , The 308s shoot very well , The 44s tend to run over sized in the bore , But this can be overcome with cast bullets sized on the large size .

Also they can be reamed to 445 super mag and this seems to help also .

Hope this helps .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
308 and 44mag
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 10:40:06 AM »
I have one of each.  The .308 came out of the box shooting great with only an occasional stuck empty.  Polishing the chamber quickly cured that and I have not had any trouble in the last 100 or so shots.  This barrel accounted for two deer this year. :grin:  
     The .44mag has been a real project.  :?  Some people have claimed to get barrels that shoot .429 bullets accurately but my barrel runs closer to .432.  I have tried everything from .429 jacketed to .432 cast and can not yet say that I am satisfied with the accuracy.  The gun seems to shoot light loads better than heavy loads.  In this I am talking about powder loads not weight of bullets.  As one last attempt I have loaded light and heavy loads with every size bullet I have and just in case I had a bad scope I changed that too and as soon as my recently operated on arm and the weather allows I will see if any of these group.  I really want the .44 to shoot and would be content if it would even punch paper with light loads as I have a Deerfield with excellent accuracy to hunt with.  Please remember this is just my experience with this one barrel and others say they have real ‘shooters’.  
     Another option if the .44 scares you away would be a 45/70.  I got one of those at the same time I got the .308 and it will shoot same hole at 50yards.  You can shoot ‘light’ 300g loads that will match a ‘heavy’ .44 and have the option of shooting much heavier loads in both bullet weight and powder load.  I have not seen anyone complain that their 45/70 disappointed them in the accuracy department.
RJ

Offline coop2564

• A Real Regular
308 and 44mag
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 01:30:27 PM »
My 308 took about 60 shots to get to moa.  And lots of cleaning between groups. It was fouling bad until I hit 40 shots then it started grouping and grouped tighter every time I cleaned. It still requires cleaning after four or five rounds to keep its tight group but is getting better evertime I shoot. If I had tried the lapping in sticky's might have speed it up. I've not had a stuck case yet with the 308.
Browning Illusion Bow
Omega Thumbhole .50_NEF Huntsman .50
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR

Offline safetysheriff

308 and 44mag
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 03:11:20 PM »
every rifle or barrel is a law unto itself.    you can't be guaranteed how well it will shoot, and what weight or brand of projectile / propellant it will like without experimenting.   usually the .308 is a very accurate platform to work with if the chamber is done concentric with the bore and it is not 'oversize' or out of SAAMI spec'.    

for those .44 mag' shooters who are having trouble with oversize bores i make the following suggestion which may have been made here before even if I don't remember it:    go with a large-diameter projectile using a gas check.    if the groove diameter is .432, which IS large, then a .433 or .434 diameter hardcast bullet with a gas check should help.    the rifles with the old-style micro-groove will benefit from the gas check gripping the rifling, and the large diameter of the projectile speaks for itself.

one more thing: a softer, more-expansive bullet can be shot out of a micro-groove if a gas check is used to grip the rifling to help accuracy.   on some animals that expansion will greatly help.

i have given up on shooting hardcast lead that has no gas check in a micro-grooved Marlin barrel.   it's too easy to do it with a jacketed bullet!

good luck,

ss'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
308 and 44mag
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 08:34:28 AM »
My 308 is great, my 44..... :(

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
308 and 44mag
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 12:42:24 PM »
I don't have a 308 barrel, but I do have a 44Mag. It's an old one, but shoots pretty good. Though I still can't get it to lock up as tight as I would like.
I haven't had a whole lot of range time with it, but with cheapo PMC 240gr TC-SP's like these:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=148336
have shoot pretty good in mine so far.
I'll get around to a range report one of these days if I can ever get it the way I want.
-Aaron