Poll

Which scope for a .204 Ruger for under or around $150?

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: January 14, 2006, 02:01:39 PM

Author Topic: Which Scope?  (Read 762 times)

Offline Loki_762

• Trade Count: (0)
Which Scope?
« on: January 14, 2006, 02:01:39 PM »
When payday comes next month, I will be picking up a new Handi-Rifle in .204 Ruger, which I will be using on ground squirrels and rockchucks. I am also looking for a quality scope that won't break the bank, around $150 or less. I am looking for something with high magnification, such as a 6-18, or even a 6-24.  Which of the scopes would you recommend?
Thanks,
Loki

Offline whitedogone

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 Skeet 28g 28"
Browning BPS Syn. 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS rifled w/ Pentax 2x5x20
Tikka M595 in .223 w/ Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40
Savage 93 in 17HMR w/ Mueller APV 4.5-14
Winchester 94 mint Built in 1951
Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" 44 Mag

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Which Scope?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 06:27:19 AM »
The WTC18 that WD1 recommended is a nice scope and a great price, but it has a couple issues, It has a rather thick reticle and the finish is not very durable and unattractive to most shooters, kind of a krinkle finish. I had one mounted on a Handi if ya want a look, it's mounted in medium sig zees.

I voted for the Mueller Tactical, it's got great reviews at RFC and PredatorMasters and is selling very well. I don't have it yet, have most of the other Muellers, the Eraticator is mounted on my .204 Ruger Handi, and the Tactical is bases on it with a few minor changes, biggest being no illumination, smaller objective and ΒΌ" clicks instead of 1/8". There's going to be a price incease Feb 1, but they're also going to change to one-piece tubes for all variable models except the Eraticator.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Loki_762

Which Scope?
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 08:35:23 AM »
Tim,
Thanks for the reply.  Which rings do you have with that scope?  Since I am getting the Handi (finally), I want to be sure to get rings that will allow me to still cock the hammer with the scope mounted.  I am leaning towards that Mueller, even though the Bushnell Banner is a close second.
Thanks,
Chris

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Which Scope?
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 01:05:14 PM »
Chris, those are medium Burris Signature Zees. Same as I have on my .204 Ruger Handi with the Eraticator....The position/size of the ocular bell and or power ring in relation to the hammer are the determining factors when choosing rings, most of my scopes are mount in mediums, but some need the high Sig Zees. Usually if the scope needs to be moved back or forward a bit, one of those 2 locations causes a problem. My anatomy usually allows for the hammer to be between the power ring and ocular bell with just enough clearance to work with a hammer spur extension. There isn't one on the WTC18/.280 Handi in the pic, but it needs one.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline akpls

• Contributor
Which Scope?
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 03:52:23 PM »
I mounted the Mueller Tactical on my son's NEF .17 HMR.  It was a tight fit, but I finally got it on with a set of Leupold QRW's.  There has gotta be less than 1/8" clearance between the hammer and the scope, but it seems to be working out for now.  I reallly am impressed with the Mueller and can't endorse any of the low end Bushnells since those are the only scopes that have ever failed on me.

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
Which Scope?
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 02:06:49 PM »
I've been happy with all my Bushnells. Have 4 now. Just bought the 3 x 9 x 50 Banner. Only shot enough to sight in a rifle, but no problems. I also have a Elite 3200 on my .270 and really like it.
Romans 8:38,39