Author Topic: Storage of soft-lubed bullets  (Read 938 times)

Offline Cheyenne Ranger

• Trade Count: (0)
Storage of soft-lubed bullets
« on: March 11, 2003, 07:49:02 AM »
What is a good way to store soft-lubed bullets so the lube doesn't go everywhere and make a mess?
thanks
SASS 48747L
RO II
Thunder River Renegades
SBSS #1170--OGB

Offline John Traveler

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2003, 07:56:06 AM »
Try those cheap disposable plastic food boxes (Zip Loc brand) from the supermarket.

I line them up in double layers, and store the suckers in my fridge to stop the lube from melting and running out.

P.S.

Hide them on the lower shelf behind the box of arm and Hammer baking soda so your wife won't get suspicious!
John Traveler

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2003, 01:19:35 PM »
a light dusting of mica powder helps its available at midway
blue lives matter

Offline Graycg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (74)
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2003, 03:04:31 PM »
Lyman manual says only size and lube as many as you need for the loading at hand....  Good idea, but not too real world for some of us, but I had to adopt it because I live in Miami now and I tried the dusting with mica and all kinds of plastic containers, but nothing stopped the alox lubes from running off the bullets in the 100 degree plus temps in my garage.  Wife doesn't allow bullets in reefer, maybe yours will.  The two ideas above are very good if your storage is relatively cool.  I gave up on the alox and went to LBT blue and will never look back.  You need a heater, but no matter how hot it gets in my garage, the stuff will not run off.  You can store them in any container you wish.  The lubricating properties of LBT blue are as good or better than alox and there's no alox smell when you are loading or shooting.  

Good luck,
 Graycg
"Secretly you want me on that wall; you need me on that wall"  
 Colonel Nathan Jessup

Offline Cheyenne Ranger

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2003, 04:58:18 PM »
Actually have been using Thompson's Blue Angel and it never runs; but, have abut 5 sticks of soft lube that I'm too cheap to toss so I want to use it up while not making too much more work for me.
Probably will try the ice box storage route.
thanks to all for your ideas
SASS 48747L
RO II
Thunder River Renegades
SBSS #1170--OGB

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2003, 12:35:53 AM »
mix equal parts of the soft lube you have and the blue angle it will make a good compromise lube that wont be to hard or to soft.
blue lives matter

Offline HBL

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2003, 01:39:05 AM »
After I heat treat and lube my bullets, they go in to the freezer, near 0 degrees. Bullets will keep their hardness longer, and the lube will stay just as it was when you applied it.
Gun Control is the Ability to hit what you are aiming at.

Offline Mason Stillwell

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2003, 02:21:07 AM »
If you have bought any bullets from Mid kansas or Meister that were lubed with soft lube. Save the stryofom trays that they come in and just reuse them . Also you can buy those trays from Midway USA

Pete
Thingn's aint always what they seem !!!
SASS # 32017
RO 1 & 2
Darksider
Member NRA

Offline sundog

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2003, 05:58:34 AM »
Lots of 9mm, 357, and 45acp plastic ammo storage boxes.  Make up alot ahead of time in the winter, store them in my reloading room at room temp, and shoot them all summer..., then start over next winter.  sundog

btw, the boxes are relatively cheap when you catch a sale at Midway.
safety first

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2003, 09:27:04 AM »
I also use the midway boxes there real nice for bullets. One thing to watch if your using the frezzer deal is once when I was casting on a hot day I put the lubesized bullets in the frezzer figuring it would at least set up the lube. I took them out about an hour later and loaded a bunch. I had quite a few missfires. Probably because of the condesation that formed on the cold bullets when they hit the hot air. So if you do it make sure you let them sit for a while and warm up and dry before you use em!
blue lives matter

Offline HBL

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2003, 02:28:43 AM »
The containers I use consist of cardboard, military 9mm ammo boxes that midway sold in bulk several years back. I can get around 70 300gr cast bullets in these boxes for storage. I don't know if they still sell them, but they are great boxes for storing just about anything.

And I agree with Lloyd, I always kept a rag handy to wipe the bottom of the bullets prior to seating. This was just to make sure moisture didn't come in contact with the powder.

Good Shooting,

HBL
Gun Control is the Ability to hit what you are aiming at.