Author Topic: Chambering and So On in Single-Shots  (Read 505 times)

Offline safetysheriff

• Trade Count: (0)
Chambering and So On in Single-Shots
« on: January 14, 2006, 05:28:19 AM »
Hello All.

although the article below deals with the T/C Encore, many of the principles apply to our brand of single-shot rifle.    Some of the ideas like strengthening the lock-up of the barrel, and the use of shallow-throating angles are text-book ideas re: achieving consistency which leads to accuracy.

you'll possibly note the use of an over-sized hinge pin to achieve better barrel lockup.   i'm guessing that with some of our long-range endeavors with a Handi' that this might be a very useful modification where needed.  

i hope you find something useful out of this:

www.6mmbr.com/BellmEncore.html

take care,

ss'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline jeff223

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 06:47:15 AM »
good out Mike B with all his stuff for TCs.i shoot TCs and never had to use any of his stuff yet.not saying he doesnt know his stuff but i think hes out for peoples money.ive visited his site and you will find all of this and stuff from the other one thats out for your money,David White??the prices charged are alittle high for my liking.you can really put some dough into a handi rifle barrel if you deal with David??who would want too??

thanks SS there is some good info here.some food for thought

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 08:56:00 AM »
SS.
There is nothing wrong with a bigger hinge pin, but that will stop interchanging barrels. A better idea is to mill off the front of the under lug up to the spring retaining pin and replace it with a good piece of hardenrd steel. Mill in the 3/8 seat and weld or sweat it in place not a real big job.

The as is underlug is made of very soft steel in a shape  of a U-channel, 26% of the pin bearing is missing. So the two small upstand edges are taking most of the thrust load with resultent upset meaning a gap in the lock up.

My putty job is standing up really well with the hole filled in. I don't know how much resistance the plug provides but it has to be close to 800lbs or 10% of the total load.
The spring pin is left in place and is in double shear for the plug the bear against. Some nifty welder could weld the hole up soild for even more support.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 10:05:04 AM »
jeff,

i didn't like everything i saw on his site; but i liked it enough to think of it as food for thought, too.   some of it is appropriate for re-chamberings, etc.

fred M'

that poor rendition of an underlug -- made of soft steel -- and the cut-out of so much metal is why i coat those parts, and others, with the molybdenum disulfide-type lube from Valvoline (letting everything sit for two weeks) before i ever shoot the Handi's.   the idea of the moly' etching its way into the metal seems to work from what i can see.   my barrels/hinge pins have held up well so far but i hope i never have to eat those words.   at the end of the season i pull the forearm and remove the camo' tape from the barrel and do a thorough cleaning of the barrels and a re-bluing.   the initial use of the moly' grease seems to have protected the barrels very well from rust.  

as far as interchangability goes, at the risk of sounding simplistic -- i don't use the accessory-barrel program.  i lay down enough money to get a whole new rifle including the frame and stocks......because in the long run it is a bargain.   to each his own, but i don't plan on ever ordering just a barrel from NEF.   i'd rather wait for a rifle to go on sale.   maybe i'm lucky -- actually calling it 'blessed' -- but i've not had a gap at the back of a barrel / breech, nor sideplay, etc.etc.etc.   i've interchanged barrels a couple times without firing them and all seemed very well.  

take care,

ss'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 02:04:50 PM »
SS
i don't use the accessory-barrel program. i lay down enough money to get a whole new rifle including the frame and stocks

I am with you on that one, one complete gun for each caliber. I fit all my barrels to the actions. Eh man, I only have two.

I use Moly plated bullets in all my rifles, and use Moly SlidePaste a NECO product on all hinges of SxS O/U and the Handi's hinges. I never heard that it prevents steel from peening or upsetting?

It is of course a super lubricant and it stays put. Yes it penetrates the microscopic suface crevices. Great stuff that is why gun barrels benefit so much when using Moly plated bullets.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 03:31:50 PM »
Fred'

i don't think that you could ever count on moly' to keep steel from peening or upsetting, just that it is a chemical that will surface harden a material to reduce the wear, beside the lubrication that it provides as a protection.   the body man at work is the one who told me that moly' (which i later learned will only do this in some forms) etches its way into the metal.  sounds like the acid that they used years ago to harden the surface of the camshafts that we used at Ford Motor Co.   so you're right, it'll only do so much and then the metal behind it will have to do its part.  

it's an excellent etching material only if it is blended with certain greases/carriers.  blessedly, the Valvoline lube i buy has this capability with the steels i've put it on whether ordnance-grade or the milder stuff they use for muzzleloaders.  moly' itself, however, like a lot of people use it on projectiles, will not migrate/etch its way into the metal.  

take care,

ss'

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 03:50:13 PM »
FWIW, I use Moly-fusion on my hinge areas, dunno if it helps, but it hasn't hurt........yet!!!  I know for a fact it works great in bores, should help reduce wear on the hinge too. Chief Dave at RFC uses it in his 17hmr and gets fantastic velocity, 2755fps compared to ~2650fps before the treatments. I've never chrono'd any of mine, but they clean so much easier and don't need much fouling to shoot good after cleaning, just a few shots compared to 20 or 30 before the treatment. It takes about 2 repeats after the first treatment to get full effect.

Tim

http://www.molyfusion.com/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain