Author Topic: 9mm Handi ???  (Read 538 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
9mm Handi ???
« on: January 11, 2006, 12:10:45 PM »
Has anyone here ever done a conversion to 9mm?  Thinking of buying a Ruger revolver with 357 and 9mm cylinders.  Just thought it might be cool to have long guns to fire the same calibers.  Can it be done, what caliber would you need to start with if it could be done?  Thanks
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
9mm Handi ???
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 02:19:06 PM »
hey cookie first off save yur money on the ruger convertiable i owned one in the 4 3/4 in barrel  shot great in 38 spl and 357mag but the 9mm cylinder was junk in accurate , they flew all over the place  even at short distances they wouldnt group at all, as for a rechamber??? iam not sure, i suppose u'd have to rebore everything maybe from a 30 cal?

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
9mm Handi ???
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 02:21:30 PM »
hey cookie first off save yur money on the ruger convertiable i owned one in the 4 3/4 in barrel  shot great in 38 spl and 357mag but the 9mm cylinder was junk in accurate , they flew all over the place  even at short distances they wouldnt group at all, as for a rechamber??? iam not sure, i suppose u'd have to rebore everything maybe from a 30 cal?

Offline skfullen

• Trade Count: (0)
9mm Handi ???
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 02:25:21 PM »
That sounds like a great idea...a 9mm handy!

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
9mm Handi ???
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 02:27:44 PM »
sorry boutthe extra post?

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
9mm Handi ???
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 03:18:39 PM »
Maybe a better choice would be to just buy a 17 Mach 2, 17HMR, or 22WMR and then buy a pistol to match.  That Mach 2 is supposed to be a great round and Taurus makes a revolver in that.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
9mm Handi
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 04:09:38 PM »
I think you would have a hard time getting a handi in 9mm.
 Only thing I can think of Boring a 22 Hornett to 9 mm.
 Cost would be expensive. All others camber is to big.
 Just my thoughts. Marv.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
9mm Handi ???
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 07:05:39 PM »
Or, and this would have to be done by a DIE HARD 9mm fan, buy a 357 barrel, remove the lug hinge under the barrel, cut down the chamber end and then weld back the lug and hand fitted all by a gunsmith.
 Then you would have a way under powered caliber in a barrel that used to be chambered in a caliber that would turn circles around the 9mm and still not shoot as good as the factory chambered barrel that was originally...357. Confused yet? :)
So unless we ever get a factory barrel chambered in 9mm-or my personal choice 45acp-this job would be a tad costly and futile.
Though I admit it would be cool to have a 9mm or 45acp in a Handi barrel.
A lot of fun.
-Aaron

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
9mm Handi ???
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 12:10:14 AM »
Surpised even me, Aaron.  I DID follow ya.  LOL  Pretty good for 5am!  I think you are right about the cost, too.  Besides, the 22Mag or 17HMR are cheaper to shoot and they already make them, and Taurus makes several pistols in those calibers.   Yeah, I gotta admit, I have kinda wanted to get a Sportster.  LOL  Another Handi, what's not to like about that!  Thanks
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
9mm Handi ???
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 12:36:16 PM »
High powerish :) , heavy grain plinkers are fun-No Doubt about that. And having a 9mm, 40S&W, or 45ACP barrel would be awesome and a ton of fun. This was discussed before in another thread, but it's always nice to keep fresh ideas in the fore front-ya never know WHO might be reading? :wink:
Go with a Sportster, you'll have a lot of plinking fun with it too. And even cheaper.
-Aaron

Offline pascalp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
9mm Handi ???
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 01:14:53 PM »
9mm need a tight 38/357 barrel. In fact a .355 will be better for accuracy.
Manurhin MR73 is a convertible 357/9mm, the barrel is 355. This wheelgun was used by Policeman and Gendarmerie, so Manufacturer give them ability to switch between "civilian" and "military" ammo while keeping a good accuracy.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
9mm Handi ???
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 01:52:21 PM »
.45 ACP Handi, be still my heart. I'll buy one right after I get my .35 Remington Handi. Lets see, next on my list for Handi's:

1)    .35 Remington

2)    .45 ACP

3)    .348 Winchester

reminds me of the old song, "To dream the impossible dream..."

....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley