Author Topic: Tree stand safety  (Read 660 times)

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Tree stand safety
« on: January 18, 2004, 05:22:23 PM »
Let's suppose your in your tree stand (climbing,hanging, or ladder) tied to the tree with your safety harnass, and your stand falls. Now what? Hang there until your buddy gets done hunting for the day (then shows up and tell you there is nothing he can do from where he is) or cut the rope! If you cut the rope your going to fall very quickly with a sharp knife in your hand! Why hasn't someone or company come up with a safety system with a rope long enough to let you lower yourself back down to the ground without this mess?
Where's the safety in falling 10' to 20' or more fast , maybe upside down? I've work construction for the last 29 years and know that to tie off in the back is to stay where you are, you won't be able to help yourself most of the time, all hunting harnasses I've seen tie off in the back? Go figure, I don't see the safety in safety gear made for the outsdoorsman today. Somebody set me right on this, please.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
Tree stand safety
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 05:59:59 PM »
S.B., you post is one of the many reasons I don't use tree stands of any type.I prefer shooting houses.Much safer and more comfortable.On the tree stands,I thought that bottom part ,if two parts,always had ropes connecting each side to keep lower part from falling out from under you?You say the harness attach on back?I did not know this.I use to climb radio towers in my younger days and my safety harness ran under both legs and shoulders and connected in front.     Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
Tree stand safety
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 05:20:28 AM »
I don't hunt from tree stands. I do teach hunter safety and there are good safety videos that can help answer some of your questions. As for the knife question, there are cutting devices made for seat belts that are made to cut the strap but not the user.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
Tree stand safety
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 08:42:25 AM »
Dave, I also help teach a Hunter Safety course here in Illinois.  Can't imagine cutting the rope on a safety harness with any type of cutting tool and willlingly falling the distance to the ground. As for yet another device to carry when hunting, I think the situation could be solved by the manufacturers coming up with a safety system with a lowering device (read: repalleling) so a hunter in trouble, in his stand, could lower himself, safely, unassisted to the ground. As far as I concerned, the teaching of the use of tree stands, as they now exist,  is a dangerous endeavor at best. As for good videos, I've yet to see one telling or showing how to get down from a tree after you find yourself in trouble.
AF&AM #294

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Tree stand safety
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 09:15:34 AM »
Maybe not answering your question, but I use tree stands. I have a 16 foot ladder stand. When you are seated you strap in and there is a shooting rest in the front which keeps you from falling out. I keep the strap short so if I lean out to much it stops me from going to far. Better safe than sorry. I also have a 12 foot ladder stand and it is very safe. I have climber stands also. I buy the ones with the bar out front (Shooting rest). I also do not climb over 12 feet for my personal height reasons. I do not see why people go up to 20 and 25 feet or beyond. I like more than anything to hunt from the ground when woods are not to thick or on an open field. No worry of falling there. But as you said I think there needs to be better safety harnesses made for hunters. The should be a type harness that will let you come down slowly. Like a decelerator. I would pay the extra money for it.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
Tree stand safety
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 10:20:39 AM »
S.B. , I believe there are harness setups that work while climbing as well as the straps like linemen use while climbing. I'm a retired military flight engineer and there are lowering devices made into the harness/parachutes we had. The lowering devices you mention can be done. Ours has a simple nylon web line and a sliding metal device you control the rate of decent by the angle you let the line slide through the device. It's simple and inexpensive.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
Tree stand safety
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 01:07:29 PM »
Dave, if you ever run accross a website or phone number for the type of harness you mention, I sure would appreciate know about it. Thanks.
AF&AM #294

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Tree stand safety
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 09:41:24 AM »
If you use the stand right you should never have worry about not getting down.
1) use a short rope and tie the two half's together. If the stand didn't come with one get some rope and do it your self. the rope should be only about 3 feet long (or no longer then your legs can reach)
2) always keep all of your weight on one part of the stand. ( they one that you are not moving up at the time) If you have all your weight on the foot climber and the seat falls it will only go down to about your knees. if the climber slips when you weight is on the seat the short rope will keep if from falling out of reach.

as for lowering your self if you should fall:
one can get a Caribbean, figure 8, about 40 foot of 9 mm kermantal rope  and a screw in step. all this will fin in a small bag that can be hung on the harness. this is very close to the same set-up fire fighters carry for self rescue