Author Topic: 1860 Army Cursed?  (Read 1485 times)

Offline HonoluluHawk

• Trade Count: (0)
1860 Army Cursed?
« on: June 06, 2003, 02:25:07 PM »
I've got the Uberti 1860 Army.  After about 250 rounds, the hand spring broke.  Being under warranty it was shipped back to Connecticut and repaired.  That took a month or so.  Upon its return and after a couple hundred more rounds, the front sight blew off into the grass somewhere.  Again another roundtrip to Connecticut and another six weeks of down time.  Today, the stud which secures the loading lever joined the front sight somewhere in the tall grass of the range inside Kokohead crater here in Honolulu.  I am not going to ship this thing back for repairs a third time within a year.

Is this gun cursed or are the Pyrodex P pellets simply too powerful for this model?  Alternatively are these Uberti replicas really just wall-hangers?

BTW anyone know how the barrell stud is afixed to the barrell?

8)

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
1860 Army Cursed?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2003, 04:41:10 PM »
Aloha pard,
I have seen the pellets, but I cannot recall how many grains they are rated. A good easy load would be in the 30-35 grain range. Does it kick like a mule? Maybe the pellets are 50 grainers for muzzleloaders.
It does sound as though you are shooting that thing apart though.

Maybe someone that knows about pyrodex pellets will jump in here with some input.

Aloha,
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
1860 Army Cursed?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2003, 03:38:21 AM »
Donno, but I have one Pietta that I've had to seal just about every screw in it.  They loosen very easily.  I have another that hasn't seen a screw loose yet, but they are both loaded with the same measure.  Most any kind of thread sealer will work, even fingernail polish.
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline Charlie Detroit

• Contributor
1860 Army Cursed?
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2003, 05:29:39 AM »
Dunno about the friggin' thing comin' apart on ya all the time, that's kind of a new one on me, but ya gotta remember that sometimes (even with the best manufacturers) tolerances will "stack" and things won't work right. Uberti has a real good rep, and so, if something like that has happened and you got a lemon, they should be willing to back it up.
On the other hand, these fellas may be right; you may be over loading it, although that doesn't seem very likely. BP revolvers are damned hard to overload. Unless you use smokeless, of course. Let's not even talk about that.
You may be using to big a bullet (or too heavy, or too hard), but for that to happen, you'd have to have oversize ('way oversized!) chambers. Check 'em.
I think I would check with the company on this one; they may have some idea of what's going on.
I ain't paranoid but every so often, I spin around real quick.--just in case
Sometimes I have a gun in my hand when I spin around.--just in case
I ain't paranoid, but sometimes I shoot when I spin around.--just in case

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
1860 Army Cursed?
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2003, 06:04:21 AM »
OK, I did a check. The pyrodex pellets are 50gr equivalant. Pard, that is a heap of powder there. You need to cut that thing down to 30-35 grains if you are going to shoot that thing much at all. If you are plinking or shooting it alot, cut back on the powder and you will enjoy shooting to 50 yards. If you need to shoot further, use your rifle.
Remember most gunfights with those were in a range of just 15-20 yards.

That loctite suggestion is good too.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Offline Jeff Vicars

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
1860 Army Cursed?
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2003, 09:08:17 AM »
Mr. Doody, Pyrodex pistol pellets are 30 grain.

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
1860 Army Cursed?
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2003, 09:15:26 AM »
Don't send that thing off on a six week trip. Fix it yourself!
I have a Pietta 1860 Army. First the main spring broke. I had already had the handle apart, so that was pretty easy. I sent off for a new spring [free under warranty] and put it in in five minutes. In fact, it was too stiff, so I ground it down with a belt sander until it was right. It works fine.
Then the hand spring broke. I sent off for one [again free]. I was intimidated by this, as I had to get into the guts of the gun. Believe me, it is pretty simple to take these things apart. I fixed the hand in ten minutes.
As far as your loading lever falling off, you just have to keep an eye on the screws, they will work loose.
The front sight, I am not sure. I had a civil war rifle, and I put a new front sight on it. I simply soldered it in place with a propane torch, and plumbing solder, stuff you can buy at K Mart for ten bucks.
Pietta has a repair kit with a spare main spring, hand and spring etc. Send off for one of those kits and become your own gunsmith.
I was posting up on this forum a few months ago about how I was intimidated about taking the gun apart and a 13 year old kid [the smartass] got on here and said he takes his apart all the time. You can do it too.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
1860 Army Cursed?
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2003, 09:57:28 AM »
Mr Vicars, I stand corrected then. I must have figured the 50grainers were the only ones. Sorry for the misinformation.
I never have seen them. No one carries them in my area, but they did carry the Clean=Shot ones until the lawsuit.

30 gr sounds like a good load.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
1860 Army Cursed?
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2003, 08:05:25 PM »
Aloha HonoluluHawk!  Do you shoot with us?  Can't remember everybody.  Our annual Shooting Sports Fest is coming up on the 4th weekend of this month.  If you've a mind to, me and a couple of other c&b shooters will be there on Saturday and Sunday.  We shoot Remmies, 51's, 60's and a few other rarities that one of the other pards usually finds.  If you need help with your 60's, come on down and talk story with us.  

Btw, Pyro pellets do shoot on the hot side.  Go with Pyro loose powder in RS.  It'll work fine.  If you can wait, one of our BP shooters also brings in Goex and you may be able to buy a can or two off of him.  Less than $11 each.  Just so happens he had an order fall through and he now has a surplus he needs to get rid of kinda quick.

If you haven't shot with us, our venue is for the Single Action Shooters of Hawai'i.  We'll be on the left side of the range as you drive in.  Can't miss us.  The Fest runs from 10am to 4pm on both days, if I'm not mistaken.  Just ask for Singing Bear or Clell Miller.  We'll be more than happy to help you out. :-)
Singing Bear

Offline HonoluluHawk

Thanks for all the responses
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2003, 08:48:54 AM »
The Pyro pellets say they are 30 gr on the can, but they sure seem to kick harder than 30 grains of P powder.  I've tried both .451 and .454 balls and the larger ones seem to be the better fit. I'm pretty sure the homemade wads and the CCI #11s aren't the problem.

My recent problem is a barrel stud problem which appears to be a part which is either soldered or welded onto the barrel.  The part is enroute. I oughta just fix these things myself, but I've got an Italian car and with the Italians there's always a trick in the process somewhere.

SB, I haven't been out to Kokohead on the weekends. I'm sort of a Thurs or Fri afternoon sort of shooter. Maybe I'll come out on the 28th or 29th.

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
1860 Army Cursed?
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2003, 04:45:10 PM »
Aloha Hawk!  Good.  Hope to meet you.  Btw, I had the same problem with an ASM 60.  Only mine dropped on some dirt and was easily found.  I just peened it back into place with a small, slotted screwdriver....an old one.  These things are only peened into a shallow dovetail.  Even after repeening, you still have to check once in awhile.  You may try using some super glue or epoxy type cement to help it out as well.  My gun was less expensive so  I'm not too concerned about marring up the finish of this particular shooter. :grin:
Singing Bear