Author Topic: has anyone tried out the handi in 500 S&W?  (Read 1426 times)

Offline superjay01

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
has anyone tried out the handi in 500 S&W?
« on: January 13, 2006, 02:43:24 PM »
I was just wondering what everyone thought of it.  Good, bad, ungly.
Chance favors the prepared mind

Offline frank405

• Trade Count: (0)
500 handi
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 05:54:31 AM »
we are shooting two of them. replaced the rear sight with a peep, accuracy went up. I have a 450 Keith bullet doing 1720 at -10 degrees that went into an inch at 50 yards from sitting. I dont shoot from the bench, at least something that kicks.  It is pretty good rifle, I do wish they had an ejector instead of an inefectual extractor. We have shot a 300 grain gas check at 2200 fps with good accuracy also, might work on thin skinned game!!

Offline superjay01

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
has anyone tried out the handi in 500 S&
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 08:29:42 AM »
does it have a lot kick to it?
Chance favors the prepared mind

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Re: 500 handi
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 04:42:47 PM »
Quote from: frank405
we are shooting two of them. replaced the rear sight with a peep, accuracy went up.

Which peep did you find to fit it?
Don

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 04:56:41 PM »
Don, check out the Handi peep and firesight sticky....

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 05:20:00 PM »
Just handled one today, the bad and ugly would be the plastic sights they used to put on the huntsman. :roll:  Totally unacceptable sights for me.

I hope they put some metal sights on it this year or I wont be buying one. I had the junk plastic sights on my 2003 huntsman and I now have the Williams Fire Sights and Peep Sight, much better. If it will be scoped and the sights are going to be removed, I guess it wont matter much.

I hope H&R/NEF gets rid of all those plastic sights SOON.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 05:25:45 PM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
Don, check out the Handi peep and firesight sticky....

Tim

Tim,
Thanks Tim! Since I scoped my BC, I was wondering if the peep from my BC would fit on it. I guess I'm trying to justify buying the .500 S+W by using it as an iron sighted rifle. Knowing the way things work, I'd probably still end up with a scope on it. My dealer has five of the .500's NIB, and they have been calling to me. I have a nice Ultra stock that would look great on it.
Don

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 05:57:56 PM »
Quote from: superjay01
does it have a lot kick to it?

Yup..as light as it is without adding any weight to it or a magnum type recoil pad,and using factory loads will kick a-lot.You can handload for it at a reduced rate..but then one needs to ask why not get a 45-70 instead,which has many many more loads available at the reduced velocity and with less recoil in factory ammo,and when you want go with the real brusier of loads for it.

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 06:00:38 PM »
The BC WGRS will fit fine, it uses the 2 rear base mount holes. Be sure to clean the factory thread locker out of the mount holes, or the WGRS screws won't likely tighten up, they'll bottom out against the thread locker. The bottom of the mount holes should appear bright and shiny. I use a micro torch to heat the thread locker, then it's easy to dig out with a sewing awl or pointy tool. Dunno about the height of the factory sight, might take replacing to get it to work together, which if it's plastic, you'll probably wanta do anyway.  :wink:

That Ultra stock will take some of the recoil out, add a small grind-to-fit Limbsaver, and you'll be all set!!! Well....maybe some weight in the stock bolt hole, too..... :oops:

Tim

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 11:55:57 PM »
Being able to use the BC rear sight is good news. If that doesn't work out using the front sight, I still have an old 2 1/2X scope that would be ideal for this rifle. As for the recoil, I can't see it being too much worse than the BC was with the steel butt plate, but my X-Coil recoil pad fix for that should work on this if I find it's needed. I don't mind have a weighted rifle for the bench, but in the field I want it as light as is reasonably possible. I still have my lead filled copper pipe I made to fit the BC for bench use. The BC hasn't needed it since adding the recoil pad. Any recommended loads for the .500? I'm seeing lots of new bullets available from many more sources. Hornady has an interesting 500gr. XTP and all of the major cast bullet makers are jumping into then fray. The first time I looked for reloading components for the .500 S+W, the brass was mighty pricey, but I see Hornady has some at a good price now. Lee also has their carbide dies for this under $20.
Don

Offline Gutshot

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 03:40:15 AM »
What do you suppose the bolt thrust is on that puppy! Not to mention the pressure. Why would the Handi not be able to handle a Magnum cartridge do you suppose? A 500grn bullet at what 17- 1800 FPS? I think Marlin is very very cautious with there reciever ratings and it crosses over to H&R. That little rifle looks to be a lot of fun.

Good luck with it.

AL

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 05:44:45 AM »
Max load data pressure that I've seen is a little over 50,000psi in Hodgdons's 2004 Annual. Although I've seen 60,000psi listed as the max pressure in articles about the 500S&W, I've never seen data using that pressure. Maybe Mac will post the pressure from the 2006 annual, which BTW, would ba an inexpensive source for load Data, Don. :wink:  There are a few posts on it if you wanta do a search.

Tim

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 07:46:30 AM »
Max load data pressure that I've seen is a little over 50,000psi in Hodgdons's 2004 Annual.

Tim

That seems to hold true for the new 2006 Hodgdon Annual as well. the top pressure I see listed is 51,900 PSI. I had always looked at the additional length of the BC and tried to figure out the additional FPS gain over listed load velocities. Well with the .500 S+W loads being shot from a listed 10" barrel in the Hodgdon Annual, we're adding an additional 12" of barrel length. With 440gr. cast loads showing 1650FPS, I'd guestimate we would be looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 1800-1900 FPS from this 22" barreled rifle. That's some gain and I doubt too many critters would stand up to that kind of hit.

Don

Offline jim62

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 12:32:28 PM »
While we are on the subject of the .500 S&W Handis here, can anyone tell me how heavy the barrel contour is on those guns?

Is the barrel contour the same as the 45-70s??

Thanks in advance to anyone who could tell me.. :-)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 04:33:19 PM »
I finally got the search to work, here's a previous thread with links and data....

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=463432&highlight=#463432

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2006, 04:49:00 PM »
And another....Anyone know what happened to CWLongshot????

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=468642&highlight=#468642

Offline rc51kid

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2006, 07:53:27 PM »
i saw a used one local to me in atlanta.  email me if you want me to go back and find out more like price and cond.
dana@aplace4us.com

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 02:35:25 AM »
What do you suppose the bolt thrust is on that puppy! Not to mention the pressure. Why would the Handi not be able to handle a Magnum cartridge do you suppose?
At 50,000 psi the thrust would be close to 9,800 lbs.  Who said the Handi can't handle magnum cartridges?  I would not say that it can, only that it hasn't been chambered in them from the factory.   One reason they are not so chambered may be the extractor issue with the belt.  A high-thrust cartridge with a nice big rim avoids lots of extraction issues.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006, 01:12:39 PM »
And another....Anyone know what happened to CWLongshot????

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=468642&highlight=#468642

Tim,
Thanks for the link. Some really good information on expected velocity boost. I did a bit more research and had come up with about a 120 FPS gain over the 10" barrel data, but the chronos don't lie. That should make one heck of a close range, under 200 yard, deer and bear rifle.
Don

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2006, 01:38:21 PM »
Just idle curiosity here...

Could bullets designed for the 50 BMG be used in the 500 S&W?

I haven't looked but I do know that there are lots of guys shooting the big 50 in single-shot rifles like the barrett, for long range targets(and whatever else you'd want to put a hole in).

Seems like there ought to be better bullets available for 50 cal. in a handi than those designed for use in a 10-inch handgun.

Maybe they'd be too stoutly constructed to expand at 500 S&W velocities but the ballsitic coefficients should be much better.

Then again, who really needs expansion when you're shooting 50 cal.?

Offline Gutshot

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2006, 01:47:49 PM »
I dont know what the bench rest shooters use for there bullets, but the BMG rounds I fired in the Army are I think 650 grn FMJ maybe 850. A little heavy for the 500S+W. I think hornady might have a polymer pionted bullet for it though.

AL

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2006, 02:36:59 PM »
.50BMG used .510" bullets, the .500S&W uses .501" bullets which are scarce in variety.

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=1&Categoryid=7590&categorystring=9315***652***675***9016***

Offline cheatermk3

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2006, 06:01:48 PM »
I see, though, that there are several rifle-type bullets available that are the correct diameter for the 500 S&W.

Offline Daniel Laws

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
500 S&W
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2006, 06:43:12 PM »
Bullets are available for this caliber from about 300 gr. up to 700+ gr. in cast lead.  Bullets listed for the 50 AE work well, as long as their OD is .501 in.  The only drawback is that all the reload data that I've found that I trust is for the quicker burning pistol powders.  Recoil is rather abrupt, and I don't believe that they take full advantage of the extra 12 in. of barrel like a slower magnum type powder will do.  Hopefully Hodgdon or one of the other powder manufacturers will get on board and give us some other info.  The S&W owners forum has some pretty thought provoking ideas on heavier bullets and rifle powders, but I'm not willing to try unsubstantiated loads in a rifle that there is no lab data published for.  Mistakes and miscalculations made in reloading are not my idea of a fun time.  I do know that a 400 gr. hardcast bullet over 35 gr. of H110 shoots well in my rifle.  Recoil is definitely there, but not unbearable.  It will definitely mess up a bobcat's world-I know from experience!  One inch entry hole, one inch exit hole=one very dead cat.

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2006, 09:40:11 AM »
Jim62

My Handi 500 S&W has a muzzle diameter of 0.885 inch.

My BC 45-70 has a muzzle diameter of 0.800 inch.
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2006, 01:32:27 PM »
Looking at Hodgdon's new 2006 Annual Manual's data for the .500 S+W,  Hornady's 500gr. SP bullet in particular, they are giving the top load of 33.0gr. of H110, 1482FPS from a 10" barrel. If I could get 1600-1700FPS from that load out of the 22" barreled Handi, I think that should be all the rifle I'll ever need for close work. I'll have to take a look at the Point blank load calculator to see what kind of energy and trajectory I can expect for that load, but I'm thinking it's probably a 200 yard round.
Don

Offline rockrat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2006, 03:53:38 PM »
I added a slip-on limbsaver to my gun, in addition to the factory pad.  I needed more length and it helps with the recoil, which is substancial.  Look at the Hodgdon website and get some loads for Lil Gun.  Seems to fill the case with heavy loads.  I recently worked up to 39.9gr of Lil Gun with the Remington 385, for 2111fps and a little over 3800ft-lbs.  I believe that the max load was 40.5, but I don't know if my shoulder can stand much more(shoulder surgery).  Have gotten the 335 Ranier over 2200 and pushing the Lee cast 440 close to 2000.  Working with Trail Boss and a 325 cast for a plinking load around 1200fps.  The sights are JUNK.  They kept coming loose.  Finally tightened the screws to the point of stripping them, but so far they ary holding.  Think I will try it on Oklahoma whitetail this year.   :shock:  That or my Ruger #1 in 50-70govt.
Its not that Life is too short, its that Death is too long!!

Offline jim62

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2006, 12:48:35 PM »
Interesting velocites you guys are getting with those .500s

Granpamike- thanks for the barrel diameter info-it is much apreciated