Author Topic: 35 Whelen AI  (Read 697 times)

Offline panhandle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • panhandlepr@vierizion.net
35 Whelen AI
« on: January 15, 2006, 11:26:24 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with this cartriage and have any loading date for it?  I would like to build a 35 cal. and have a long action Ruger 77 that could be rebarreled.

Thanks   Panhandlepr

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
35 Whelen AI
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 01:44:04 PM »
What your after is very close to the .35 Hawk. Try www.zhat.com You will ahve to be a little under what that data as the Hawk has a hair more capisity I would guess.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
35 Whelen AI
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 01:29:21 AM »
I have built quite a few rifles for people in this caliber. It works great from an accuracy standpoint and has great killing power, but isn't significantly more powerful than a regular 35 Whelen. There's just not that much more room in the case. What it does do is give much beter headspace control and far better accuracy than a factory chamber. Just use normal 35 Whelen load data, and work up carefully over what the books list, paying attention to what your rifle is telling you. If you get someone to set it up properly, you'll love it. Just make sure their reamer has a properly sized throat - unless they custom speced it the tool makers are making those throats huge for some reason, like .363" for the off the shelf Clymer reamer.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."