Author Topic: Hunting trips for the troops  (Read 732 times)

Offline OR-E-GUN Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Hunting trips for the troops
« on: January 19, 2006, 05:10:53 PM »
I asked this question on another forum and am getting good input, so I figured that I would ask you guys also.

What do you think of getting retailers/manufacturers and maybe a hunting related TV show to pony up for some trips for the troops in the service?  I am not talking about premium trophy hunts, just regular guided hunting trips.  Maybe antelope for one, hogs for another.... You get the idea.

Is the TV thing a good or bad idea?  Do you think there would be $$ support from retailers/mfr's?  Would guides give a price break for this (less cost means more hunts for the guests)?

Any input would be appreciated - I have almost no idea on how to start this, so if you have an idea SPEAK UP!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
When politics and negotiations fail, firepower and force prevail. :sniper:

Offline Daveinthebush

Well
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 06:06:10 PM »
Kevin:  Check out the Alaska forum: Iraqi Soldier and Bear Hunt of a Lifetime.

I have taken "Matt in AK" out a few years ago. Last summer I had two soldiers up: Todd Thorpe and Scott Nicholson.  They paid their airfare and everything else was covered by forum members here and at TradGang.com.  The cabin, food, license and transportation were all covered.  It was a BLAST.

If I live here and am able to do this, I see no reason why others can not extend the offer to soldiers in the lower 48.  In fact ButlerFord45 took Matt in AK and his boy out after he moved back east.

Matt in AK is returning to Alaska this spring for a black bear hunt.  And again, once he gets here there is nothing he will have to pay for.  I already have someone to help me with bait stands and one offer for assistance.

I don't know if any of the TV hosts would help.  I asked 3-4 for help in selecting a viedo camera and questions about filming and only one ever answered. That was Keith Warren.

It is doable to some degree.  BasPro has helped some people in the past and if you made an offer to someone in your area, you just might be able to get a local store behind you.

Daveinthebush,  and in four more months inthebushes hunting bears with Matt.
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline 379 Peterbilt

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 06:35:33 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again - that was one heck of a nice gesture dave. I wish the media would have picked up on it too. Could have spawned others to do the same thing as well, all the while showing something positive about the GIs getting to do something they enjoy.

OR-E-GUN Hunter,

Nice idear and good luck !!

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 08:56:20 PM »
Here in N. Cal one of the fishing forums has started taking service personnal fishing. Guys that have a boat with an empty seat or two have been takening service personnal, all they require is they have a fishing Lic. People say they have plenty of extra fishing gear, and a lot of them are even providing lunch/snacks. They have even extended the offer to the parents of sons/dau's in the service. They realize the pressure the parents are under also.

Gun Runner

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 12:40:57 AM »
Sounds like a outdoor version of the USO. I am all for it.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 07:35:28 PM »
My Grandson is a special ops Marine...at this moment he is stationed in central Iraq in the "Sunni Triangle".
   These days, he's doing plenty of hunting !
..And although he's very efficient at it...he doesn't enjoy it a great deal...

Looking forward to the time when he and I can go to the woods for squirrels again..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Daveinthebush

Ironglow
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 07:43:28 PM »
Ironglow:  Hi to a fellow New Yorker.  Yes I lived there from birth to 1999. I was born in Syracuse, lived in Jamesville and taught in Watertown till 99.

Sorry to hear that your son is over there.  It is not a "nice war."  Even though some of us may not support our current administrations policies, we ALL need to support our troops. I am a Vietnam vet.

I sincerely hope him the best and please let us know when he returns.  Our prayers are with him.  

My own son is coming up from Baldwinsville this year to hunt black bears.

Offline Daveinthebush

Ironglow
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 07:45:31 PM »
Ironglow:  Hi to a fellow New Yorker.  Yes I lived there from birth to 1999. I was born in Syracuse, lived in Jamesville and taught in Watertown till 99.

Sorry to hear that your son is over there.  It is not a "nice war."  Even though some of us may not support our current administrations policies, we ALL need to support our troops. I am a Vietnam vet.

I sincerely hope him the best and please let us know when he returns.  Our prayers are with him.  

My own son is coming up from Baldwinsville this year to hunt black bears.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 05:37:17 AM »
This is a great idea!  But why not also take it to a more personal level as well?  These hunting or fishing trips with our service men and women don't have to be with professional guides/outfitters.   Most of the folks on an outdoor forum such as this have access to hunting lands or own boats already, all we have to do is invite a soldure who is home on leave to share our next hunt or fishing trip with us.  I think most of us know of someone locally who is serving in our armed forces.  There are several that I know of threw my church who are serving.  I'm sure these outings wouldn't have to be alaborate or expensive to be apreciated by our service men and women.  If you are an outfitter or guide, are close friends with one, can take the time to drum up sponsorship for a guided trip or even afford to finance such a trip yourself that's great, by all means do so.  But even those of us who only have a few acres to hunt on or just a leaky old John boat and a favorite fishing hole could extend an invitation to someone who is putting there lives on the line for us.

I know this post was long winded but thanks for reading it and remember to keep our service mem and Women in your prayers.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline OR-E-GUN Hunter

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 03:39:19 PM »
OK - How about adapting this a little?  Taking Brett's idea and broadening it some - how about a forum so the guys on here can "volunteer" what they want to do (fishing or hunting) so our service members can just choose?  They would be responsible for all travel, licence, lodging, etc. but we could take them out ourselves.  That certianly would give the opportunity to make friendships AND say thanks.  Work it kinda like the "hunt swap" forum, you know.

Dave, I read the entire thread in the Alaska forum.  The only complaint I have is, now I want to come up there and hunt too!  What you did was awesome!!
When politics and negotiations fail, firepower and force prevail. :sniper:

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 01:53:43 AM »
To All,

You have a point of contact at Fort Stewart, GA. I don't know how ya'll would like to proceed? The 3rd Infantry Div has just redeploy from Iraq in Dec and Jan. In my Company I have acouple of bow hunters, rifle hunters and about 5 or six who would be interested in starting to hunt. My Company Commander for one. I have to cut this short for I have to get the kids to school and go to work. I will follow up.

Thanks Much!
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter