Author Topic: Anybody do vegetables...?  (Read 570 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Anybody do vegetables...?
« on: January 24, 2006, 12:52:42 PM »
I know it is a bit off topic, but I believe that a lot of hunters/shooters also like to "grow their own" vegetables.

How else can you do justice to a Brunswick stew ?...LOl

Here it is January in cold, snowy western NY..and I am pouring through seed catalogs...seems to shorten the winter that way.

I believe that for those that are interested in outdoors/nature, this is another welcome avenue to get closer to God and nature..

I grow many types of veggies..but I have to admit a special fondness for tomatoes..

Let's share some favorite varieties of veggies and methods/tools...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 01:13:57 PM »
When I first read your subject line I thought you meant Anybody shoot vegatables.   :)  Not that that would have effected my answer. :shock:

My house sits on two acres out in the country and I plant a garden oproximately 2,500 square feet.  Last year we had a couple of rows of corn, a couple of rows of string beans, eight assorted tomatoe plants,  several cucumber plants, three or four varieties of pepper plants, a few cantalope, a few pumpkins,  and some summer squash.   The viney things like the squash, cantalope and pumpkins take up a lot of room.  Unfortunately we had a spell of real dry hot weather while we were away on vacation right at the beginning of the season that toasted a lot of my garden.  Then we had too much rain for a long spell after I got back so my production was not good to say the least.  The one notable exception was the cucumbers, had them coming out of our ears.  Couldn't pick them fast enough and ended up using the overgrown ones for .22 target practice.  :grin:
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 01:57:40 PM »
Let's see here, a #3 tub in front of the backstop and below the target rest.
Well anyway you could get in some pratice and chop and dice the veggies for the soup or stew at the same time.
I can see George Forman now, with his new machine. :oops:  :twisted:  :roll:
At any rate all I grow is grass and weeds. no room fer a garden but i bet GB gets in on this one.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 02:54:09 PM »
I grow all of my vegetables in 3ftx12ftx12in. rased beds , 10 in all . Last year i grew 8 types of peppers , 12 types of tomatos , carrots , redbeets , radishes  and potatos . these i grow in a heavy sand soil . The only thing i do not grow is corn , just to eazy to buy .

I also have one bed that is all of my herbs for cooking .

I love to garden around the house and spend some time at the county children's garden . Its fun to watch the little ones rub the Lambs ear and some of the orinamtal grasses , they like the smells too .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 03:20:24 PM »
:D Ain't nothing better than home grown, and my home grown tomatoes get as big as a softball.  Truth of the matter tho, I could go to the farmers marker and get away cheaper. :wink:

Offline Brett

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 04:06:16 PM »
Quote from: rockbilly
:D  Truth of the matter tho, I could go to the farmers marker and get away cheaper. :wink:

I hear that.  Have you ever figured out what you've been paying for a pound of venison ?  :eek:  Or if you are an avid fisherman your cost per fish ?  :oops:

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 04:11:02 PM »
We have a forum specifically for this discussion. I suggest this be moved there and continued in the correct forum since we have one.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Brett

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 04:25:41 PM »
Well I'll be a monkeys uncle.  I didn't know we had a gardening forum on here.  Had to go hunting for it after GB was kind enough to tell us we had one.  Here's a link;  http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=163

Maybe the Moderator could just lock this thread but leave it so others like myself who don't often scroll down thru a dozen pages of forums will know it's there.  :lol:

By the way, I did mention using vegies for target practice so it kind of makes the thread apropriate.  :grin:

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 04:27:36 PM »
We got a little bit uv errything here at GBO don't ya know.  :)

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!