Author Topic: Contact - or no?  (Read 654 times)

Offline flash-in-the-pan

• Trade Count: (0)
Contact - or no?
« on: March 24, 2006, 04:30:44 PM »
How do you achieve consistency in casting?

Do you put the sprue-plate in contact with the pouring spout? Do you hold it off a distance? Do you actually hold it with the spout in the hole of the sprue-plate?

I learned to cast from a (really old) old-timer in the 60's, and he said,  "Keep your lead level as consistent in the pot as you can, each time it goes down a pound, add another pound, flux, put another ingot on the rim of the pot to pre-heat, and cast another pound.  Keeping the spout in the sprue-hole will insure more consistent output, due to the constant, and consistent, pressure of the lead in the pot."

I only cast bullets in weights from 90 gr (.380ACP) to 240 (44REMMAG), and it seems to work well for me.

What do others do?

Thanks,

Flash
Hath God obliged himself not to exceed the bounds of our knowledge?
Michel de Montaigne   1533-1592

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Contact - or no?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 11:08:54 PM »
I run two bottom pours and a ladle pot at the same time and feed the bottom pour with the ladle pot that way im never adding cold lead to what im casting with.
blue lives matter

Offline sundogg1911

Contact - or no?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 08:26:12 AM »
I run another pot also to keep the alloy up to temperature. I make sure to keep the mix the same in both pots (4 parts ww's 1 part lino 1 part 50 50 bar solder) that way i'm not changing the mix by adding a little at a time with my casting pot. seems to work well for me.  :wink:

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Contact - or no?
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 11:27:25 AM »
Flash are you SURE you want your e-mail addy as your user name?

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline flash-in-the-pan

Contact - or no?
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 05:48:44 PM »
Right. This is OT, but you ARE right. Note change, and THANKS

Flash
Hath God obliged himself not to exceed the bounds of our knowledge?
Michel de Montaigne   1533-1592

Offline LAH

• Contributor
Contact - or no?
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 07:36:42 AM »
flash-in-the-pan.........your way of doing things will make some of the best bullets that can be made. I used the same method for years using RCBS & Lyman two cavity moulds. It works great.

Once I started using 3 or 4 each four cavity moulds and 40 pounds pots I changed my ways. The pour spouts on the Magma Pots aren't set up for contact and besides when casting at a rate of 1000+ bullets per hour the moulds simply get too heavy to hold against a spout.

For the home caster your way has no faults....IMHO
Joshua 1:9

Offline LAH

• Contributor
Contact - or no?
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 07:39:42 AM »
flash-in-the-pan.........your way of doing things will make some of the best bullets that can be made. I used the same method for years using RCBS & Lyman two cavity moulds. It works great.

Once I started using 3 or 4 each four cavity moulds and 40 pounds pots I changed my ways. The pour spouts on the Magma Pots aren't set up for contact and besides when casting at a rate of 1000+ bullets per hour the moulds simply get too heavy to hold against a spout.

For the home caster your way has no faults....IMHO
Joshua 1:9