Author Topic: Topic drift that has nothing to do with Loading Cannon Cartridges  (Read 478 times)

Offline Leatherneck

• Trade Count: (0)
This is really interesting as I still load with paper cartridges meant for a musket. I havent been too sure if the paper holding the powder would burn away entirely so after pouring in the pre measured powder and ball I'd always used the paper as wadding.
I've also made simulated grape shot with .17 cal pellets. They wont be accurate if replicated down to scale exactly. I found that no wooden or cardboard divider is needed between the shot and powder. You only need to compress the shot against the powder. Works well on balloons out to 25yds.
I've also done exploding shell and tracer shot with some success.

Offline Soot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Re: Loading Cannon Cartridges
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 12:17:11 PM »
I think exploding shells may be hazardous to your freedom, should probably ask ATF.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 12:25:14 PM »
Delete

Offline Leatherneck

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 03:31:51 PM »
I think exploding shells may be hazardous to your freedom, should probably ask ATF.

It's a fire cracker that goes out to 50-75 yds with a pop.
Your basic fireworks rocket will do more damage and at twice the range. Incindiary rounds for rifle are sold w/o a license of any sort.
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/20rds-762x39-incendiary-tracer-ammo

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 04:29:19 PM »
ATFE does limit the amount of powder allowed in fireworks expelled from 37mm flare launchers this would most likely apply to those used in a muzzel loader

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 04:31:01 PM »
This is really interesting as I still load with paper cartridges meant for a musket. I havent been too sure if the paper holding the powder would burn away entirely so after pouring in the pre measured powder and ball I'd always used the paper as wadding.
I've also made simulated grape shot with .17 cal pellets. They wont be accurate if replicated down to scale exactly. I found that no wooden or cardboard divider is needed between the shot and powder. You only need to compress the shot against the powder. Works well on balloons out to 25yds.
I've also done exploding shell and tracer shot with some success.

The tinfoil serves two purposes.  To hold the powderand to keep a hot embers from prematurely igniting the powder.

The entire cartridge is load into the breech and the charge is prick so your source of ignition can access the powder.

It has been the policy of this forum in the past to not include exploding shells and tracers in this forum.  Although fircrackers cannon are encouraged.

Offline Leatherneck

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 05:03:58 PM »
I have been thinking of incorporation the priming prick into my loading process.
The tin foil idea makes sense. Altough I havent yet experienced embers that remain after firing. I felt that since the bore is of identical diameter to that of a musket/flintlock pistol there'd be no need to push the entire paper cartridge with ball down the bore.
If that was done, you'd have leftover embers. But so far I havent experienced embers. There is footage of re-enactors however doing timed speed loading (3-4/ rds per min) where the paper wadding from the previous shot lights off the powder of the 2nd blank round.
I suppose exploding shell would imply shrapnel. So far what I call exploding shell is nothing but an M80 firecracker stuffed in with the fuse facing the main charge.
Also what I call a tracer doesnt actually light on fire like the original Ottoman recipe tracer. It's a clump of light in the dark BBs.

Offline Leatherneck

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 05:09:42 PM »
ATFE does limit the amount of powder allowed in fireworks expelled from 37mm flare launchers this would most likely apply to those used in a muzzel loader

I know they draw the line at 40mm M203 Gren. Launcher but golfball and bowling ball launching mortars are OK...
Im offcourse referring to the barrels you can screw onto the end of an AR15 rifle and fire off with a blank round.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/Iron_Airship/golfballlauncher.jpg

Offline Double D

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 08:48:11 PM »
This discussion is getting way off topic ...there used to be a forum for grenade launchers.  Don't know if it it still around.  That is where this discussion belongs, not here.

This the cannon board, not the grenade launchers board.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 09:19:43 PM »
It's not that we don't like modern artillery or firearms, it's that this forum is about antique ones.  We are trying to limit content to things that the ATF doesn't regulate.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Leatherneck

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 02:47:58 PM »
I dont think you should be actively trying to suppress these things. On most firearms forums Ive been on, a simple reference or mention of something illegal didnt imply someone trying to machine it in his own shop.
I understand the re-enactors or historian's mindset which serves to give him a better understanding of history by totally immersing him in all topics that pertain only to his particular time period.
We all like to reference old battles or strategies and compare how they relate to the present.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 02:56:39 PM »
I don't think you should be actively trying to suppress these things.

The only thing we are trying to "suppress" is the discussion of post-1898 designs on this forum because our charter is for pre-1898 designs.  There is another forum on GBO that discusses more modern designs.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 04:32:19 PM »
I dont think you should be actively trying to suppress these things. On most firearms forums Ive been on, a simple reference or mention of something illegal didnt imply someone trying to machine it in his own shop.

Who said anything about illegal, it's just simply that this forum has a very narrow scope. We have worked very hard for over 10 years to keep that scope narrow.  A long time ago the discussion on grenade launchers was moved to its own specific forum. 

Pyrotechnics are also not part of the scope of this forum. 

This board is about making, shooting and the study of black powder mortars and cannon that meet the definition of antiques as spelled out in the forum rules found in the stickies at the top of this forum.
  It does not include post 1899 grenade launcher or pyrotechnics.

The discussion of grenade launchers and pyrotechnics is not suppressed, you are free to discuss them all you want in the proper forum and that is not here.

Offline Leatherneck

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 08:29:51 PM »
I dont know if this was ever brought up or shot down for any reason:
Pyrodex pellets

For semi fixed loading
and when glued, fully fixed ammunition.
http://www.shootingtimes.com/files/2011/06/33.jpg

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 12:11:46 AM »
 It's not "fixed ammunition" without an integral ignition device.  ;)
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 04:47:30 AM »
Pyrodex doesn't work well in cannons made with windage.

Offline Leatherneck

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 05:43:53 AM »
It's not "fixed ammunition" without an integral ignition device.  ;)

Are you talking about a self contained metallic cartridge with a primer?
Im going off of this.