Author Topic: Poro or roof prisim what;s the difference ?  (Read 727 times)

Offline Country Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Poro or roof prisim what;s the difference ?
« on: January 26, 2006, 02:07:23 PM »
I can't afford the high priced stuff, I wear glasses and usually glass from a permentant tree stand. I couldn't judge a buck last fall with some 8x40 Alpen's I've had the same problems with many others with glasses, without I can use the binoculars fine, but then I have to put them down and put my glasses on to shoot .
  Ok, Gave the Alpen's away. Been looking at Bushnells here is what I've narrowed it down to: all 10x42"s   Model H20, Power view, Buckhorn, or trophy. It says the trophy has a longer eye relief and roll
 up cups for eyeglass wearers.
   They ar all about the same price, Trophy model a little more. Which one do I buy ? or are there some alternatives you might suggest in the same price range.  Thanks.

Offline cgturner7

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 05:20:43 AM »
The difference between roof and porro binos is how the prisms inside are aligned.  Roof prism binos are the straight-tube style that is often used by the high end companies.  These rely on exact prism alignment, thus the higher price tag.  Porro design binos have the classic "H" look.  Porros offer a wider field of view but in a bulkier package.  However, a couple of the most highly prized binos are porros (Nikon Superiors, Swift Audubons).  Take a look at Swift.  They make excellent binos (and good rifle scopes, too) at a decent price.  They are highly touted by birders, who can be very picky about optics.  The Swifts compare to some of the VERY expensive brands out there.  My favorites are the Audubon 8.5x44 porros that I've owned for 10 years.  I prefer the porros designs for its wider field of view and, for me, it's easier to hold.  Swift also offers a roof design 8.5x44.  Both are now weather-proof, have eye cups that screw down and offer an excellent view.  Check them out, you won't be dissapointed.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 09:24:10 AM »
Couple other notes.  Porro prisms typically will give you a better 3-D image along with contrast.  But if you look at the Roof prisms that are phase coated this make the contrast as good as the Porro.  Roof prism binoculars are more compact than porro binoculars.  Plus the cost in manufacturering a pair of roof prisms are more than porro due to having the prisms in a correct alignment, the price of the roof prisms are higher.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline NimrodRx

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 02:01:17 PM »
My buddy and I updated our bins a while back.  After extensive research we decided on the following.

He picked up a pair of Nikon Action Extremes 8X42.  For the money, I don't think you could do better in a porro.  I believe he spent around $160.

I went with the Pentax DCF SP 8X43.  I believe them to be the best bang for the buck in the roof prism class.  They aren't Swaros or Zeiss, but at less than half the price - my eyes will never know the difference.  I got them for $445 OTD.  

IMHO, if you can afford to step up to a good roof prism, it is worth it.  They're smaller, lighter, and more durable.  The down side is that you'll have to spend nearly twice as much as you would on compirable porro glass.  Good luck.
"Make mine a double. Whether I'm ordering drinks or shotguns, it's always served me well!"  :toast:  :toast:

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well."  T. Roosevelt

Offline NimrodRx

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 02:20:28 PM »
Just to be clear, when I said you couldn't do better than the Action Extreme in a porro, I meant for the price.  Obviously there are some awesome porros out there for more money.
"Make mine a double. Whether I'm ordering drinks or shotguns, it's always served me well!"  :toast:  :toast:

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well."  T. Roosevelt

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 06:30:09 AM »
:grin: I have some nice porros'. Last fall went looking for something lighter in weight as I like to crawl up and down mountains. I wear eye glasses as you. Ended up with the Pentax 8X36 DCF HS Phase coated roof prisms. Wow, never realized something so light could be so bright and easy to use.
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline one eye joe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 03:56:48 PM »
I second the motion that you check out Swift Audubon series. I have had a pair for almost 20 years and love them. My dad has a pair of Leupold Gold ring binocs, and the Swift optics are clearer and sharper. My brother has Zeiss, and the Swift stands up very well against the much higher priced German optics. As stated, birder's are very picky about their glass and they highly regard the Audubon series. Give them a look.

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 10:05:20 AM »
Who sells them ? and where can I look at them. I can't find anything.

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 04:20:08 AM »
First, my opinion on the Bushnells you are considering...all crap!

Second, You should reevaluate whether you really need a 10x glass.  Unless you hunt a lot in open country an 8x is all you really need in the 40-44mm objective glass.  Especially if low light performance is important to you.  8x will generally provide better eye relief for eyeglass wearers than 10x.

Third, If you only have about $100 to spend you obviously are limited to porro prism binoculars to get the best view at that price point.  One of the best porro prism binoculars for around $100 is the Bushnell Legend 8x42mm.  However, you might be better off saving up another fifty or sixty dollars to get a better porro prism binoculars.  Audubon Raptor, Wind River Mesa, Minolta Activa WP FP, Nikon Action Extreme, Pentax PCF WP, and Swift ZWCF Plover are servicable porro prism binoculars.  The Swifts are the only ones not waterproofed.  To get a Swift porro that is waterproof you have to spend $250.  Swift Audubon 8.5x44mm porro prism binoculars are very good as stated, but cost $300.  If you can go that high they are a good value.  Check out Eagle Optics, Adorama or B&H Photo.  Digital Foto and Binoculars.com have them even cheaper.

Fourth, If you like a roof prism binoculars, it must be phase-corrected!  There are many adequate phase-corrected roof prism binoculars coming out of China right now for $160-$250.  However, even in this price range the upper end is a noticable improvement over the bottom.

Finally, If you really want a good roof prism binoculars that will provide a lifetime of quality service you will have pay to get it.  The Nikon ATB Monarch, Bushnell Legend, Audubon Equinox HP, Celestron Noble and perhaps the new phase-corrected Wind River Cascades are the least expensive roof prism binoculars that should be considered for serious hunting.  The midrange Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class, Celestron Regal LX and Wind River Pinnacles are a definite step up at just under $400.  Probably the best value for price/performance are the Pentax DCF SP.  They don't give up very much to the best roof prism binoculars made.  You can get the 8x43mm for about $410 and the 10x43mm for about $440.

http://www.binoculars101.com/bin-choose-hunting.html
http://www.binoculars101.com/
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline NimrodRx

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 02:09:15 PM »
nice to see some discussion regarding bins.  too often we see "optics" and think rifle scopes.  

as esox said, imho, it is worth scrounging another $50 to throw with the purchase and step up to the action extreme.  they're a great value and a solid bin.  i'm FAR from an expert, but as i said, my buddy and i really did our homework when we upgraded our bins.  

in the affordable high quaility porro class, i just don't see you beating the action extremes.  if you want the best set of roofs you can get without breaking the bank, the dcf sps are a great value.  

good luck.  remember, you can't kill what you can't see.