Author Topic: steiner 12x40 predator binos  (Read 470 times)

Offline spispeza

• Trade Count: (0)
steiner 12x40 predator binos
« on: February 07, 2006, 11:25:35 AM »
would like to get these binos.ive never cared for the auto focus  on lessser  binos.i wear eye glasses.would these be ok with glasses?you r feed back/experience with these is welcome.thanks

Offline VTDW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 12:18:20 PM »
What are you going to be using them for.  12X is mighty powerful for holding by hand.  Most folks cannot hold more than 8X steady enough for glassing game.

Dave 8)
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/

Offline spispeza

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 01:13:40 PM »
will be using them  for mule,whitetail deer ,antelope hunting.to judge the head gear.looking the country over to find the critters.dont have a lot to spend for this coming fall season.steiner is a better brand from what i know.other choice is leopold wind river mesa 10x50 binos.do have a burris land mark spotting scope15x to45x-60mm.but its kinda bulky to carry for a long distance.thanks

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 08:14:42 AM »
You'ld be better off going with Pentax DCF SPs, either in 10x43mm ($440) or 10x50 ($500).  You can spend $1000 more and get a little better.  I believe Steiners are overpriced for what you get, but those are in closeout for about $270 which makes them worth considering.  They have plenty of eye relief for eyeglass wearers but aren't going to be as good in low light than a lot of 10x50s.  

Have you considered a roof prism binoculars?  Roof prisms are less bulky than porros.

If you are looking for 10x50mm roof prism binoculars under $300 I would look at the Celestron Noble (newer phase corrected model) which come with a lifetime no-fault warranty. Check them out at EagleOptics.com  Otherwise you are kind of limited to porro prisms.  For 10x50s the Wind River Mesas, Bushnell Legends and Nikon Action Extremes come to mind.

If you can spend up to $400 Wind River Olympics 10x50mm would be available.
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline conrad101st

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 08:46:28 AM »
I have the 8x30 predators.  I love them.  8 is plenty of power and gives a wider field of view. The non focus feature is great when you are in the deep woods.  I wear glasses and they have plenty of eye relief with the cups rolled back.  I also keep them rolled back when I wear contacts. :D