Author Topic: Winchester model 1886  (Read 964 times)

Offline white feather

• Trade Count: (0)
Winchester model 1886
« on: December 13, 2005, 02:02:01 PM »
Im in the market for a 1886 Winchester rifle, been doing some looking at different gun sights to try to get the low down on it.

I have heard then called Japchesters, told to get a 45/90 not a 45/70, told there a pain because of the rebounding hammer not hitting the primer hard enough, lots of draw backs, i cant afford an original so it will be one of the reproductions from CDNN.

What im looking is good reliable info not a bunch of hipe from people who eather dont have one or never even seen one, let alone shot one, if you catch my drift, it seems lots of people are jumping on the band wagon when they cant even read music, any info would be very much appreciated, WF.

Offline CowboyEngr

1886 win
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 10:57:42 AM »
I traded for one of the extra lights or ultra lights (whichever) about a year ago.  Not harvested any game with it yet.  I've read a bunch of stuff about the rebounding hammer too, but mine seems to work just fine.  No misfires at all.  I'm not a fan of lever action safeties, but at least this one is on the tang and not the butt-ugly receiver crossbolt.

In general, mine is beautiful.  Good metal work, good wood finish and fit.  Seems to be plenty accurate for the cartridge and iron sights.  I have shot some rather heavy loads and it seems to digest them without a hitch.

Considering it was well under a $1000, and an original in really good shape is well over that, I have no complaints.  In fact, I'm even proud of it.

Bob

Offline white feather

Winchester model 1886
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 01:18:33 PM »
Bob

Thanks for your reply, this is the kind of info i have been looking for, if you dont mind me picking your brain a little, how is the recoil with the ultra light rifle, and do you shoot any cast bullets in it, you said you shot some pretty heavy loads in yours, were they reloads or factory loads.

I have one spotted but it has a 26 inch barrel and weighs 9.5 lbs.think this would be kinda heavy toating around in the mountains hunting Elk, after you loaded it up with ammo, thanks again for your input.

Offline CowboyEngr

Winchester model 1886
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 06:49:24 AM »
Whitefeather,
     I have tried to write back and answer your questions several times, but I keep getting logged off.  I guess I write too slow.  If you will give me your direct e-mail, I will write directly to you.
     Short version:
          Yes, I have shot cast bullets and they work good.  360 gr. gas checked loaded to approx. 1950 fps.
          Recoil is stout, but not abusive.  I really don't much care to be kicked too hard, so it's really not bad.
          Function on my UL version has been flawless.
          The Marlin 95's are great rifles, but this Winchester is a cut above them. IMHO.
          I think the Winchester 86 remakes are a good value.

Bob
carleb@rectec.net

Offline CowboyEngr

45-70 vs 45-90
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 07:35:19 AM »
In regard to 45/70 vs 45/90, I think any real advantage the 45/90 had was when it was black powder only.  With smokeless, I don't think the 45/90 has any real advantage.  Many suitable smokeless powders for the 45/70 don't entirely fill the case anyway.

Offline white feather

Winchester model 1886
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 08:25:56 AM »
Bob

Thanks for your reply, and i have been having problems loging on, have to get a new password everytime then change it back to what it was before, don't know what the deal is, i think your right about the 45/90, only way to get the most would be with black powder, i think the barrel says Black Powder Only, i would love to shoot cast bullets in mine when i get it, not sure what bullet to try first, or powder, your help would be most appreciated on this matter, my e/mail is whitefeather1951@yahoo.com if you keep having problems here, hope you have a wonderful and joyous Christmas out your way, take care, WF.

Offline Barbarossa

Hi
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 03:22:09 PM »
Hi

The best replicas of the winchester 86 are the Browning repros.The have
no safeties with the exception of the true half cock and also do not have the rebounding firing pin.Though no longer made they come up all the time for sale and the Hi grades are found more than not new in box.I owned one of their 86 rifles with a 26inch oct barrel and it was a great gun with the exception that it was a bit to carry around all day hunting.I currently own one of their hi grade carbines in 45/70 and love it.The weight is perfect and the the gun comes to the shoulder easily.This one is a keeper though I m going to switch the stocks for the standard plain version.As for the 45/90 it depends on whether you like to handload or not.I think that with the new lever revolution cartridges now available the 45/70 blows the 45/90 out of the water smokeless loads or not and they come with the convience of picking them up right off the shelf.

Jeff

Offline white feather

Winchester model 1886
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 12:35:21 PM »
Jeff

Thanks for your input, im thinking of getting a light weight, i found one with a 26 inch barrel and i just think its to heavy to lug around all day, but was worried about the recoil untill i read the posts on here, now i just have to find one, thanks for all the info its really appreciated, WF.

Offline white feather

Winchester model 1886
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 12:38:12 PM »
Haveing all sorts of problems posting on here for some reason, sorry it took me so long to reply.

Offline jakes10mm

• Avid Poster
Win 1886 Extra Light
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 05:03:06 PM »
I carried an 1886 Extra Light last year for deer season.  Unfortunately, didn't get my doe tags in time and only had doe present themselves.

Rearding the rifle, I have probably launched around 200 rounds through it and never had a misfire.  Now, I often "missed" what I was firing at, but that was the flinching idiot pulling the trigger.  I load 405gr Hardcast over Accurate 5744.  They give a good push, but as long as your positioned to roll with it.  

My only concern is the rear sight dovetail.  I replaced the buckhorn rear sight with a Lyman 66Wb receiver sight.  Bought a "standard" 3/8" dovetail blank and it slides right through the old rear sight dovetail.  Still scratching my head on what size dovetail blank I need.

Offline jakes10mm

• Avid Poster
Win 1886 Extra Light
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 05:21:16 PM »
I carried an 1886 Extra Light last year for deer season.  Unfortunately, didn't get my doe tags in time and only had doe present themselves.

Rearding the rifle, I have probably launched around 200 rounds through it and never had a misfire.  Now, I often "missed" what I was firing at, but that was the flinching idiot pulling the trigger.  I load 405gr Hardcast over Accurate 5744.  They give a good push, but as long as your positioned to roll with it.  

My only concern is the rear sight dovetail.  I replaced the buckhorn rear sight with a Lyman 66Wb receiver sight.  Bought a "standard" 3/8" dovetail blank and it slides right through the old rear sight dovetail.  Still scratching my head on what size dovetail blank I need.

Offline jakes10mm

• Avid Poster
Win 1886 Extra Light
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 05:42:43 PM »

Offline paulm60

Winchester model 1886
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 08:51:42 PM »
white feather,

I ordered my 1886 Browning rifle back in 1986, and got the brand-new beauty in '87 - I still love it!  Its a little heavy for long walks, but helps tame recoil and steadies nicely when I'm shooting offhand.

I've shot a lot of game w/it and come to a few conclusions:
- 400 gr. slugs do a great job of penetrating - in fact, I used to push them around 1900 and never recovered one.  Now I've slowed down to black powder velocity to reduce the recoil some, and am still driving the slugs clean through moose shoulders.  With cast bullets, penetration and expansion are everything I want, and they're a little easier on the barrel.  I got a bull last season that I shot in the face; I found the slug about a foot back in his neck - it went in and out his skull, through three vertebrae and was resting in the muscle above his windpipe - about 21 inches.  It still weighed 347 grains and was the first one I've ever recovered.
- A peep sight makes it a lot more accurate than those lousy buckhorns, and peeps are pretty quick in dark woods.  I've got a tang sight on this '86 so I can goof around w/long range shooting competition occasionally, but I've also got a receiver peep on my Browning model 71 carbine and its accurate and even faster.
- I've had misfires w/my '86, but not my 71.  Each time I looked at a misfired primer, I found that it was lightly dented.  I think every time I've had a misfire (10, maybe) it happened when it was pretty cold out (Washington, Idaho and now Alaska).  I check each time to see if the primer might not have been fully seated, but each seemed to be.  A second hit and they each fired.  Those were all w/CCI primers; I've been using Winchesters since then (last 10 years) and haven't had a problem w/them.  Someday I'm going to try replacing the firing pin w/an original '86 pin and spring.  However, I just read someone saying that the early Brownings don't have rebounding pins . . . I'll have to re-read what that owner's manual said, and then disassemble the bolt for a final determination.
- This rifle prefers Swiss 1 1/2 black powder over all other powders; MP5744 is it's favorite smokeless.  With black I have to use a bullet w/large grease grooves to hold plenty of SPG; w/smokeless that Lee 400 grain hollowpoint is a killer!  I cast all the bullets real soft.
- I've never found much bloodshot meat around the wounds, even though they can be pretty big holes on the exiting side.  I thumped a bear in the chest once that went through the sternum and spine, making a 2 or 3 inch hole coming out, yet the hide's hole wasn't much more that an inch.

So my rifle has been everything I hoped for and I love it more than all my other 30-something guns.  That new extra-light weight carbine looks interesting - on the plus side: its short, shotgun butt, light, etc., negative side: those damnable safeties, plain wood, kick, etc.  Or you can get a rifle.  Either way, I think you're going to love it!  Update us when you start shooting one, and when you start taking meat w/it.

Good luck,

Paul