Author Topic: Mounting Burris Signature double dovetail rings??  (Read 387 times)

Offline hunt127588

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Mounting Burris Signature double dovetail rings??
« on: February 02, 2006, 02:39:06 AM »
I mounted a set of Burris dual dovetail rings on a Stevens 200 a few days ago. These are the rings with the polymer inserts that prevent ring marks on your scope.

With that said, I have always aligned my dual dovetails with Wheeler Engineering alignment bars (and lapped rings where applicable). With that said, I did not align (nor lap) these rings due to the polymer insert. However, when I got to the range, I was about 16" left of my target at 50 yds.

My questions are this...

1) Should I have tried to align these rings with the alignment bars just like other rings that don't have the polymer inserts?

2) My concern is that with this much correction on windage on my Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40, will I have worse visibility through the scope since I'm not looking through the "optical center"?

Thanks for any info...

Offline conrad101st

Mounting Burris Signature double dovetail r
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 10:43:28 AM »
I use them on several setups and always try to align as close as possible just because I like things to be proper.  However, I see no reason to believe that 16 inches of correction is going to have any impact on the scope being centered for viewing.

I have a Leupold Mark 4 on a 50 BMG which I crank up and down depending on the range and the scope always appears "Optically Centered".

Offline june6th1944

Mounting Burris Signature double dovetail r
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 03:33:31 PM »
Sixteen inches is too much.  You should not be adjusting a scope that much--unless it wasn't centered to begin with.  You can do it, but you shouldn't have to unless something is wrong or you are intentionally trying to move it sixteen inches.  A scope that is adjusted sixteen inches in a particular direction is not optically centered.

Things to consider:
1.  Did the scope fit in the rings correctly when you laid it in the first time after installing the rings?
2. Those rings are 1 1/8" wide to accomodate the inserts, so you'll have to align w/ the inserts in place, unless you use a 1 1/8 dowel rod.
3. Check to make sure the scope adjustments are centered.  Crank the windage and elevation all the way to one end or the other, then start moving it the other direction and count the number of clicks.  Divide that by two, adjust back that number of clicks and you are in the center.  Fire a new grouping.
4.  The Burris adjustment knobs have a collar on them that you can use to mark a point, so use that for the half-way point to get started.
5.  Call Burris, they're very helpful.

I installed DD rings and Signature inserts on a Rem. ADL .30-06 last summer.    Boresighted at 25 yards, visually, and shot 2" high and 1" left on the first group at 100 yards.  You should have similar adjustments, if it's over 5" then you need to look at the setup again.  The inserts allow you to make large increment adjustments before having to touch the adjustments on the scope.  The larger increment adjustments are typically used in lieu of shimming a traditional ring/base setup for long-range shooting applications though, that way you are pressuring the adjustment mechanism and you're looking down the center of the lenses.

Good luck.