Author Topic: .41 mag load suggestions?  (Read 1606 times)

Offline mag41vance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
.41 mag load suggestions?
« on: August 24, 2004, 02:53:37 PM »
The .41 Mag Redhawk is a fine Revolver, but I'm having a difficult time getting a good accurate load. My bullet of choice is the 210gr XTP, and I've had fair results with w-296, H110, and wc820 (#9 clone). It just isn't the consistent accuracy I'm looking for.
 I've tried CCI 300, and 350 primers.
 Does anyone have any tried and true loads for this caliber.
 My rig is;
 .41 Redhawk SS 7-1/2" barrel with a Swift 4x scope.
 I can get 1.75" at 50 yds but not consistently.
   Help please,
        vANCe
no x now!

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 05:28:32 PM »
My 41 Mag Contender was shooting nice 1" groups at 50 yards with 210 gr XTP, IMR 4227 and a CCI Mag Primer.  I just bought 1000 new primers and decided to switch to the CCI standards since most data does not use the Magnums.  My groups went to pot (4-5" groups at 50 yards) unless I was just having two very bad days of shooting last weekend.  I will test more this weekend, I hope it was just me because I loaded up 200 rounds with the standard primers.

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 12:12:59 AM »
Quote from: Bullseye
My 41 Mag Contender was shooting nice 1" groups at 50 yards with 210 gr XTP, IMR 4227 and a CCI Mag Primer.  I just bought 1000 new primers and decided to switch to the CCI standards since most data does not use the Magnums.  My groups went to pot (4-5" groups at 50 yards) unless I was just having two very bad days of shooting last weekend.  I will test more this weekend, I hope it was just me because I loaded up 200 rounds with the standard primers.

I have found that most load data is not as helpful with regards to primer selection, with one exception; the much frowned on Speer Manuals. They denote primer selection with an asterisk for different powders.

Most other Manuals give one suggestion for the caliber.
no x now!

Offline Bullseye

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 07:33:33 AM »
The Speer manual was why I changed.  They showed the magnum primer for years with IMR 4227 but their latest manual shows to use a standard primer with that powder.  I think I will be switching back because I know I could not have two days in a row of shooting that bad. :eek:

Offline Larry Gibson

Re: .41 mag load suggestions?
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 10:43:07 AM »
mag41vance

You don't say what the load is of H110 your using with the 210XP.  Most manuals list the max loads for use in S&Ws.  Over the years I've found there is a difference in what gets sticky extraction in Smiths to what ejects smoothly from Rugers (BHs and RHs).  Most M57/58s I've worked with over the years have maxed out at 20 to 20.5 gr H110 with 210 gr bullets.  Accuracy was ok but not what it should have been and the extreme in fps was excessive.  I knew from working up loads with Rugers that the Smith H110 loads were not max but uping the charge, while improving accuracy, caused very sticky extraction.  When the RH .41 came out I assumed they would have the same problem as the Smiths but the ones I've shot do not, they take the same load as I use in BHs.  

I use 23 gr H110 in R-P cases with WLP primers.  That is close to a max load so work up.  In my 7.5" BH it runs 1446 fps with an ES under 50 fps for 6 shots.  Accuracy is excellent (shoots quite well in all BH/RHs I have shot it in) and I have never had any hint of pressure problems.  With either the XTP or the Remington 210 SP it is very decisive on deer/bear/elk.

Larry Gibson

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 01:12:09 PM »
Quote from: LMG
mag41vance

You don't say what the load is of H110 your using with the 210XP.  Most manuals list the max loads for use in S&Ws.  Over the years I've found there is a difference in what gets sticky extraction in Smiths to what ejects smoothly from Rugers (BHs and RHs).  Most M57/58s I've worked with over the years have maxed out at 20 to 20.5 gr H110 with 210 gr bullets.  Accuracy was ok but not what it should have been and the extreme in fps was excessive.  I knew from working up loads with Rugers that the Smith H110 loads were not max but uping the charge, while improving accuracy, caused very sticky extraction.  When the RH .41 came out I assumed they would have the same problem as the Smiths but the ones I've shot do not, they take the same load as I use in BHs.  

I use 23 gr H110 in R-P cases with WLP primers.  That is close to a max load so work up.  In my 7.5" BH it runs 1446 fps with an ES under 50 fps for 6 shots.  Accuracy is excellent (shoots quite well in all BH/RHs I have shot it in) and I have never had any hint of pressure problems.  With either the XTP or the Remington 210 SP it is very decisive on deer/bear/elk.

Larry Gibson

20 gr H110, and 20.5 of the W296. I also shoot a 41 mag lever action.
I have a custom reload that came with the purchase of my Redhawk that shoots excellent groups in the RH as well as the Marlin. The contents of the case is 20 gr of something (veryfine powder almost looks like dust) with a 210gr jhp that I believe is a nosler bullet. The powder and primer is a mystery.
  vANCe
no x now!

Offline Gunner

41 Redhawk
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 03:49:59 PM »
I use 21 grs of H110 behind a Remington 200 JHP or 16 grs IMR 4227 behind a Leadhead 270 gr lead gascheck, both will shoot better than I can.
I pretty use 21 grs of H110 with any 200-210 gr bullet. Always works in any of my 41's

Gunner
Leader of the 41 Cult

Offline Bullseye

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 05:27:26 PM »
Gunner

What primer are you using with that IMR 4227 load?

Thanks.

Offline Gunner

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 05:43:02 PM »
Sorry, I used Federal Mag primer in that load.

Gunner

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 11:09:14 AM »
FYI,  This is a list of current primers:
Primers
CCI
400 Small Rifle
450 Small Rifle Magnum
BR4 Small Rifle BR
200 Large Rifle
250 Large Rifle Magnum
BR2 Large Rifle BR
500 small pistol
550 small pistol Magnum
300 large pistol
350 Large pistol Magnum
Winchester
1-1/2  Small pistol
1-1/2M Small Pistol magnum
6-1/2 Small rifle
7  Large pistol
8-1/2 Large rifle
8-1/2 M Large rifle Magnum
Federal
100 Small pistol
150 Large pistol
155 Large pistol Magnum
200 Small pistol Magnum
205 Small rifle
210 Large rifle
215 Large rifle magnum
Remington
 1-1/2 Small pistol
 2-1/2 Large pistol
 5-1/2 Small pistol magnum
 6-1/2 Small rifle
 7-1/2 Small rifle BR
 9-1/2 Large rifle
 9-1/2M Large rifle magnum
no x now!

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 12:14:36 PM »
mag41vance

"20 gr H110, and 20.5 of the W296. I also shoot a 41 mag lever action.
I have a custom reload that came with the purchase of my Redhawk that shoots excellent groups in the RH as well as the Marlin. The contents of the case is 20 gr of something (veryfine powder almost looks like dust) with a 210gr jhp that I believe is a nosler bullet. The powder and primer is a mystery.
  vANCe[/quote]"

As I thought you are at the top end of the listed "max" loads in most manuals.  As I said, they may be max for Smiths but are not for Rugers.  If you are not having any pressure signs I suggest you work up to 23 or 23.5 gr of H110 with the XTP bullet.  It works for me.  Assuming the rifle is a Marlin I've only one experience with that load in a Marlin; a friend has one and shot up about 3/4s of a box of my loads through it.  They shot extremely well.  I offered to buy the rifle but he counter offered for me to just reload more for him to shoot - some friend!  If I remember right they were going over 2,000 FPS out of the Ruger.

Larry Gibson

Offline Jim S

good 41 load , at least for me.
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 12:51:58 PM »
I have an 8 3/8's mod 657  and a 5" redhawk and both shoot the following  loads very accurately. 22.0/296/Speer 200 JHP CCI mag primer. I have also had good luck with 22.8/H110/210XTP CCI mag primer. Note this load is warm but I noticed you are shooting it in a 41 Red hawk so it should be fine. By the way you 41 Mag Red Hawk with the barrel mounted scope is not a common gun , hang on to it! That is unless you want to retire it to the south and I'll give it a good home :-) .

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 02:32:28 PM »
Quote from: LMG

As I thought you are at the top end of the listed "max" loads in most manuals.  As I said, they may be max for Smiths but are not for Rugers.  If you are not having any pressure signs I suggest you work up to 23 or 23.5 gr of H110 with the XTP bullet.  It works for me.  Assuming the rifle is a Marlin I've only one experience with that load in a Marlin; a friend has one and shot up about 3/4s of a box of my loads through it.  They shot extremely well.  I offered to buy the rifle but he counter offered for me to just reload more for him to shoot - some friend!  If I remember right they were going over 2,000 FPS out of the Ruger.

Larry Gibson

Larry,
  Thanks for the info. I've never been an advocate of pushing the limits of loads, but my cases look as if they could eat a little more powder without too much trouble. I'll wait for cooler weather to test near max loads, and keep you posted.
     Thanks again,
                vANCe
no x now!

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
Re: good 41 load , at least for me.
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 02:36:03 PM »
Quote from: Jim S
I have an 8 3/8's mod 657  and a 5" redhawk and both shoot the following  loads very accurately. 22.0/296/Speer 200 JHP CCI mag primer. I have also had good luck with 22.8/H110/210XTP CCI mag primer. Note this load is warm but I noticed you are shooting it in a 41 Red hawk so it should be fine. By the way you 41 Mag Red Hawk with the barrel mounted scope is not a common gun , hang on to it! That is unless you want to retire it to the south and I'll give it a good home :-) .

Yea the integral scope rings on the redhawk is one of the reasons I bought it. Another reason is that it was a .41, the other reason was, it was for sale.
  Love that caliber!
 vANCe
no x now!

Offline oso45-70

handgun general discussuon
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2004, 04:16:20 PM »
Gentlemen,
I have cut my loads in all of my 41s to 19.5 grs. H110 with standard primers to get the best accuracy out of all of them. I know i left some
bullet speed on the table but for all around shooting this is working for me.
Never have sticky cases and the load is pleasant to shoot. Stay safe.
...........Joe.........
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline Raging480

• Avid Poster
41 mag
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2004, 02:02:29 AM »
This may not be as relavant, but I wanted to chime in.  I also like to load the Hornady 210 XTP over W-296 with a CCI mag primer.  I use 21.5g of powder.  The gun is a .41 magnum Desert Eagle.  I have shot a 1.5" five shot group at 25 yards. (JPoint optic used)
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

Offline mparks

• Mick's outdoor page
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2004, 04:04:48 AM »
Anybody have experience with the .41 Mag and Hornady 210 XTP w/Lil' Gun?  I'm shooting a Redhawk.  Looking for accuracy more than max velocity.  Thanks.

Offline Somerled

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2004, 07:15:41 AM »
mag41vance:

H110, 2400 or Winchester 296 and 210-grain JHPs touched off with mag primers have worked well for me in several revolvers. Make sure you eliminate other variables such as case brands, case lots, case length and bullet seating depths. Once I loaded a bunch of .44s using a proven formula. I went to the range and had stringing problems. I checked the loads and noticed the bullet seating wasn't consistent. The seating die stem was shifting around, and I hadn't noticed.

A big problem with magnum revolver cartridges is a variance in case length. There is no way to get a consistent crimp. Keep them cases trimmed and sorted.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
President Theodore Roosevelt, San Francisco, Calif., May 13, 1903

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2004, 10:59:23 AM »
You might consider fire lapping your bore.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2004, 07:55:47 AM »
Vance, I had the same gun years ago (wish I had it back  :oops: ) and when I got it, the bore was rough as a cob.  It still shot reasonably well with JHP stuff, but tore the cast bullets up pretty bad for awhile.  Then after about 3000 jacketed slugs, it smoothed out, and shot everything well.  Being young and stupid, I thought all guns could shoot 3/4" at 25 yards, as long as you could hold it well enough.  Boy, was I naive!

For awhile, I experimented with seating cast bullets farther out, given the length of the Redhawk's cylinder.  I shot bullets up to 295 grains, and while the accuracy wasn't noticeably better, it wasn't much worse either.  I think my favorite powder was 2400, but I also got good results with 800-X, a powder most folks never try.  It's a flake powder, but very bulky and gives good load density in magnum pistol rounds.  I'm thinking of trying some in my Marlin 44 Mag!

I know it's tempting to try to find one load that all your 41's like, but it can take years, or it may not be possible.  Just accept that some guns are finicky, and feed each accordingly.  Enjoy those 41's, I sure wish I had mine back! :(

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline RJM

.41 Loads...
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2004, 03:51:19 PM »
I have several .41s from Ruger, S&W, Marlin, TC and Freedom Arms. Have standardized on the following loads to keep reloading simple:

Any 200-220 grain jacketed or cast bullet: 23 gr. H110/ WW case/WWLP primer.

170 gr. Sierra JHC/ 26.0 H110/WW case/WWLP primer

250-265 grain hard cast/22 gr. H110/WW case/WWLP primer.

With H110/WW296 powder I have had no problems with flattened primers or sticky extraction in the S&W revolvers compared to the others. With any other powder the S&Ws start cases sticking well before the Rugers or FAs guns.

Vance....what exactly is not consistant. Is it sting to string or is it day to day or batch to batch.... I know that above loads work well in all my guns. If a gun is off one day and on the next I know it is me who has the consistancy problem not the gun/load....Bob

Offline oliverstacy

• Avid Poster
My 41 Mag. Load
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2004, 07:57:28 AM »
My best load to date:

Win. Case
Win. 296 Powder @ 20 gr.
210 gr XTP
CCI-350
1.585 OAL

Load was for my Blackhawk 6-1/2".  Great load, accurate and performed great.  Only one round shot at game...doe @ 15 yards bit the dust in '99.  She went 40 yards and piled up on the run.  Went though both lungs and did a bunch of damage.  I use it when there is still standing corn and the pressure is on.  Great close quarters gun for that application.

Josh
My wife once made the mistake of telling me "all of your guns look alike"...No, I've had this gun for a long time! LOL