Author Topic: What do you guys think of your .357 handi?  (Read 881 times)

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
What do you guys think of your .357 handi?
« on: January 30, 2006, 04:43:19 AM »
Who out there has this caliber? Do you like it? Decent accuracy at 100yds? I have fallen in love with my .223 but want something of a brush gun for deer and looking to keep light recoil so my wife can use it. She won't even shoot 30-30.  

Any other ideas?

And it has to be a factory load.  I am not interested in loading.

Thanks

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 05:38:20 AM »
I don't think I've ever shot a factory load in my .357 Mag barrel, so that's pretty hard for me to address.  I suppose a decent group can be shot with factory loads if you look hard enough.

I didn't accept 2" groups with my handloads and have them down to close to 1" at 100 yards now.

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Like 357 Maxie
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 06:46:41 AM »
I enjoy My 357 mag. But bored to 357 Maxmum, I think it
 improved accercery  fror mag and 38 spl loads.
 I have never fired factory loads in it. Get 1 1/2 in groups.
 I thinl it is a great rifle. My 2 cents. Marv.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 11:15:25 AM »
My .357 Mag Handi is a really "fun gun". It shoots .38 Specials GREAT!!!, one big hole groups are not uncommon at 50 yards. .357 Mags great, and .360 DW (Dan Wessons) great also (they fit in the gun as it came from the factory). More than accurate enough for deer at 100 yards, but with this gun/caliber I PERSONALLY would keep my shots within 50 yards. Not a hard thing for me to do where I hunt, in the thick stuff in Maine. I have never shot a deer further than 40 yards in Maine. Then again, most of the time I can't even see 20 yards away!!!....<><.... :grin:

someday I'll get another .357 barrel and have a .35 Remington made!!!
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 04:58:20 PM »
MSP,

You might consider the new .35 Whelen and load it down to .35 Rem performance.  It's easy enough to load one down, but pretty hard to load them up!  :roll:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 05:04:42 PM »
Speaking of .35 Rem, my .357max barrel is going in the mail this week for a trip to Pendleton, Oregon for a reaming to .35 Rem, got brass, bullets and an RCBS die set just burning a hole in my reloading bench waiting for something to do. Wayne is ready for work and said to ship it off to him!! :grin:

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
thnks
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 02:04:40 AM »
thans for the replies guys, but i have no interest in loading.  I am really looking for thoughts from guys who shoot factory ammo.

thanks

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 03:14:58 AM »
Thanks Paul, but I already have a .35 Whelen Handi ( :grin:  :grin:  :grin: ).  Quick, do you know what he usually charges for a .357 to .35 Remington? Does he include the ejector replacement with that price?....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 05:53:05 AM »
MSP, $100 for the rechamber, $10 shipping, didn't ask about the ejector, but he's real reasonable, email him and see what he says.

Tim

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 07:35:22 AM »
Hello Darat100 and welcome to the show.

To respond to your post...

I've fired 2-3 boxes of factory loaded .357 Magnum ammunition through my Handi.  The groups would not be benchrest winners, but would certainly suffice for deer.  At 50 yards they were consistently under 1.5 inches, while at 100 yards they would be 2-3 inches and showed about 6-8 inches of drop from the zero at 50 yards.
There's not much bother to recoil-sensitive shooters.  I have no idea what velocity the bullets were, but I did disassemble 5 of the factory loaded rounds to weigh the powder charge.  They were all at 16gr. and as they were Winchester loads, I'm going to assume that they were loaded with Winchester 296 powder.  My link to their site is not working, but you could easily obtain the spec velocity from there.  
For buying rounds, stick with the heavier bullet offerings, the light ones won't offer much gain in a longer barrel and may actually be slower than they would be in a 6" bbl.

Hope this helps,
Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 08:11:11 AM »
Some of the loading manuals show rifle data for the .357mag, usually in an 18½" or 20" barrel, so the 22" will increase some. Here's some data for anyone interested...

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/357magri.php

http://accuratepowder.com/data/PerCaliber2Guide/Rifle/Standarddata(Rifle)/358Cal(9.09mm)/357%20Remington%20Magnum%20pages%20306%20and%20307.pdf

http://www.imrpowder.com/data/rifle/357mag.php

Offline mag41vance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: What do you guys think of your .357 handi?
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 09:07:45 AM »
Quote from: darat100

And it has to be a factory load.  I am not interested in loading.

Thanks

Winchester Supreme 180 gr Nosler Partition. The best .357mag factory ammo you will find.
 Shoots right at an inch at 100yds and chrony's at around 1700fps through my 22" NEF.
no x now!

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 02:20:16 PM »
Well, you've done it again!  :cry:  

All this talk about .35 Remington and I had to put one on layaway today.  I stayed in the family with a Marlin 336, which is the first levergun I've ever owned.

The saleman said there is a new rubber tipped bullet suitable for levergun magazines, called "Evolution" by Hornady.  It's supposed to be made in .30-30, .35 Rem, .444 and one or two others that I can't remember now.  The component bullet should be good in Handis too.

Well, that wasn't quite right.  Here's what Midway says about the ammunition.

Hornady Leverevolution Ammunition 35 Remington 200 Grain Elastomer Flex Tip Box of 20

This ammunition features a soft, elastomer tip that offers the performance of a polymer-tipped bullet that is perfectly safe to use in lever action rifles. This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases.

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Reboring & recambering
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2006, 03:27:57 PM »
Quickdtoo, Has Wayne Got a new web site since he moved phone no?
 He has my barrel sinceNov I think. Did he give you eatimate when
 he git to yours? I am just like a kid waiting for Christmas :-D
Marv.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2006, 03:48:13 PM »
Marv, he has a new phone number and address, still has the same web site and email address, though. I'll pm you his new address and phone number, I don't know if it's a public number. He said he's starting back to work, but he's got a lot of catch up to do, I don't expect it will be done for a while.

Tim

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2006, 03:44:56 AM »
I have the Handi in .357, 30-30 and .410 bore with synthetic stocks.
With serious factory loads like Corbon's 180 sp or Winchesters exellent 180 nosler load, 2 inches or less would be my average when it wore a 1-4X shotgun scope. The heavier the bullet, the better for Marlins and Handi's.
My Handi now is strictly an open sighted 'handy' rifle.
For the wife, you simply can't beat the Handi and a box full of .38 spl lrn loads as a trainer. Accuracy is top notch out to 50 yards and some loads are as quiet as a subsonic .22lr.
I don't think NEF is making .357's anymore, so get one while you can.
I jsut shot my first handloads, it adds a whole new dimension of satisfaction and accuracy.