Author Topic: Loosing pages  (Read 854 times)

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
Loosing pages
« on: January 13, 2006, 08:50:02 PM »
Latley have been loosing pages, i.e...says10 pages get thru 6 and the next 4 say nothing their. This is the only forum I'am having this prob. with. Have been thru 2 rebuilt putters and one new one. Any help?

Gun Runner

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Loosing pages
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 11:00:24 PM »
Sounds like you might be using the what's new since last visit option that I use. The logic in it is messed up for some reason. The number of posts and pages isn't correct. What you are shown is really all that's new since last viist. At least that's what I've determined. I have several names to log in under and can use one I've not used in a good while and see those pages or threads supposedly not shown to the other username. What I've determined is that they are not posts I've not read.

Matt has promised that this weekend he will shut the site down and remove all the mods. We will go back up with only the basic forum software and banners. I've been after him for some while to do this to see if we can isolate what keeps creeping back in to haunt us. He's had technical problems on his end and a lot of work that's been holding it back. This weekend should work for him tho.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Gun Runner

Loosing pages
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 07:16:19 AM »
Tks Graybeard, I was driving myself and my tech nuts looking and trying to find the missing pages.

Gun Runner

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Loosing pages
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 08:30:23 AM »
This is the #1 site that I visit.  A while back we had a topic going regarding a hacker.  About mid-flight on that topic suddenly I got nailed by a nasty pop-up called Winfixer.  At the sametime I started getting X-rated pop-ups.  No I did not visit any of those sites.  After this continueing problem I had to re-format my hard drive.  Winfixer was so evasive that I did not save any documents, pictures, links, e-mails, it was all flushed.  I then re-installed the operating system.  

This may sound paranoid, but it crossed my mind that the H&S 5150 that was targeting the website may have targeted my computer.  Or was it the way the World Turned on that day.  I susgest that concerned computer users go to California Representative John Dolittle website.  He has been appointed by Congress to represent the U.S. on World Comittee regulating the Internet.  Dolittle has introduced a bill in Congress underscoring the United States responsibility to maintain the Internet functions Worldwide.  We (US) has done that since the inception.  There maybe a use for the UN for resolving many Internet problems.  They could maintain a prison farm for the hackers in Haiti.  This would create an employment oppertunity for the locals.  Send Dolittle a nice e-mail regarding your frustration with harmful pop-ups, and hackers.

Hopefully this site gets and going full bore soon.  I have had problems posting recently.  To the point that I have had to abandon some post because of problems.  

Recently some California High School kids were ordered to pay thousands of dollars to a high school for hacking into the computer system.  Without a doubt costly to the parents and other family members.  But it had to happen.  The attacks on peoples computers are a terrorist attack.  The penalties need to be painful.  They need to pay the cost of the damage and then spend sometime growing vegetables in Haiti.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Loosing pages
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 12:51:47 PM »
The ONLY way you can get any virus on this site is by clicking on a link someone posts in a thread. It is impossible for anyone to embed a virus on our server. We are NOT on a Windows based server. No one but the employees of the Host have write access to the programs on it. Viruses cannot infect it and therefore cannot infect your computer while you use this site.

If you are foolish enough to click on links folks post you almost assuredly will get some kind of malware on your computer however. I cannot control that unless I stop folks from posting links and there are a lot of useful links I'd not want to shut down.

That it happened to you while surfing here had nothing to do with GBO, you had been infected already and it just took that time to pop up. That's the way of such bugs. But unless you clicked a link someone posted in a thread you didn't pick it up at this site.

I use this site daily and will not ever allow anything to be put on it that would infect a computer. Now the links folks post I mostly don't click and cannot possibly control. If I do click one and see it has problems I will dump it but mostly I don't click links to sites that look questionable no matter where I see them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Loosing pages
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 08:39:20 PM »
There is no way that your are responsible for links posted on this site.  And I am aware that anytime I click on a link that my computer could be at risk.  It would be rather naive to think otherwise.  The Internet needs to be treated like a football field.  There are no free seats and there is somebody out there that will knock you on your can.

Unfortunately I do not have the skill to track the sniper who got me.  My Firewall tells me that I get pinged all the time.  I also block friends and relatives e-mails who I know fail to maintain anit-virus software on their machines.  The downside is that information provided by most links are good, and contribute to the Internet library.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Gun Runner

Loosing pages
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 09:32:26 PM »
Just logged on for my late nite session, and it said their was a 198 msgs, sure enough got all 198 of them.  :grin:

When I post a link, its something I have looked at before posting. My tech. hates for me to wake him up in the middle of the night to fix something for me (I really dont wake him up) I figger as long as I keep the frige and freezer and the kitchen cabinets full I'am paying for him to work on my Putter.

Gun Runner