Author Topic: bsa plattinum  (Read 615 times)

Offline FATTTTDADDY

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
bsa plattinum
« on: January 14, 2006, 08:38:18 PM »
3x9x44 is this a decent scope for my 270 handi rifle?

Offline whitedogone

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
bsa plattinum
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 01:03:36 AM »
NO
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 Skeet 28g 28"
Browning BPS Syn. 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS rifled w/ Pentax 2x5x20
Tikka M595 in .223 w/ Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40
Savage 93 in 17HMR w/ Mueller APV 4.5-14
Winchester 94 mint Built in 1951
Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" 44 Mag

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
bsa plattinum
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 02:41:00 AM »
Of all the scopes made the BSA is on the bottom of the list.  You would be better off with a Bushnell.  I would recommend my normal scope, but I always get beat up for it. So get what you can afford and just be happy with your decision.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline akpls

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
bsa plattinum
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 07:08:15 AM »
B-arely S-ufficient A- pparatus!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
bsa plattinum
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 07:18:19 AM »
I can't say anything about that scope, but I do have a BSA AR312X44 airgun scope that has performed well on a heavy spring gun for quite a while now, glass is clear, eye relief short, adjustments  fairly crisp but for the $80 I paid, it works well. But, there are much better scopes available for not much more money that will make you glad you spent a bit more. I recommend reading a few posts on the Bushnell and Mueller scopes that are available in the $100-$150 range, can't go wrong with them. :wink:

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
bsa plattinum
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 11:01:03 AM »
well i've got the Sweet .17 3-12x40 and i think it gave out. both in terms of repeatability and zero hold.
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline jcunclejoe

• Avid Poster
bsa plattinum
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 01:17:21 PM »
I have had two of the BSA 6-24x Platinums on silhouette competition pistols. I adjust the elevation for each distance at every match. So far both have been perfectly repeatable and I have shot some very good and very consistent scores. In one of the scopes, the crosshair started to rotate with the power ring. Just a tiny bit, but enough to notice that the vertical line was no longer vertical. It mainitained point of impact and worked fine but I sent it in anyway just to be sure. They sent me a new one to replace it and have not had any trouble since and no trouble at all with the other one.
I admit they are not the clearest and brightest scopes but they work well for the application I'm using them for. As far as I can tell the only reason I miss any targets, is all me. The equipment (scope included) is certainly up to the task.
I also have one of the BSA 4-12 Air rifle scopes on a 22 hornet pistol and last year I was one point from tying the IHMSA 60 round PAS world record, at the West Coast Championships. I won scoped standing championships with all three of my BSA topped guns.
I would love to put Leupolds on all three guns but I just can't bring myself to fix what aint broke.
Just my experience.
Joe

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
bsa plattinum
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 02:19:14 PM »
I have bought my share of cheap scopes and BSA is the worst. I sold mine at a yard sale for $5.  I'm not one of those guys who thinks you have to spend a fortune on a scope but the BSA's are horrible.  I still can't get over how cloudy they are.  Mine held zero but it was as cloudy as looking through a coke bottle compared to a Bushnell.  You would be much happier with a Bushnell Banner or Trophy.  They are in the same price range as the BSA and you would be better served. Check out the Banner 4x12x40AO.  I have this scope and it is very clear.  Best bang for the buck in my opinion at 89$.

Offline whitedogone

• Contributor
bsa plattinum
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 01:40:39 AM »
Quote from: jcunclejoe
I have had two of the BSA 6-24x Platinums on silhouette competition pistols. I adjust the elevation for each distance at every match. So far both have been perfectly repeatable and I have shot some very good and very consistent scores. In one of the scopes, the crosshair started to rotate with the power ring. Just a tiny bit, but enough to notice that the vertical line was no longer vertical. It mainitained point of impact and worked fine but I sent it in anyway just to be sure. They sent me a new one to replace it and have not had any trouble since and no trouble at all with the other one.
I admit they are not the clearest and brightest scopes but they work well for the application I'm using them for. As far as I can tell the only reason I miss any targets, is all me. The equipment (scope included) is certainly up to the task.
I also have one of the BSA 4-12 Air rifle scopes on a 22 hornet pistol and last year I was one point from tying the IHMSA 60 round PAS world record, at the West Coast Championships. I won scoped standing championships with all three of my BSA topped guns.
I would love to put Leupolds on all three guns but I just can't bring myself to fix what aint broke.
Just my experience.
Joe

YOU'RE JOKING, RIGHT?
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 Skeet 28g 28"
Browning BPS Syn. 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS rifled w/ Pentax 2x5x20
Tikka M595 in .223 w/ Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40
Savage 93 in 17HMR w/ Mueller APV 4.5-14
Winchester 94 mint Built in 1951
Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" 44 Mag