Author Topic: old old handi H&R s  (Read 805 times)

Offline biggbore

• Trade Count: (0)
old old handi H&R s
« on: February 04, 2006, 03:38:01 PM »
I seem to remember some years ago I owned an h&r 058 or 158 that had a .357 max, 30-30 win, and a 12ga barrel with it. I also owned the same gun in 44 mag. both guns had color case hardened receivers the same as my topper shot gun. all shot very well.  Now when i call NEF they say that the color case hardened receiver is to weak to handle anything but a shot gun barrel. does this mean that the old stuff was not safe?

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
old old handi H&R s
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 04:14:36 PM »
No what they are telling you is that since the new company was formed they will only fit barrels to the newer frames .

Yes some of the older frames were case hard color and had rifle barrels that worked on lower pressures like the 357 , 30/30 and 44 mags as well as the shotgun ga's .

The new H&R has two frames , one for the low pressure shotgun and ML barrels and one for the high pressure rifle cal's.
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
old old handi H&R s
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 02:21:17 AM »
I guess they may have saved some money by downgrading the receivers used for shotguns.  I just seems to make more sense, TO ME,  to just use the stronger receiver for everything and then only have ONE.
Maybe that limited logic is why I still have a job where my name is printed on my shirt. LOL  Just don't know.
The folks at Walker Arms in Selma, AL told me that the pre-Marlin models used the same receiver for both rifle and shotguns.  Walker is the company that CS referred my to for questions on my 1983 Model 99.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
old old handi H&R s
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 03:17:16 AM »
Still one of the great questions-How much Max pressure are the color hardened receivers rated at?
I still haven't found an answer to this. Heard of guys shooting 30-06's off them :eek: I don't believe that to be smart, but for lower pressure cartridges like the 357, I believe it's safe. Still a risk though, and why do it if you have a perfectly good SB-2?
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/saami_pressures.htm

Offline biggbore

• Trade Count: (0)
old old handi H&R s
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 03:39:18 PM »
Thanks for all the input,  spoke w/ h&r1871 today and they said there is a big diffrance in the old guns and what they make now that is why the new sb2 can deal very well with the 30-06. they also stated that the new handi can take any barrel they have that makes me feel good. but I never got out of them what kind of rear forcing presure any of the guns could take. we all know with a chamber wall as thick as a handi that the barrel can take the heat with no problem. food for thought. could a new 45-70 handi  be changed to 458 win mag with out getting hurt?????????

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
old old handi H&R s
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 12:40:34 PM »
The Handi Rifle might not be hurt, but the shooter sure would!   :-D

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline gschwertley

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Handi-rifle frames
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 06:21:27 PM »
I think there is another issue going on here also, and that is the same old story with product liability.  I remember the old H&R combos utilizing the same ductile iron frames between 12 gauge and .30-30.  Since many rifle chamberings work at typically higher pressures than shotgun, they are taking the more than safe course by limiting fitment of all rifle barrels to steel frames.