Author Topic: Looking for comparable gun...  (Read 862 times)

Offline kody119

• Trade Count: (0)
Looking for comparable gun...
« on: April 28, 2003, 07:12:53 AM »
Hello!

I am a woman looking to by my first VERY OWN handgun.  I have shot my husband's Glock (.40) and enjoyed it so much I want my own  :grin:

I have looked at the Glock 26 and am wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of comparable guns as far as size, recoil and durability.  I am going to rent a few different guns this week at the range -to test before I make a decision.  Any suggestions?  

Thanks!
"Great things are done when men and mountains meet."  - William Blake

Offline chk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 12:15:30 PM »
You could take a look at the Springfield Armory XD series pistols. Much like a Glock but has some safety features I like over the Glock. Dave

Offline Majic

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 03:50:52 PM »
I prefer metal over the polymer guns, so I wil recomend one of the CZ 75's or 85. CZ also make polymer guns, but I have no personal experience with them.

Offline jamie

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 05:42:28 PM »
Try the Sig Saur P239.
AMMO...
LiFe, Liberty and the Pursuit of all those that threaten it!

Offline kody119

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2003, 02:46:03 AM »
I checked out the XD series- looks impressive, I'm just wondering where I can get my hands on one.  Thanks for the advice though.

Majic- any reason for the preference?  Or just personal experience? Thx...

Also, I had an issue with the Sig because of he grip, I tried an H&K and liked it because of the longer slide release.  Any experience with an H&K?

Thanks!
"Great things are done when men and mountains meet."  - William Blake

Offline Questor

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2003, 02:56:37 AM »
All of the guns from the major manufactureres are excellent. It just depends on what you want to do with it.  My recommendation is that you go to a well stocked gun shop and handle several.  Renting is a good idea.  Don't rule out the revolvers because they require less maintenance and are mechanically simpler from the user's perspective.  What will happen is that you'll keep going back to one that you like best.  That's the one to buy.

The big question is whether this is a gun for shooting or for carrying for defense.  If it's for carry, then it needs to be compact, light weight, and built for the task.  

If it's for target shooting or recreational shooting, get a full size gun because they're more fun to shoot. Adjustable sights are also a big plus.  

Also find out what your ammo costs are going to be.  If you plan to shoot it a lot, then don't buy a gun that requires scarce or expensive ammo.
Safety first

Offline Majic

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2003, 10:16:46 AM »
It's just personal for me Kody. I have always loved blue steel and wood grips. There are some mighty fine polymer pistols on the market, and stainless steel or alloys make up the rest of the market these days. I have a few SS guns (only because they don't build them in carbon steel), but no polymer models.

Offline willis5

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2003, 04:36:16 AM »
Kody119 and I went to the range last night. we shot the sig .40 p226 glock 27 and glock 22. They didn't have much else to compare. these were diffrent guns (double action and "safe action") I'll let her tell you what she thought.
cheers,
willis5
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline TopGun

• Avid Poster
Kody119
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2003, 02:51:25 PM »
Try a Walther P99 on for size in 9mm or 40short and wimpy! The KelTec is also very good. It make a great hiking/biking gun, east to conceal, good firepower and very durable. But I guess when the talkin's over, I depend on my Kimber .45 custom combat or my P99--the latter is much lighter to carry concealed, and I have factory pre-ban Hi-cap for it. If It's good enoungh for James Bond, it's good enough for me!   I've never been a Glock fan, but there longevity and popularity say something. Go with what fits and what you can hit with, and are comfortable enough to make it function the dark! As someone stated before, most high-priced modern one's are very good. I had a SIG 229 and 226--wish I had it back!
The first shot is the best shot, it may be your only shot!  Do it with a single-shot.
NRA Life Member 1980
HHI Member #2933
NAHC Life Member
RMEF Member

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2003, 04:59:37 PM »
if you intend to shoot alot, questor had good advise{i.e.-stay away from the smaller guns}.   i own an h k and had two at one point.   i prefer the design over the glock.   all the controls are quick, convenient, and right where they should be.   i have shot about every make of handgun i can think of 9 (the glock is the only one i havent shot) and with centerfire auto loaders my two favorites are the h k usp 45 and the absolute favorite is the 1911 kimber.   all others left me un-impressed.   i assume that you are leaning toward autoloaders?   do yourself a favor, do not buy until you have handled a quality 1911.   i would suggest either a springfield or kimber; both are of excellent quality.   once you have handled a good 1911 and looked it over,  go with your gut reaction on which gun is for you.   you are wise to look over all your options before reaching a decision.   good luck with your choice.