Author Topic: Sizing/lubing .41s  (Read 512 times)

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Sizing/lubing .41s
« on: March 26, 2003, 05:05:57 AM »
A short time ago I started casting bullets for my 41 mag. To date I have been shooting them unsized  (.415) with better result than some of the commercial cast bullets sized at .410. The problem is pan lubing any significant quantities is a big pain. I have a lyman #45 but the only lube die available is in .410 unless I go custom. I noticed there is a .417 die available, I presume for the 416. Have any fellow .41 fans tried this die for lubing .41s? It's about 1/2 the price of a custom die.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Leftoverdj

• Trade Count: (0)
Sizing/lubing .41s
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2003, 11:34:18 AM »
I've been meaning to just lap my .410 sizing die out a couple of thous. My chambers are too tight to just shoot as cast.

Lee will do a custom push through die for $25, but then you are still left with lubing problem. Liquid ALox works well, but I don't like the extra left on the exposed pertion of the bullet.

Dip lubing is slightly less of a PITA than pan lubing. Set up just like you like you were going to pan lube, grab the bullet nose with needle nose liers or the like and dip. How quick you dip gives pretty good control of how much lube sticks. I use a baby crockpot from a yardsale for this.

Not bad if I am only doing a couple hundred bullets. but really boring were we talking thousands.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline HWooldridge

• Contributor
Sizing/lubing .41s
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 12:02:27 PM »
The difference here is only .0025 per side so I think a light pass on a lathe with a boring bar would be the thing to do.  If you don't have access to one, then a vise, valve grinding compound, an electric drill and time will suffice to take out this small amount of material.  Cast 20 or so bullets, drill the bases, install a screw, then cut off the head and use them as the lap tool.  Coat the bullet with oil and apply the compound then get busy.  I bored a .429 die to .450 on a lathe with a carbide-tipped bar.  With a few passes and slow feed, it left a very smooth surface and could be used without further lapping.

Offline Leftoverdj

Sizing/lubing .41s
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2003, 02:02:57 PM »
If you decide to lap your die, I would suggest that you not try for the whole .005 to start with. Your bullets may well benefit from some sizing. I'd suggest you lap and try.

Thank you got for getting me moving, by the way. I went out to the shop and lapped my own die one bullets worth of 600 grit Clover compound. I'm not trying for a major increase, just somewhere between one and two thous. Think I got it and know I polished some of those nasty tool marks RCBS left in the die.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.