Author Topic: Anyone use a 32" 12g barrel?  (Read 1071 times)

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Anyone use a 32" 12g barrel?
« on: March 17, 2005, 02:57:21 PM »
How do you like it?
I thought about ordering one from H&R.
How does it group?

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 03:31:05 PM »
Offhand35 has one. You could pm him or do a search I know it has been mentioned a few times.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 04:33:22 PM »
Got 32" barrels on my Beretta sporting clays gun. Kinda long.  :eek:  But that seems to help with sporting clays. I can think of no other game except maybe trap that I'd want barrels that long. Can't imagine using them on any hunting gun except maybe for pass shooting at long range.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline wrongpaw

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 10:28:44 AM »
Picked up an NEF 12GA. Full Choke 32 inch'er from a local gun shop
that was traded in by a Gun Club. It was used for block shoots.
Gun is in great shape, and only cost $40.00 Tax, Tags, & Title.

regards,
wrongpaw
Regards,
Wrongpaw

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 12:57:53 PM »
:D Hello wrongpaw ! I'm left handed (?too?), shoot handgun left handed, right eyed, and long gun right handed, right eyed. Huh?!! :eek:

You got the whole gun for less than the cost of the barrel alone!!!!

Hello, myarmor!

I bought my 32" bbl as an accessory for my 12ga Tracker II. I also got a "monte carlo" Handi butt stock at the same  time, and built an NEF "trap" gun for the non deer hunting season......

I shot trap with it once a week or so last summer, and after a while was hitting 23's and 24's with it. I have not hit 25 yet, something about that last clay....

Plus I haven't shot one gun long enough to really get consistant.....I'm hoping to change that.... a few of the not so snobbish trap shooters at the club don't know quite what to make of that gun....it's not the usual undersized H&R, it has a loooong barrel, and a high buttstock......one fellow thought it might be "Cowboy Bob's" gun.....

I did get to pattern it this past week, and the full choke  on this is about the same as the  improved modified bbl of a  Browining  that  I once had......it is not as tight as the chokes on the Browning BPS Trap or Winchester Model 12 that my sons are shooting at trap ......though when the rangemaster saw the pattern from those, he did a little double take..... about 15" around at 35 yds.....

Other than deer, I hunt squirrel, and want to hunt rabbit sometime,  and    I would not take the 32" out for them, as I would like something left to eat.....
But if I had an opportunity for Canada goose, I would probably take that along.

Enjoy! We'd like to hear how it shoots for you!
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline myarmor

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 05:30:48 AM »
I haven't heard of many that bought the 32 incher. I think I will go for it soon when I send back my ultra to get fitted with a 308 Bull. Thanks for the feed back. :grin:

Offline myarmor

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 10:04:59 AM »
Been awhile since I posted about this, but sense then I changed my mind and ended up ordering a 30-06UltaComp barrel while they still had a couple left. Didn't have the money to put down for the 32" then sadly :cry:  
But I am about to send another receiver back for fitting and the prospect of this barrel still intriges me.
What about shooting rifled slugs through it?-Anyone try this, if so what load did you shoot, with what performance?
and Buckshot?
-Aaron

DELETED

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 12:21:55 PM »
DELETED

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 01:44:50 PM »
Quote from: cknight98
myarmor,
on the slugs, i wouldnt advise shooting them through the full choke.  i've shot them through modified chokes before, and didnt really like doing that.  it doesnt bother some people, but i just dont like to do it.  i also wouldnt shoot very large buckshot with the full choke either.  #4's would work good in the full choke though...

You can shoot rifled slugs through a full choke without any worries. The rifling on the sides of the slug was put there for the purpose of shooting through any choke from cylinder to full. What the rifling actually does is allow the slug to swage down when going through your choke and that is it, it doesn't help the slug rotate in a smooth bore.

You can also shoot any size buckshot from 000 buck to #4 buck without any worries. As a matter of fact, not sure if they still are but the boxes of buckshot used to say "best performance in full choke" or something very similar. Full choke always gave the best patterns with 00 buck in my guns. I haven't shot any buckshot in about 20 years since the rifled shotgun barrels came out, it's effective range is very limited.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline myarmor

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 07:57:43 PM »
Thanks for the replys fellas. Actually I haven't shot Buckshot from any of my shotguns in over 7years or so. Don't know why, cause they are a lot of fun. But like you said the range is limited. I was curious about the slugs though. I do enjoy shooting them, but I am mostly a centerfire man, and don't use the shotty as much.
 It would be interesting to see if NEF/H&R would drill and tap it for a scope mount. A cool package with a RedDot on it, I think. Hummm....
-Aaron

DELETED

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 02:22:28 AM »
DELETED

DELETED

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 02:26:17 AM »
DELETED

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 01:56:39 AM »
As far as sights I have taken a 12ga 24in barrel with the choke tubes & put a ramp on the front with a fire sight. Used an old style nef rear sight & put it on the barrel just ahead of the chamber. Used the front sight hight equivalent to a 12 ga tracker. Put it on with Poly-choke's rib adheasive so far it works good. have not tried to pattern any turky loads or slugs just kind of messin around for now with it. One day I may get serious. The rear sight is close a peep would be better but used what I had. May have to look at the one-ragged-hole insert for it.
So far my eyes can still see it :lol:
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline myarmor

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 01:00:37 AM »
Been almost a year sense I started this thread and for some stupid reason I still don't have a 32"er :x  :evil:  :)
So I though I woud bring it back up to see if anyone has got one of these as of late.
Anyone?

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 07:59:30 AM »
I picked up a used 32" Pardner at a local shop a little while back.  Love the long bbl.  I use it for squirrel, but after reading this thread I may try shooting trap with it.

Wouldn't mind picking up an old H&R Topper with a 36", just for fun.

EVOC ONE

Offline myarmor

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 08:13:26 AM »
I tell ya, with a 36" or even 32" barrel, shooting the new extended range turkey laods now'a days..what would a man pattern in at, 100yards? :-D