Author Topic: 338-08 who else shoots one?  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Elkslayer

• Trade Count: (0)
338-08 who else shoots one?
« on: October 29, 2005, 05:12:47 PM »
I've got a Rem M7 with a 22" #3 bbl and I really like it. I have settled on Hornady 200 gr sp bullets. Haven't been able to take any game with it yet.

Anyone have a 338-08 and what game have you taken with it? How did it perform?

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 04:05:26 AM »
Elk Slayer

I just sent this PM out to a friend of mine in Wa state.... I have been thinking of this cartridge myself.... I guess I'm not the only one here.

I've been reading and thinking here lately... now that could be dangerous  :-D   But anyway.. I had been thinking about turning my Springfield bolt action 243 Winchester into a .358 Winchester, because ammo is available over the counter, and brass is available thru Buffalo Arms.  Then someone said, why don't you turn it into a .356 Winchester... don't know the answer to that one yet...

But I had been thinking again, because of the .338-06 case... has anyone turned a .308 Winchester neck up to the .338 dia bullet?  I thought that this would make a great cartridge... I mean after all the .358 Winchester and the .356 Winchester are on a .308 Winchester cartridge are they not?  So why no developement for the plain ol .338 Winchester (non-magnum) cartridge?

I just had been thinking here that this cartridge would be great... never put in 338-08 cartridge data googling... getting much information there.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 08:57:42 AM »
At one time i loaded my .338-06 down a bit and used 200 grain Hornandy bullets designed for the 33 winchester.   I can't tell you off the top of my head what the V was, but probable about like a stiff load useing an 08 case would give.

On Sitka black tails it was a bit of a soft bullet but did work well as long as you used "rib" shots.  I always figured the bullet was a bit "soft" for anything bigger so didn't shoot anything bigger with that bullet and load.  I probable harvested 10 to 15 deer with that combo.

Drilling Man

Offline Barstooler

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 09:58:45 AM »
If you want something in that general case size and caliber, why not just get an 8X57 in a modern type bolt action and load it to its real potential versus the watered-down 8mm ammo you buy over the counter that is downloaded for the pre-98 mausers?

That would seem to be a simpler solution, because you would not need premium-type bullets in a 338-08 or 8mm at those velocities so the more "limited" bullet selection in the 8mm is not really that limited.

Barstooler
Beverage of Choice -  Jeremiah Weed
Weapon of Choice  -  30 Mike Mike Gatlin Gun

Offline Yukon Jack

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 03:03:56 PM »
Federal is going to be loading this round commercially in 2006, calling it the 338 Federal.  Sako will be making rifles for it.
http://outdoorwriters.atk.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=3&s2=8&id=80&brand=5&year=2005

Offline lgm270

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 02:19:24 PM »
Quote from: Barstooler
If you want something in that general case size and caliber, why not just get an 8X57 in a modern type bolt action and load it to its real potential versus the watered-down 8mm ammo you buy over the counter that is downloaded for the pre-98 mausers?

That would seem to be a simpler solution, because you would not need premium-type bullets in a 338-08 or 8mm at those velocities so the more "limited" bullet selection in the 8mm is not really that limited.

Barstooler

Dear Barstooler:

I agree with you that the 8x57 is under rated and under appreciated.  Properly handloaded, it's a great round and certainly in any practical respect it is the equal of the new 338/08.   I'm an incorrigible fan of and reader of things about wildcats, but I share your view on the 8x57.

The guy who started this post, however, as I understand it, has a Remington M-7 and that action is too short for an 8x57 round.  If I were in his shoes, I would probably opt for the 358 over the 338 Federal, but who knows which is the best.  If the 338 Federal takes off it might be the better if for no other reason than more over the counter  loads will be available in that  caliber than for the poor semi-orphaned .358.  

Happy new year to you!

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 02:31:26 PM »
I've been useing an 8x57 jrs for most of my big game hunting for the last 20 years or so...  I settled on 200 grain Nosler partitions at 2,350 mv for my "one load" for everything with this gun.

I've harvested moose, bear, blk and while tailed deer and many other animials to date.  So far i've only recovered two of those np's, and one of them was this fall from the buck pictured below.

I'm quite happy with the job it's doing and i don't plan to change one thing.

Drilling Man

Offline crash87

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 03:48:02 AM »
Gentlemen, Ken Waters did a article on the 338-08 in one of his pet loads columns. I believe the issue was Handloader Oct 95. He compared it to the .358 Win.(one of his favorites) and the 308 Win. Also has loading data for anything you'll need to take with this cartridge. My 2 cents?, Its something different yet in all honesty it doesnt do anything the .358 wont do. But the upside is if Federal does load ammo for it, it might be a worthwhile project for a Ruger M77( tang saftey model) I've got in the safe waiting for a caliber change. (its now a .243)
                                                      CRASH87

Offline Blacktail53

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 07:27:41 PM »
Go to this site to get a really good look into the .338 Federal.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/338_federal_first_look.htm

The great 8x57 at its best, is at home in a standard length action. The .338 Fed and .358 Win can be housed in true short actions like the model 7 and 7oo remingtons.
    Although I own a nice Sako .358 carbine, I feel that the new Federal round is just as useful.  I have another Sako Forester in .243 that very well may get rebored or barreled to the new kid on the block.

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
338-06
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 10:43:21 AM »
I don't have first hand experience with a 338-08, but I can tell you 200 grain SP do a great job on white tail deer when fired from my 338-06. Velocity is 2670. The results on four deer have been very good. The long runner went about 20 feet before falling the other three droped on the spot. Three were heart lung shots one was straight on in to the lower neck, breaking the back. ( of a gut shot doe ) The thing I noticed right away was the lack of meat damage or blood shot meat. I get a good enterence wound and a good exit wound, period. The heart has significant damage as do the lungs but the area adjacant to the wounds is clean.

longwalker

Offline brasskeeper

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 02:39:01 PM »
Thanks for the link, thats a good article. I hope this cartridge does well. We need some positive news after the Winchester Let down.

Quote from: Blacktail53
Go to this site to get a really good look into the .338 Federal.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/338_federal_first_look.htm

The great 8x57 at its best, is at home in a standard length action. The .338 Fed and .358 Win can be housed in true short actions like the model 7 and 7oo remingtons.
    Although I own a nice Sako .358 carbine, I feel that the new Federal round is just as useful.  I have another Sako Forester in .243 that very well may get rebored or barreled to the new kid on the block.