Author Topic: Caliber, Ammo, and other fun questions  (Read 278 times)

Offline mr.theman

• Trade Count: (0)
Caliber, Ammo, and other fun questions
« on: February 17, 2006, 05:23:41 PM »
I am look for my first home defense and CC weapon.  I am not new to guns but I don't have one that is strictly a defense gun.  
    I have been looking at 45's and like the Springfield XD, but this thought entered my mind today. "If the bad guy is in the house and I shoot him from say 15 feet center mass what is going happen to the bullet after it leaves his body (if it does).  Will it have enough power left to go through the wall and into another room (kids room for example) and hurt someone. If he is in the doorway will the bullet exit and have enough power to go out the open door accross the street and into the neighbors house?"  Maybe I am looking at to much gun to safely discharge in an area where other people may get in harms way.  I don't want to say "mr. bad guy could you please take 3 steps to the right before I shoot you."  Are there other calibers that I should be looking at.
    Can this issue be solved with ammo selection?  I would assume that with hollow points the more expansion the bullet achieves the less likely it would be to exit the body and if it did it would have lost a great deal of energy.
    Please help to put my sometimes over active mind at ease.  Thanks for any advice that you guys offer.  If there is a better place on the net to get these answers I DON'T KNOW ABOUT IT, GBO is great!!!