Author Topic: Anyone tried Winchester or Hastings rifled choke tubes?  (Read 427 times)

Offline gimphunter

• Trade Count: (1)
Anyone tried Winchester or Hastings rifled choke tubes?
« on: February 19, 2006, 08:24:38 AM »
I'm having a weaver rail silver soldered to the 12 ga choke tube Pardner barrel I use for turkey hunting, so I can put a red dot sight on it.

I could put one of the Win or Hastings rifled slug tubes on it for a little under $40, and have a slug combo, too, but what kind of accuracy might I get with the high-velocity sabot slugs from Hornady, Winchester and Remington?

I'm going to get a 20 Tracker II barrel after turkey season and have it drilled and tapped for a scope, so I don't really "need" a 12 ga slug barrel, but the choke tubes look like a cheap alternative if they'll let me use sabots with the barrel, mount and optic that I already have.

If I have to buy a 12 ga Tracker II barrel and pay for another silver soldered mount, I probably won't bother. I don't relish the idea of switching one optical sight  from barrel to barrel, and having to resight these hard-kicking guns each time, so I'd end up buying another sight, too. With the price of the barrel and fitting, silver soldered mount and optic, it would be more than $300.

Anyone tried these tubes? Did it work well, or should I just stick to rifled slugs with this one?

Thanks,
David