Author Topic: which load???  (Read 400 times)

Offline blackdirt beagles

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Blackdirt Kennels
which load???
« on: February 06, 2006, 12:40:24 PM »
my "pocket gun" is a BERSA THUNDER .380... i know, not the biggest, but its conveniant and always at arms reach... anyhow..

what load would be best for personal defense for 2 legged varmits? for my .45 and even my 9mm, i use mostly the heavier HP loads, but in this smaller gun (and caliber) would i get better performance with a hardball load??
Blackdirt Kennels

Brian Joiner

815-303-2569- anytime

Offline Dusty Miller

which load???
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 10:08:03 PM »
Maybe you need to find a good spitwad load!!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
which load???
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 02:20:33 AM »
I have always opted for ball ammo in the 380 and smaller calibers.  Sometimes hollowpoints may not penetrate the way they are supposed to and have less effect on the target.  The 380 is a 2-3 shot stopper - which means you have to plant 2 or 3 into your assailant to get him to turn away or drop.   If you don't mind having to pull the trigger 2 or 3 times then you should be alright.  

Every now and then I pull my old Beretta 380 out of the drawer when I have to go to town.  I will slide an extra mag into my pocket and don't feel undergunned.  

Your best bet is to practice with what you intend to carry until you can group reliably during stress-fire.  JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline blackdirt beagles

• Blackdirt Kennels
which load???
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 03:37:56 AM »
thanks mikey... thats sorta what i was thinking. just would like a few opinions.
Blackdirt Kennels

Brian Joiner

815-303-2569- anytime

Offline Ocsamschainsaw

• http://www.myspace.com/tsm002
which load???
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 04:44:08 PM »
I dunno, I've always thought the whole penetration thing was sorta overblown...
Same with the crazy expansion favored by the "other" side of the ballistics argument.
To me, if it goes bang and cycles the entire time, that's step one. Step two to me..comes down to more personal preference...
I've heard the arguments that ball ammo ought to be used in small autos for barrier penetration...think about this..
If you're having to shoot through a hard barrier at someone with a .25-.380, you probably have problems that might be better solved with either getting away as fast as you can or by switching to a shoulder arm/bigger caliber handgun. Using 12 inches as a minimum while discounting things that penetrate 11 3/4 like the Facklerites do seems sorta wierd to me.  
That being said..if ball is all that cycles reliably, that'd be what I carry.
I've always been partial to Remington's Golden Sabers, since they seem to have less flash, have sealed primers and case mouths and function 100 percent in my carry gun.
In my teeny tiny 9mm? I may get flamed for this, but I like the aguila IQ loads. Why? They kick the least. And out of a 14 oz. 9mm, that means a LOT...whatever performance they have, it must be better than a loud miss with anything, yes, even ball kicks ridiculously for me with that gun. Especially nato ball, ack.
Again, to me it all comes down to personal preference...any of the "big" manufacturers have loads that ought to work fine, just my .02.
WECSOG Madness-Hide Your Dremels!

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
which load???
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 10:31:52 AM »
I keep Magsafe Hollow-points in the gun, ball in the backup mag.  If I need more than 15 shots, I should be beating a hasty retreat, or getting my hands on something a lot more powerful!

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?