Author Topic: .17HMR What's it good for?  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
.17HMR What's it good for?
« on: December 11, 2005, 09:02:46 AM »
Last night I was in the sportsman's store and saw a NEF in .17HMR.  What could I use it for?  Too hot for rabbits, possiably too hot for foxes.  Not enough weight for Cayotes or Wolves.  Or am I wrong?  I honestly don't know, I've never reasurched tht new cartridge.  What do others think?  Got a feeling wife has already bought it for me for  christmas.  Saw her doing a search on my gun inventory, she had punched in .17, then last night she hinted to the salesman at the counter that the single shot would be a good one to show me.  I can add, especially since I know her.   She's so sweet!  I also caught her hint about the Glock, for her.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 10:07:27 AM »
The .17hmr for coyotes is a hotly debated topic, lots of yotes have been killed with it, but it certainly isn't optimum when compared to the .223, but under certain circumstances where the local laws or location require only rimfire rounds to be used, it will work fine with proper shot placement and load selection. The 22mag will work in those same situations and cost is usually less depending on what shoots best, ammo for the 17hmr cost $8-$10 a box of 50, it certainly isn't considered a plinker if money is of concern. That said, I have 4 17hmrs including a Sportster, 2 Marlins and a CZ, all are moa or better shooters at 100yds or better, surprising accurate little rimfires. I use em for shooting ground squirrels and paper when not hunting, they work fine for meat if you limit shots to the head only on rabbits and squirrels and it's certainly capable of that if the shooter is. The 17MachII is also a fine little offering in the Sportster, ammo cost is $5-$8 a box and it shoots as flat as a 17hmr out about 125yds or so, and is better for body shots on small game since its velocity starts at 2000fps instead of 2600+ for the 17hmr.

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline centershot

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 05:13:11 AM »
Grins, that's what a .17 is good for. I shot 120 rounds at Jack Rabbits yesterday from 20 to 200 yards (even hit a few) and I still can't get the grin off my face. I have a perfectly good and several times more expensive .22LR that just collects dust.

Offline lostsniper308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 06:27:44 AM »
if you have point blank(there's a link somewhere in the FAQs i think) you can enter the info for the .17hmr and it'll give effectivness to different animals
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 03:40:13 PM »
It's good for shootin' them giant Alaskan 'skeeters.  :)
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 07:24:26 PM »
I have shot my 17 for about 2 years now. It's an excellent round, you just need to remember what it is and what it isn't.
I use mine for all small game, squrrels, rabbits, groundhogs, muskrats, and the occasional game bird. The V-Max bullets are very explosive indeed, and are rather messy. Great for groundhogs and game you don't want to see get up.
 But for the eatable game, I use the TNT hollow points. I find them not to explode like the V-Maxs do, and just seem to shoot like a laser, and slice a hole cleanly. I have shot game up to 200yards with mine, though I feel that the energy is lacking much past that. Not that it won't go farther, just runs out of steam. It's kind of an in between caliber, not nearly quite the distance and energy of a 223, but blows the pants off a 22LR.
It's a great little round, and using it for the right situations, it's performance is surprising.
-Aaron

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 02:21:43 AM »
I like my .17 HMR also but was wondering if anyone out there has tried and had any luck with the 20 grain bullets for accuracy and on game, particularly coyotes> Any expierenece with this?....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline RangerRiz

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 11:40:30 AM »
I would also like some fedback on the 20 grainers. I have heard rumors that some manufacturer is going to make a 20 grain fmj bullet at 2375 fps. Sounds like it could be useful on the bigger small game. with head shots. I think I would use something a little bigger for wolves though.
God did not create all men equal, Colt did!
ROLL TIDE!
Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 12:15:02 PM »
Considering the .17hmr is marginal on coyotes, I wouldn't even consider it for wolves. The CCI FMJ is available from Midsouth..

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/department.asp?dept=%41%4D%4D%55%4E%49%54%49%4F%4E&dept2=%52%49%4D%46%49%52%45&dept3=%31%37%20%43%41%4C

Here's a trajectory chart that incudes the 20gr XTP...actual velocity is closer to 2450fps....

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76672

Penetration tests at RFC...

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71886&page=1&pp=15&highlight=20+penetration

Offline czbuff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 04:14:59 PM »
:D 17 hmr is the only tree rat gun ill ever have . 80 to 100 yards between the eyes every time . it has took a couple of yotes . but all hit in the spine . myself wouldnot use for yotes on a perminent bases. to light  my gun is cz 452 varment   and love it
it only takes one shot.if ya need more.go sight in your gun!!!

Offline jack19512

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 03:54:55 AM »
I have tried some of the 20 grain bullets for accuracy only(100 yards) and they were OK.  Nothing to brag about in my rifles though.  Myself, I would use a larger caliber when it comes to coyotes and such.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 05:54:23 AM »
Took my new .17 HMR to the range yesterday.  Wanted to finish sighting in the Sweet-17 scope.  I was shooting a small Shoot-N-See black circle.  Just for the heck of it I started shooting a face on the target, at 100 yards.  Two eyes, a nose, then a big smile.  The .17 did a good job.  I was pleasently surprised at how the mouth turned out.  Took the target into the local gun shop, to show the gun smith that is always knocking H&Rs.   He was not near as impressed as his five year old granddaughter.  She had to have it so she could stick it on the front of the cash register.  How could I argue with that.

The Hornedy 17 gr with V-Max bullet shoots the best.  The 20 grain drops 2" at 100 yards.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline mag-check

• Avid Poster
20gr. XTP
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 01:43:27 PM »
The 20gr. XTP shoots great out of my Ruger and I get 2,480fps. I like them alot think they would be great for larger small game. Shot some into wet newspaper and they mushroom out just like a big game bullet and they hold most of there weight! Mag-Check

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 04:58:24 PM »
The Sweet-17 scope is set up for the 17gr bullet.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline Harold50

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 04:34:12 PM »
Crows at 75 - 150 yards on my neighboring farmer's dungpile in the lower field. Same field I chased them across with an old Mossberg 42M-C  when I was a 13-year-old kid.

Now at 53 I giggle like a kid when I'm shooting them. They haven't a clue that its me in the brush - I guess they must think the brush is too far away to worry about.

Federal 17 grain load works great - the bull barrel NEF is a little clunky but it shoots like a laser at 75-100 yards.

Best Wishes,
Harold
Vermont Constitution: Article 16th. That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State...

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 08:28:07 PM »
Took the .17 HMR to the range again today.  Started at 100 yards, shot good.  Moved out to 200 yards, set the Sweet-17 scope for 200 yards.  My groups were 4" low.  Was shooting the 17gr Hornady rounds.  Was not happy with that.  Thought they should have been closer than that.  If it's 4" low at 200 yards, what's it going to be at 300 yards?  I'll find out next time I go to the range.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline nea243

17hmr sporter
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 11:28:47 PM »
sourdough.
have u shoot your 17 off sand bags and bipods if so was there much differance in your groups. just bought a 17 sporter about 3 weeks ago haven't got to shoot mine much due to weather cold and windy.  :(

nea243
take a kid hunting, for they are our future!

Offline jack19512

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2006, 02:33:45 AM »
Sourdough

Isn't 300 yards really pushing it for the 17 HMR ?

Offline BuzzKill

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2006, 04:23:33 AM »
Sourdough-
As for the Sweet 17 not matching up, that is too bad, however here is a possible solution.  Understand, I do not have this scope yet, but would like, so I am making some assumptions about its workings.  Correct me if I am wrong.  I believe that the ranged reticle marks stay fixed regardless of power and that they are calibrated at a certain power(magnification) setting.  If true, then the center x set for 100 yds site in will stay in the center and sited accurately regardless of power.  If the scope is a 3-9 (hypothetically speaking) and the range x's are calibrated for 9 power, than first recheck for zero at the 100 yd x.  Then shoot groups at each power setting lower than 9 (8, than 7, than 6...) until your farthest range (300 yd in your case) groups to that 300 yd x mark.  The ranges inbetween should be fairly close then.  Just know that you must keep the power setting on this new setting for the ranges to be accurate.  Essentially by lowering the power, the relationship between the fixed reticle system and the target view grows, stretching the moa distance between the range marks and causing your groups to move upward on the target.  Try and verify this.  I bet that the correct setting is not too far fro the calibrated setting.  Possibly not even a whole power setting (8 1/2 for instance).  BuzzKill

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2006, 12:00:09 PM »
BuzzKill:  Used the same power setting, 10X all the way through my shooting.  The top turrent on the scope is calibrated from 100 to 300 yards, and specifies 17 grain bullets.  I was shooting Hornady brand ammo.  The 17 grain VMAX bullet.  I shoot from an OUTERS varmit rest.  Wind drift was not a problem, we seldom have wind here in Fairbanks.  I really was surprised at the drop in the elevation.  I seriously expected to be closer.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline jack19512

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2006, 02:21:37 AM »
Posted by jack19512

"Sourdough

Isn't 300 yards really pushing it for the 17 HMR ?"

I take it that's a no.   :grin:   Wasn't trying to be a smart ***.  I really wanted to know.   :grin:   Most I have shot the 17 HMR is 200 yards.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2006, 05:57:06 AM »
Energy levels at 300yds are low, but I know of a prairie dog killed at 309yds, expect about 3' of drop at that range and lots of sighter shots, specially if there's any wind, it took this fella 8-9 shots to zero in on it.

Tim

Offline jack19512

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2006, 01:34:59 PM »
I actually did pretty well with mine at 200 yards.  Really didn't have any idea what the bullet might have left in it as far as energy goes.  We were shooting at paper targets.  

I guess I just thought at 300 yards the 17HMR would be pretty much used up as far as energy goes, I mean for varmints.  And thought a shot might be pretty difficult at 300 yards especially if there is any wind involved.

Where I shoot 200 yards is pretty much the max range.  I haven't got a place to try 300 yards so I could see for myself what the 17HMR will do as far as accuracy goes.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2006, 09:28:34 PM »
Jack:  The BSA Sweet-17 has a turrent on top that is graduated for ranges from 100 yards to 300 yards.  I think it will probably bled off pretty bad by then, energy wise.  But the scope is supposed to be calibrated to hit at that range with 17gr bullets.  All you are supposed to do is dial in the range.  Not working so far.
What Is A Veteran?